Crashes, freezes and soooooo slow

Hi I an running XP home edition and over the past few months have been
experiencing more and more crashes and freezes, some while playing games but
the most annoying while shutting down.
Also my PC has become so slow to load and use, it is really driving me mad.
Maybee the 2 problems are linked. Someone has suggested to me to back up all
files and to reload XP. Is this a possibility or rather excessive. Also how
would I back up and reload. PC novice so need simple instructions- Sorry

It sounds to me like spyware. I would goto www.download.com and download
these 2 programs: spybot and adaware. If you already have other antispyware
programs installed, please uninstall them. After downloading, install and
update, then run a scan. First with adaware, then with spybot.

If you still have problems after this, let me know.

Rob R.