I installed SP2 quite immediately after it was released and it all works fine
– except one thing. After I installed SP2 it takes about five to ten minutes
for my computer to complete the boot-sequence. After a couple of minutes I
get a warning from the Security Center saying my computers firewall is turned
off (which it’s not) and after another five minutes or so I can start working
with my computer and it all seems fine. I have tried running all Microsoft’s
updates and I have also bought Lavasoft’s s Ad-Aware and also an application
for optimizing my registry. Unfortunately nothing gets the job done. I simply
have do wait for five to ten minutes to start working. It’s quite annoying. I
guess it all should work if I reinstalled it – but as you all know it’s not
the funniest thing to do anymore…

Thanks in advance!

/Niklas Fagrell

What is your Firewall?

Poor system performance can be the result of a single problem or a
combination of factors. Listed
below are issues, which you may wish to examine if you are experiencing
poor performance after
the boot process has completed. Some items may help with slow starting
of Windows XP but the
list has not been prepared for tackling that problem. Work through the
list until you achieve an
acceptable result.
Regular and effective housekeeping is essential. What you do and how
often you do it will depend
on how you use your computer. A suggested routine may include:
1. In Outlook Express empty your Deleted Items folder.
2. In Outlook Express run File, Folder, Compact All whilst OFFLINE.
3. Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk
Cleanup with
Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional), System Restore
( more Options tab )
and Recycle Bin selected for deletion. If you have more than one drive /
partition you may
need to do this operation for each drive / partition.
4. Remove Cookies. Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, General,
Delete Cookies.
5. Run Disk Defragmenter.

Check whether you could reduce the number of days the History of sites
visited is retained. Start,
Control Panel, Internet Options, General, History.
Spyware causes many problems. If not installed download Adaware and / or
update Reference file
from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ and use it to remove
parasites. If Spyware
persists as a problem try a Hosts file.
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html
Slow performance resulting from insufficient memory, causing over
reliance on virtual memory,
may be especially noticed by those upgrading to Windows XP from an
earlier version of Windows.
Windows XP will run with 64 MB of RAM memory. However, a minimum of 256
MB is
recommended and many users will recommend 512 MB. You may check on
pagefile (virtual
memory) usage with Page File Monitor for XP:
http://www.dougknox.com/

Check how much free space you have on the hard drive / partition where
your pagefile is located.
You need a minimum of 15% but 20% or more is better.

Check your setting for the Indexing Service. Start, Administrative
Tools, Services, Indexing
Service. The default setting is Manual. Check that it is not running.
More information here:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm#Indexing_Service
You can have too many programmes running in the background. Close
programmes/windows after
use. Check whether all the programmes loading when Windows is started
are really necessary.
http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm
Check whether you can identify slow performance with a particular
programme. Look in Google to
see whether others have encountered the same problem and found a
solution.
http://groups.google.com/
Are there any error messages in Event Viewer? You can access Event
Viewer by selecting Start,
Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning of
the error, information
regarding Event ID: and Source Description is important.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Niklas Fagrell" <Niklas Fagrell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:689B3CB3-BF94-4660-B9FC-B30228182BBB@microsoft.com...
>I installed SP2 quite immediately after it was released and it all
>works fine
> – except one thing. After I installed SP2 it takes about five to ten
> minutes
> for my computer to complete the boot-sequence. After a couple of
> minutes I
> get a warning from the Security Center saying my computers firewall is
> turned
> off (which it’s not) and after another five minutes or so I can start
> working
> with my computer and it all seems fine. I have tried running all
> Microsoft’s
> updates and I have also bought Lavasoft’s s Ad-Aware and also an
> application
> for optimizing my registry. Unfortunately nothing gets the job done. I
> simply
> have do wait for five to ten minutes to start working. It’s quite
> annoying. I
> guess it all should work if I reinstalled it – but as you all know it’s
> not
> the funniest thing to do anymore…
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> /Niklas Fagrell

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I think you misunderstood me a little. I
have already tried all the things you suggested. What I mean is that it seems
to be when Windows XP is preparing the network connections and the firewall
(which is included in SP2) something’s taking time. These are my symptoms:
1 the computer boots fast and as usual
2 everything seems fine if you just start Word (or a similar application),
but if you try to access your network connections (or the Internet, LAN or
something else that is connected to your network connections) the process
hangs – but everything else is still working just fine
3 after a couple of minutes Microsoft Security Center warns me about my
firewall is disable (which it’s not) – and I can’t enable it yet
4 after another couple of minutes my network connections seems to be fully
enabled and the firewall also (whit me doing anything)
So all I have to do is to start my computer and wait for about five to ten
minutes and everything is running fine (and fast). I just think that it’s
something wrong with the update in SP2 (on just my machine) that took care of
the leak between the logon time and when the firewall was enabled (before SP2
there was a time leak when nothing was protecting Windows network
connections). I have seen that others have the same problem but I haven’t
found anyone who have solved it.

If anyone knows what I’m talking about I would appreciate some help!

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Niklas Fagrell

"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

> [...]
> > minutes
> > for my computer to complete the boot-sequence. After a couple of
> > minutes I
> > get a warning from the Security Center saying my computers firewall is
> > turned
> > off (which it’s not) and after another five minutes or so I can start
> > working
> > with my computer and it all seems fine. I have tried running all
> > Microsoft’s
> > updates and I have also bought Lavasoft’s s Ad-Aware and also an
> > application
> > for optimizing my registry. Unfortunately nothing gets the job done. I
> > simply
> > have do wait for five to ten minutes to start working. It’s quite
> > annoying. I
> > guess it all should work if I reinstalled it – but as you all know it’s

Nicklas

I would check that you have the Firewall enabled properly

How to turn on or turn off the Internet firewall in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283673

To view the Video in this Knowledge Base Article click the > arrow right
object under the Video screen. I had not seen this feature before and
found it helpful.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Niklas Fagrell" <NiklasFagrell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:7838FDDD-4AF0-4122-BF10-7098D839DD90@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> > minutes I
>> > get a warning from the Security Center saying my computers firewall
>> > is
>> > turned
>> > off (which it’s not) and after another five minutes or so I can
>> > start
>> > working
>> > with my computer and it all seems fine. I have tried running all
>> > Microsoft’s
>> > updates and I have also bought Lavasoft’s s Ad-Aware and also an
>> > application
>> > for optimizing my registry. Unfortunately nothing gets the job
>> > done. I
>> > simply
>> > have do wait for five to ten minutes to start working. It’s quite
>> > annoying. I
>> > guess it all should work if I reinstalled it – but as you all know

Thanks again for your answer!

I have enabled the firewall correctly.

Any other ideas?

Best,