Windows no longer recognizes programs

Even with Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Norton Antivirus protecting it, my
system still managed to contract some sixty to seventy viruses in a matter of
a month or two. I had run the cleanup software and it would continually state
that the delete had failed. Frustrated, I recalled that reinstalling Windows
98 without formatting my hard drive had prior wiped the registry clean and
started anew without removing the prior-installed programming. I proceeded to
reinstall XP, but came to find that XP does not share that reassuring backup.
It no longer sees that any of my programs are installed, but they're still
fully in-tact in my My Programs folder; it also ignores all of my hardware
aside from my mouse and keyboard. My CD burner, tablet, printer, and on-board
sound card are nonfunctional, as is my flatscreen monitor (even though I've
reinstalled the monitor's drivers). I had the System Restore turned off
because Norton Antivirus and "Spybot - Seach and Destroy" had told me several
times that having System Restore on could give viruses, adware, and spyware a
foothold to reinstall itself, so I couldn't just go back to the last save
point.

Thus, I have a serious dilemma here. I have sixty programs installed,
totaling roughly 2GB of hard drive space. I really would like to be able to
get XP to recognize my programs without reinstalling them, since half of them
I doubt I have the versions for anymore (installation files that I had gotten
off of the internet and not saved, etc.). If you know how to get Windows to
behave in this particular instance, please email me at
hyperkurai(spam.doesn't.taste.good)@hotmail.com .

I appreciate any aid in my problems.

Perform a "Clean Install"of Windows XP
and then reinstall your programs.

Clean Install Windows XP

3 Steps to help insure your PC is protected:

Antivirus software: Frequently asked questions
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivirus.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Kurai" wrote:

| Even with Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Norton Antivirus protecting it, my
| system still managed to contract some sixty to seventy viruses in a matter of
| a month or two. I had run the cleanup software and it would continually state
| that the delete had failed. Frustrated, I recalled that reinstalling Windows
| 98 without formatting my hard drive had prior wiped the registry clean and
| started anew without removing the prior-installed programming. I proceeded to
| reinstall XP, but came to find that XP does not share that reassuring backup.
| It no longer sees that any of my programs are installed, but they're still
| fully in-tact in my My Programs folder; it also ignores all of my hardware
| aside from my mouse and keyboard. My CD burner, tablet, printer, and on-board
| sound card are nonfunctional, as is my flatscreen monitor (even though I've
| reinstalled the monitor's drivers). I had the System Restore turned off
| because Norton Antivirus and "Spybot - Seach and Destroy" had told me several
| times that having System Restore on could give viruses, adware, and spyware a
| foothold to reinstall itself, so I couldn't just go back to the last save
| point.
|
| Thus, I have a serious dilemma here. I have sixty programs installed,
| totaling roughly 2GB of hard drive space. I really would like to be able to
| get XP to recognize my programs without reinstalling them, since half of them
| I doubt I have the versions for anymore (installation files that I had gotten
| off of the internet and not saved, etc.). If you know how to get Windows to
| behave in this particular instance, please email me at
| hyperkurai(spam.doesn't.taste.good)@hotmail.com .
|
| I appreciate any aid in my problems.

Installing 60 programs is time consuming but the viruses and / or spyware
will remain if you don't format the drive. Whatever you do, you might want to
consider losing the Norton AV. I use it at work and it is useless. Users
constantly get attacked by viruses Norton lets in and then can't remove.

I use McAfee AV/FW at home and never get infected. McAfee catches them and
removes them without a problem. Everyone I know that has purchased a PC with
Norton's one year subscription have wasted their money and had to go out and
get McAfee.