66 running processes?

Hey all, quick question. Does 66 running processes seem like a lot? I cannot
seem to find a thread regarding this. (I'm sure there is, stopped looking
after 45 minutes) It doesn't seem to slow my computer at all. I AM running
quite a bit on here as far as spyware, virus scans, webshots, etc. It's also
a media center 2004 computer with all the trim so there are quite a few
windows processes on there. Even with AOL running, my computer is only using
430MB of RAM and I have 1GB. I have seen other threads where people have
40-50 running and they seem to think that is a lot. I have run all 5 of my
spyware programs, and anything that would pick up on programs that shouldn't
be here. Most of the running processes seem to look legit but 66 seems high
to me. I'm just curious what others are like with a fully loaded computer.
Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about running processes

    Jeremy;
    Step 13 on this link will help you identify them:

    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "JeremyJ" <JeremyJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hey all, quick question. Does 66 running processes seem like a lot? I
    > cannot
    > seem to find a thread regarding this. (I'm sure there is, stopped looking
    > after 45 minutes) It doesn't seem to slow my computer at all. I AM running
    > quite a bit on here as far as spyware, virus scans, webshots, etc. It's
    > also
    > a media center 2004 computer with all the trim so there are quite a few
    > windows processes on there. Even with AOL running, my computer is only
    > using
    > 430MB of RAM and I have 1GB. I have seen other threads where people have
    > 40-50 running and they seem to think that is a lot. I have run all 5 of my
    > spyware programs, and anything that would pick up on programs that
    > shouldn't
    > be here. Most of the running processes seem to look legit but 66 seems
    > high
    > to me. I'm just curious what others are like with a fully loaded computer.
    > Thanks.

    If you are having no problems, then leave things the way they are.. back in
    the days of Win 9x/ME, it was a problem, but XP is far more capable of
    supporting multiple processes..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "JeremyJ" <JeremyJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hey all, quick question. Does 66 running processes seem like a lot? I
    > cannot
    > seem to find a thread regarding this. (I'm sure there is, stopped looking
    > after 45 minutes) It doesn't seem to slow my computer at all. I AM running
    > quite a bit on here as far as spyware, virus scans, webshots, etc. It's
    > also
    > a media center 2004 computer with all the trim so there are quite a few
    > windows processes on there. Even with AOL running, my computer is only
    > using
    > 430MB of RAM and I have 1GB. I have seen other threads where people have
    > 40-50 running and they seem to think that is a lot. I have run all 5 of my
    > spyware programs, and anything that would pick up on programs that
    > shouldn't
    > be here. Most of the running processes seem to look legit but 66 seems
    > high
    > to me. I'm just curious what others are like with a fully loaded computer.
    > Thanks.

    Hi Jeremy,

    I'm no expert but if it's any use as "confidence" booster for you. I've got
    Win XP, a firewall and an AV and about seven background utilities, and with
    just IE6 running as an extra so I can post this my Task Manager shows I have
    44 processes loaded taking 290MB of my 512MB RAM and 750MB swap file.

    You say "running", but do you actaully mean "loaded". If I watch mine in
    Task Manger, almost all the time almost all of them are not doing anything -
    which as far as I know is perfectly normal as only a usually small handful of
    relevant ones should spring into action when Windows is doing a bit of
    houskeeping or I'm using a related program.

    I mainly just surf the net and from what you say you've got about 30% more
    happening on your machine, if you have 66 processes loading that sounds to me
    what you might expect anyway.

    I use FreeRAM XP Pro (a popular freebie anywhere off the internet if you
    haven't got it) to manage the RAm, seems real good, never given me any
    problems, runs entirely on its own in the background).

    If you haven't got a problem dont try and fix one, but if you want I'd
    suggest first thing open Task Manager and look at the Aplications panel
    rather than the Processes one, and with each programs ask if you really do
    want it to load right from boot up, or could you take it off the load list
    and just start it from an ordinary desktop icon when you did actually want to
    use it. [Quite a lot of programs load several processes so you might cut your
    list a lot just by doing that with one or two programs].

    Stopping programs you use loading early is only likely to make much
    difference though if you're actually noticing lots of sluggishness or crashes
    all the time, because any processes left out at start up will load anyway
    when you call up their programs. In that case FreeRAM could be a better thing
    to try.

    PS: Most of the processes in my machine are about 2 to 8 MB in size, about
    seven are 10 to 20MB, and three are 40MB. The larger ones cause most of the
    start up delay whilst my AV scans them during their loading (From when I
    click my blue screen account icon to when the desktop becomes set up and
    usable takes about 40 seconds - and included in that is a period of about 10
    seconds during which the machine is getting its broadband access sorted out
    with my isp's server, so the underlying basic boot is really 30 seconds -
    it's hardly fair to inlcude the time it takes the isp to notice my machine
    has come online is it). If, offline, I stop my broadband, firewall and
    antivirus loading then the machine will boot in about 8 seconds, which from
    what I've heard is about as fast as it gets for an 2.6GHz multimedia system:
    unless you want to do things to it that might well have it send your home up
    in flames - together with all your licenses, warranties and insurances.

    IE: I think you probably haven't got a problem. :)

    Hi Jeremy,

    One minute or so to boot up is not so bad, don't forget you're running more
    than me, and that there are all sorts of options in Windows and the other
    software loading in our machines that could well make quite a big difference
    in how long it takes them to boot.

    Don't worry if the machine seems to take a while to shutdown, as it does so
    Windows and any other runing programs usually do a bit of tidying up to be
    ready to do the next start up fairly quickly, so what happens will depend
    very much on how much you have done on the machine in the session concerned,
    more likely in terms of how varied it was rather than in it's plain quantity.
    With the way I use my machine I would say if I bothered to measure the times
    and plot them I would get something like a standard bell shapped probability
    curve ranging from about half a minute to five minutes, and with most of the
    shutdown durations falling between about 45 seconds and one and a half
    minutes.

    So, I'd say, carry on computing! And if one day you feel inclined to do
    anything as a tidy up, do a new posting listing the programs that start up
    and asking which ones you could change so as to only load when you actually
    want them to - if you want you could probably get all the information to go
    into the posting by using Microsoft's free "bootvis" utility - it'll be on
    this site somewhere, try a search for it, it will give you a fairly easy to
    grasp diagram showing you when each program loads during bootup and how long
    each of them takes to do so, it might look as though your Antivrus is taking
    longest but remember it's section of the plot will probably be showing you
    the time it is spending scanning the other stuff as it lets that load up.
    I'd say get bootvis and have a look even if only as a sort of computing
    general knowledge thing.

    No need to reply.

    Two words:

    Backup --> Format

    Anything over 30 processes with all utilities runing is FAR TOO MANY.

    Format then install the following:

    XPSP2
    Microsoft Anti-Spyware
    AntiVir
    Firefox
    K-Lite Codec Pack (Media Player Classic)

    You will have no more problems unless you do somthing amazingly
    unhealthy for your computer, this would be the best course of action
    because by the time you have amassed that many problems you have
    corrupted and destroyed the operating system itself. Format is the
    only REAL fix for your situation.

Computers Windows XP