Cas141

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I have a major problem for which I am looking for advice. I think my computer is in a bad way, possibly dead.
I was playing my flight simulator when the monitor suddenly went blank. The HD has
stopped going and all I have is a number of lights to my joystick and the front of the
computer which shows that power is getting there.
I tried to re boot, but nothing happened, apart from the "power-indicating" lights
coming on. There was no beep and no activity at all.
So I disconnected the plugs and waited a couple of minutes and ... still the same.
I have put the windows ME startup disk in (whilst the power was off,) switched on....
still the same.
According to my PC magazine, I should have had some sort of activity when i used
the start up disk.
So, what is the verdict ? and what is my next step please?
Is my hard drive dead? Motherboard?
The ironic thing is that a recent run of Norton utilities gave it a good disk health !
I can open the cd tray when I am "switched on", but nothing else happens.
Also, during previous 24 hrs , whilst using a flight sim programme, the computer suddenly switched off as if shut down, 'cos scan disk ran saying there had been a bad shut down.

flywheel

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
I'm thinking about this... how many sticks of RAM do you have in the mobo? If you have more than one, try taking all out but one and see if the PC boots. This may not help but I did read something similar happening to someone a while back. A stick of RAM was not quite seated and it was causing the PC to not boot like this. Probably not that simple in your case. What kind of processor are you running? Your PC could also have gone into a thermal shutdown... I suppose. Were you playing that game long?

<font color=blue>learning something new everyday</font color=blue> :wink:

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Well it is scarry of course, so we check the simplest things first:
Had you been checking temp readings at any time and how were they ?
Most component failures, including mem, usually give beep codes from BIOS at bootup. You do not get any beeps?
How old and what quality is your psu ? Yes you have a chance that it is only the psu you need to upgrade.
Have you ungraded any components or installed any demanding progs prior to this happening. Any errors prior. Ok your prior 24 hr scandisk error was from Norton, right ? Um!
I'm wondering about virus.
Also you could try this: detach the DD and try booting with bootdisk, perhaps a virus has smashed your win sys files and boot sectors. What does bios do when dd is querried?
Don't quite !

Danny

Nostradamus: "In the year 2002 naked alien women will descend to earth"