cmos issue

Joe

Every time I disconnect my Compaq Presario 8000T from AC power, two
problems happen. One, as soon as I reconnect it to the outlet, the
computer turns on without waiting for me to press the power button.
Second, I get a message that says "Default BIOS settings have been
loaded due to BIOS update or checksum issue. CMOS Date/TIme Not Set.
Press <F1> for setup, <F2> to continue." It continues after a few
seconds, but at that point all the BIOS settings have been reset to
defaults including the date/time. I tried pulling out the CMOS battery
and then putting it back in after a few minutes. Everything seemed to
work fine after that. I reconeected the computer and it didn't turn on
till I pressed the power button. Then I didn't get the above message.
I then made a change to the computer (connected another drive) then
the problem repeated itself. I suspect it's a problem with the CMOS
batter. I just wanted to get some confirmation from others.

Thanks

Replace the battery. These are typical symptoms of a dead or comatose
battery... Ben Myers