mp3 files on CD

carlos

Distinguished
May 5, 2002

Hi,
I've several CD's where I once downloaded music (mp3
files) and I'm trying to copy the files back into my new
HD. So far I've copied eight CD's without a hitch but
I'am having problems with this particular one. When I
start the copying process it transfers a handfull of
files and then the PC becomes sluggish and eventualy bugs
down. I re-start the PC and everything is back to normal.
Apparently it is something wrong with one of the CD
tracks and I fear I may loose my files. I hope one of you
can give me an idea on how to save them. If I make a CD
copy, will the error (whatever it is) will be duplicated?
Thanks for your help.
Carlos

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:150201c51b5b$6354c180$a401280a@phx.gbl,
Carlos <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> If I make a CD
> copy, will the error (whatever it is) will be duplicated?
> Thanks for your help.
> Carlos

Probably unless you use some sort of third party tool to fix the error. What
I'd recommend before you try that is have you tried to copy one or two files
off of the CD at a time first? If you do this you may find that it's only
one file that's giving you the problem which is why nothing is being copied.
Another option is to give IsoBuster a shot:

http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/system/fwdatarecovery.shtml

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

bar

Why don't you try the slow and deliberate process of copying one file or two
at a time. The you may be able to 'single out' the offending track and not
trash a whole CD, because of lazieness.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:150201c51b5b$6354c180$a401280a@phx.gbl,
> Carlos <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
>

> > If I make a CD
> > copy, will the error (whatever it is) will be duplicated?
> > Thanks for your help.
> > Carlos
>
> Probably unless you use some sort of third party tool to fix the error. What
> I'd recommend before you try that is have you tried to copy one or two files
> off of the CD at a time first? If you do this you may find that it's only
> one file that's giving you the problem which is why nothing is being copied.
> Another option is to give IsoBuster a shot:
>
> http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/system/fwdatarecovery.shtml
>
> Galen
>
> --
>
> "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
> the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
> in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
> stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
> mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

carlos

Distinguished
May 5, 2002

Thanks,
I have already tried moving one file at the time but now
as soon as I put the CD in my CD drive I get a time out
error message (System ID 9) and everything goes crazy.
There is no doubt I have a bad block in my CD but I have
not figured out how to bypass it.
Thanks,
Carlos