Need help with AthlonXP and Epox 8kt3

G

OK, I just got a new new Athlon XP 1700+ for X-mas and put it on an Epox 8kt3 mobo I had. Epox shows that it's bigger brother, the 8kt3+, whose only difference is RAID, has support for the chip, and it looks like they never tested the 8kt3. Anyway, the system will not run on a 133 bus. The comp will lock up at random places, and I can never get to windows. At 130 and 127, windows starts, but is unstable, and I lose USB. The system runs at 124, but at this setting the memory runs at 124, PCI at 31, and the CPU is only running at 1364. When I put the jumper on the board to a 100mhz bus, I can get basically any speed upto the limits of the componts (right now I am at 106 bus, with 142 memory, and 36 PCI, and CPU at 1166.) What should I do? I feel pissed off cause I paid 170 bucks for this and I can't get to it's full potential.

A little more. I have never had success flashing the BIOS on this board. When I do, I can't get the system to boot until I clear the CMOS. And the voltage is not right. When I set the voltage to 1.75, it comes out at 1.82. Set it to 1.7, I get 1.76. And set it at 1.65, I get 1.71. I thought this might help, and it is something else that is bugging me.

OK, one more thing What should I run it at right now, a 1364 CPU with slow memory and PCI bus, or at 1166 with a fast memory and PCI bus. I think the later is better, but what do you think.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A little more. I have never had success flashing the BIOS on this board. When I do, I can't get the system to boot until I clear the CMOS. And the voltage is not right. When I set the voltage to 1.75, it comes out at 1.82. Set it to 1.7, I get 1.76. And set it at 1.65, I get 1.71. I thought this might help, and it is something else that is bugging me.
Uh..., you supposed to <b><font color=red>clear</b></font color=red> CMOS after flashing BIOS for your system works properly!
About voltage, my Asus A7V133 and Abit KG7-RAID did the same.
Anyway, what brand and spec of your RAM? (In my case it usually the problem)

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

On my Abit KT7-RAID I never had to clear the CMOS, but anyway.
Memory is Kingston PC133 memory, 512MB. I doubt that this is the problem as I have been using this memory for almost a year on this baord. Come to think of this, I might have cause this problem in the first place. Back last year I had a Duron on this baord, and I had it running on 133 bus. Then I flashed the BIOS, and it has never worked right on 133 since.