MDAC-based network app VERY slow!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Server: W2K Server, SP4, MDAC Version 2.5 SP3
Client: WXP SP1, MDAC version 2.7 SP1

An application using MDB-files (originally access-based??) is located on the
server. To run the app from a client, a shortcut to the EXE-File is used.
Apparently, no additional DLLs or stuff is needed, so running via Shortcut
does work (definitely NOT the issue here). The app has a central database
(an MDB file) located on the server. I'm not entirely sure what actions are
performed on the client versus server.

When running the app on the client, some steps take e.g. 5 minutes. When
running the same app directly on the server, the same step takes 10
seconds!! What I've done up to now:

(a) checked the basic network throughput. Network looks fine. Copying large
files from server to client and back is fast and reliable.
(b) installed older version of the app which used to run fast. The older
version is now also slow, meaning it's not an issue with the application
itself.
(c) checked the network with a sniffer: there are tons of
Read AndX Response abd Request pakets. However, the paket size is apparently
always <= 512 bytes.

Questions:
(1) What are the main I/O-relevant configurations on the W2K server? I've
found:
HKLM\...\lanmanserver\parameters\Size
HKLM\...\lanmanserver\parameters\SizReqBuf
HKLM\...\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache
HKLM\...\Session Manager\Memory Management\SystemPages
HKLM\...\Session Manager\Memory Management\IoPageLockLimit

(2) I read that AndX blocks can be up to 4kB. Why would the network only use
512 bytes?

Thanx a lot
Simon

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

MDAC is currently at 2.8,try updateing,you should also have JET 4.0 for XP
installed.