Add/Remove Programs Issue

I have recently installed a USB ADSL modem and had recently had problems with
connecting. The modem comes with a CD which allows you to install drivers for
the modem along with personalised software. When it goes through the stages
of installation, it does a scan to check if drivers/software have already
been loaded and if so, gives you the option to uninstall. After clicking
uninstall the wizard goes through its process but fails to uninstall as
running the installation again still only gives you the option to uninstall.
I have checked add/remove programs and it still appears on the list and i
have tried to uninstall from here but with no results. I decided then to
delete the program folder within the C directory, but running the
installation CD again only gives the option to (guess what....) uninstall. Is
the CD getting the status information from Add/Remove programs list? And if
so, is there a way i can remove it (or any information i need to remove) in
order to be able to re-install the drivers?

Mike

What is the make / model of the modem? You are probably assuming that
the CD, which came with the modem contains up to date drivers. That may
not be correct. I fell into that elephant trap with my current Alcatel
modem!

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"MikeDiamond1234" <mike@mdiamond.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have recently installed a USB ADSL modem and had recently had
>problems with
> connecting. The modem comes with a CD which allows you to install
> drivers for
> the modem along with personalised software. When it goes through the
> stages
> of installation, it does a scan to check if drivers/software have
> already
> been loaded and if so, gives you the option to uninstall. After
> clicking
> uninstall the wizard goes through its process but fails to uninstall
> as
> running the installation again still only gives you the option to
> uninstall.
> I have checked add/remove programs and it still appears on the list
> and i
> have tried to uninstall from here but with no results. I decided then
> delete the program folder within the C directory, but running the
> installation CD again only gives the option to (guess what....)
> uninstall. Is
> the CD getting the status information from Add/Remove programs list?
> And if
> so, is there a way i can remove it (or any information i need to
> remove) in
> order to be able to re-install the drivers?

Hi Gerry

The modem came direct from the ISP so i dont know if youve heard of it, its
called a Speedtouch 330. At the moment i have a workgroup of two computers
set up so i installed the modem driver and software instead on the other
computer and it works fine so far...
Are you suggesting that instead of uninstalling the existing drivers that i
should update them instead if there are any available?

"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

> Mike
>
> What is the make / model of the modem? You are probably assuming that
> the CD, which came with the modem contains up to date drivers. That may
> not be correct. I fell into that elephant trap with my current Alcatel
> modem!
>
> --
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FCA
>
> Using invalid email address
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Please tell the newsgroup how any
> suggested solution worked for you.
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> "MikeDiamond1234" <mike@mdiamond.co.uk> wrote in message
> >I have recently installed a USB ADSL modem and had recently had
> >problems with
> > connecting. The modem comes with a CD which allows you to install
> > drivers for
> > the modem along with personalised software. When it goes through the
> > stages
> > of installation, it does a scan to check if drivers/software have
> > already
> > been loaded and if so, gives you the option to uninstall. After
> > clicking
> > uninstall the wizard goes through its process but fails to uninstall
> > as
> > running the installation again still only gives you the option to
> > uninstall.
> > I have checked add/remove programs and it still appears on the list
> > and i
> > have tried to uninstall from here but with no results. I decided then
> > delete the program folder within the C directory, but running the
> > installation CD again only gives the option to (guess what....)
> > uninstall. Is
> > the CD getting the status information from Add/Remove programs list?
> > And if
> > so, is there a way i can remove it (or any information i need to
> > remove) in
> > order to be able to re-install the drivers?

Mike

The manufacturer is Alcatel. I have a Speedtouch but an older model.

Have you checked what you are doing with the Manual -page 13
http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/pdf/st330-usb_manual.pdf

An item in the Table on page 57 may be relevant!

It seems that drivers are to come from the ISP. I seem to recall it was
different for me. Your ISP Technical Support should advise on the
best driver solution.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> [...]
>> > uninstall
>> > as
>> > running the installation again still only gives you the option to
>> > uninstall.
>> > I have checked add/remove programs and it still appears on the list
>> > and i
>> > have tried to uninstall from here but with no results. I decided
>> > then
>> > delete the program folder within the C directory, but running the
>> > installation CD again only gives the option to (guess what....)
>> > uninstall. Is
>> > the CD getting the status information from Add/Remove programs
>> > list?
>> > And if
>> > so, is there a way i can remove it (or any information i need to
>> > remove) in
>> > order to be able to re-install the drivers?

My last message was not quite right concerning availability of latest
drivers. Please see this page:
http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/support.htm

However, your ISP Technical Support should still offer advice. BT did.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
> Mike
>
> The manufacturer is Alcatel. I have a Speedtouch but an older model.
>
> Have you checked what you are doing with the Manual -page 13
> http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/pdf/st330-usb_manual.pdf
>
> An item in the Table on page 57 may be relevant!
>
> It seems that drivers are to come from the ISP. I seem to recall it
> was
> different for me. Your ISP Technical Support should advise on the
> best driver solution.
>
> --
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FCA
>
> Using invalid email address
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Please tell the newsgroup how any
> suggested solution worked for you.
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> "MikeDiamond1234" <mike@mdiamond.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi Gerry
>>
>> The modem came direct from the ISP so i dont know if youve heard of
>> it, its
>> called a Speedtouch 330. At the moment i have a workgroup of two
>> computers
>> set up so i installed the modem driver and software instead on the
>> other
>> computer and it works fine so far...
>> Are you suggesting that instead of uninstalling the existing drivers
>> that i
>> should update them instead if there are any available?
>>
>> "Gerry Cornell" wrote:
>>
>>> Mike
>>>
>>> What is the make / model of the modem? You are probably assuming
>>> that
>>> the CD, which came with the modem contains up to date drivers. That
>>> may
>>> not be correct. I fell into that elephant trap with my current
>>> Alcatel
>>> modem!
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>> Hope this helps.
>>>
>>> Gerry
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>> FCA
>>>
>>> Using invalid email address
>>>
>>> Stourport, Worcs, England
>>> Enquire, plan and execute.
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>> Please tell the newsgroup how any
>>> suggested solution worked for you.
>>>
>>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>>
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>

>>> "MikeDiamond1234" <mike@mdiamond.co.uk> wrote in message

rI didn't realise you were based in England aswell Gerry...I shall try
updating the new driver else call technical support. Its unbelievable
nowadays the standard of after-sales service you receive from these
companies, i spent 30mins waiting on the phone last week trying to get
through....I just gave up.

Thanks a lot for the advice/links anyway. Did you manage to sort your
problem out of interest?

Mike

"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

> Mike
>
> My last message was not quite right concerning availability of latest
> drivers. Please see this page:
> http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/support.htm
>
> However, your ISP Technical Support should still offer advice. BT did.
>
> --
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FCA
>
> Using invalid email address
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Please tell the newsgroup how any
> suggested solution worked for you.
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
> > Mike
> >
> > The manufacturer is Alcatel. I have a Speedtouch but an older model.
> >
> > Have you checked what you are doing with the Manual -page 13
> > http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/pdf/st330-usb_manual.pdf
> >
> > An item in the Table on page 57 may be relevant!
> >
> > It seems that drivers are to come from the ISP. I seem to recall it
> > was
> > different for me. Your ISP Technical Support should advise on the
> > best driver solution.
> >
> > --
> >

> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Gerry
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > FCA
> >
> > Using invalid email address
> >
> > Stourport, Worcs, England
> > Enquire, plan and execute.
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Please tell the newsgroup how any
> > suggested solution worked for you.
> >
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >

> > "MikeDiamond1234" <mike@mdiamond.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> Hi Gerry
> >>
> >> The modem came direct from the ISP so i dont know if youve heard of
> >> it, its
> >> called a Speedtouch 330. At the moment i have a workgroup of two
> >> computers
> >> set up so i installed the modem driver and software instead on the
> >> other
> >> computer and it works fine so far...
> >> Are you suggesting that instead of uninstalling the existing drivers
> >> that i
> >> should update them instead if there are any available?

Mike

Yes I got a driver update. If you can avoid calling Technical Support
during the evening you may get through easier. However, there is an
awful lot of suggestions in the Manual.

--

Regards.

Gerry