Disk (Volume) Error Checking

Question: In WinME, whenever I had an incorrect Windows shutdown, Ckdisk or
Scandisk would automatically run upon re-start.
Does this happen with Win XP Pro 2 ?

Reason I ask is the other day my shutdown hung and I had to manually turn
off my computer. Upon re-start, I saw no evidence of any error checking.

I know how to run this manually from the tools in My Computer - is manually
the way to do this in XP? And why will this only happen upon re-boot? In
WinME is would perform the manual scan immediately within Window.

Thanks for any info on this.
2 answers Last reply
More about disk volume error checking

    > Question: In WinME, whenever I had an incorrect Windows shutdown, Ckdisk
    > or
    > Scandisk would automatically run upon re-start.
    > Does this happen with Win XP Pro 2 ?

    Windows ME uses the FAT32 file system. Windows XP can use FAT32 but the
    default is NTFS. It sounds like you are using NTFS. NTFS is much more robust
    than FAT32. NTFS uses journaling. If an improper shutdown happens it only
    has to check the last few operations to make sure integrity is preserved.
    FAT32 doesn't know what happened last so the whole file structure has to be
    checked.

    Kerry Brown
    KDB Systems

    "Lexus" wrote:

    > Question: In WinME, whenever I had an incorrect Windows shutdown, Ckdisk or
    > Scandisk would automatically run upon re-start.
    > Does this happen with Win XP Pro 2 ?
    >
    > Reason I ask is the other day my shutdown hung and I had to manually turn
    > off my computer. Upon re-start, I saw no evidence of any error checking.
    >
    > I know how to run this manually from the tools in My Computer - is manually
    > the way to do this in XP? And why will this only happen upon re-boot? In
    > WinME is would perform the manual scan immediately within Window.
    >
    > Thanks for any info on this.

    XP is very good a repairing itself,if needed chkdisk will run at bootup if
    it doesn't then their's no need to worry about it.

Windows XP