How to Stop Phantom Service Trying to Initiate?

I'm running fully updated XP Home SP2. My system log shows
that Service Manager occasionally tries to initiate a service
called Ndiskio and fails with an Event ID of 7000 and the
message "The Ndiskio service failed to start due to the
following error: The system cannot find the path specified".
I think NDISKIO.SYS is a runtime file associated with Norman
Scanner Engine, a component of Norman Anti-Virus which was
pre-installed on my system, and unwanted. I couldn't find
Norman in Add/Delete Programs so, being braver than I am now
after two and a half years experience of XP, I "uninstalled" it
by brute force, deleting all the related settings and files
that I could find. Whence, I suspect, the invalid path. I've
subsequently cleaned the registry with Registry Mechanic.

I'd like to stop the irritating log entries but Ndiskio doesn't
show up in Local Services in control panel or, as far as I can
tell, under the Services tab in msconfig. It does seem to have
a registry entry at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NDISKIO

I've tried deleting the registry entry (now restored) and
rebooting but that didn't prevent the initiation attempts.

I'm not sure where else to look so I'd be grateful if anyone
could suggest what might be causing the phantom initiations,
and how I could try to stop them happening?

The driver/service loads from here:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ndiskio]

:: NORMAN :: Antivirus | Firewall | Network security:
http://www.norman.com/Support/en-us

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> The driver/service loads from here:
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ndiskio]
>
> :: NORMAN :: Antivirus | Firewall | Network security:
> http://www.norman.com/Support/en-us

Many thanks for your help. Deleting the registry entries has
solved the problem. Thanks also for refraining from remarking
that I should have done some more digging before troubling
the newsgroup. Also it might have helpd if I'd realised that
"find" in regedit is case sensitive. Mea culpa.

Dick K

You're welcome!

--

> Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
>> The driver/service loads from here:
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ndiskio]
>>
>> :: NORMAN :: Antivirus | Firewall | Network security:
>> http://www.norman.com/Support/en-us
>>

> Many thanks for your help. Deleting the registry entries has
> solved the problem. Thanks also for refraining from remarking
> that I should have done some more digging before troubling
> the newsgroup. Also it might have helpd if I'd realised that
> "find" in regedit is case sensitive. Mea culpa.
>
> Dick K

Find in regedit is not case sensitive. However you do need to check the
options for it to check keys, values and data (can't remember what the
default is) and then toggle 'match whole string' only as needed.

--
Walter Clayton
http://www.dts-l.org

"Dick K" <rfk2@NOSPAM.btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
>> The driver/service loads from here:
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ndiskio]
>>
>> :: NORMAN :: Antivirus | Firewall | Network security:
>> http://www.norman.com/Support/en-us
>>

> Many thanks for your help. Deleting the registry entries has
> solved the problem. Thanks also for refraining from remarking
> that I should have done some more digging before troubling
> the newsgroup. Also it might have helpd if I'd realised that
> "find" in regedit is case sensitive. Mea culpa.
>
> Dick K

You are right. In trying to explain why I failed to find the relevant
registry entries I jumped to an unwarranted conclusion, as I'm all
too prone to do. Thanks for pointing out the real reason.