joe_tlj

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2003
Am I the only one who notices how opera contradicts it's self when it reports the speed on page loads?

<A HREF="http://www.slate-ne.com/opera.jpg" target="_new"> Opera's flawed math </A>

This example is pretty common, 116/29=4 so 4.2 is only 5% off, but it's consistently 5% off. I'm guessing the algorithm is:
Speed = (Speed = total data / time loading) + Speed*1/20;

This is obviously a conspiracy, and it smacks of Chinese mind control, karaoke, and optimistic thinking. The optimistic thinking is related to the algorithm, which probably would need a new language written around it to complile. I'll let you figure out where mind control and karaoke reveal themselves.

I can't breath!
Forgive me a cruel chuckle, hehe, power!

pat

Expert
the loading speed is calculated during all the loading process and is sampled many time. And download speeed, on dialup are not as constant as text will likely download faster than images. So what you have at the end is the average. you may have done 9 or 10 KB/s for a short period of time while the text was downloaded (because text can be easyly compressed by the modem for faster transfer) but go down to 3-4 while compressed [which cannot be compressed anymore as jpeg are already compressed)images were downloaded.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
Billy Gates proclaimed from the royal Redmond palace, just last week, that when Princess Vista wrath is unleashed to the world, you will be an eternal geek outcast if any other browser than IE is considered. And if another is actually attempted to be installed, you PC will self destruct (as it sometimes will do this anyway) and he will take your first born to pay for your sins of mutiny.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

pat

Expert
Hehe.. looks fun.. Except from having my new born to pay.. Well I still have to get a child, so let the fun begin!!

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

joe_tlj

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2003
the loading speed is calculated during all the loading process and is sampled many time.
If the speed was calculated as often as the KB counter or clock was updated then there would be no 5% error, regaurdless of speeed fluctuations.

So what you have at the end is the average.
Ahh, but I don't have the average. The average would be Total KB / Total Time.

I think the real issue it that the speed calculator & KB-time counters aren't updated as often as they should be.

I can't breath!
Forgive me a cruel chuckle, hehe, power!