oCrap, there's some new iCrap!
Score
Anonymous
November 9, 2010 7:58:42 PM

for the iPad thats a little schiz
Score
Related resources
November 9, 2010 8:00:27 PM

"Failing that, you could buy a real 9-inch netbook for less money and with a full-featured OS that will let you do a lot more than the iPad. Your call."

Saw the article title and immediately thought the same thing. Even for a base iPad 16GB, you'd end up spending over $700 for what will essentially be a slow netbook with a touch screen. I guess if you bought an iPad before realizing how gimped it is without a real keyboard, this might be a decent addon...
Score
November 9, 2010 8:09:18 PM

Umm, no thanks. I'll stick with my dual core, dual gpu, dual battery, dual touch-screen (capacitive and digital pen), tablet-pc. It runs windows 7, plays games such (as Borderlands, SC2, Fallout 3), has better resolution and a bigger screen... and the list goes on and on. I paid less for it than I would for an ipad + crux combo and for all the advantages my only disadvantages are that it's a bit thicker and heavier - but not that much.
Score
November 9, 2010 8:20:17 PM

Jane McEntegart"Failing that, you could buy a real 9-inch netbook for less money and with a full-featured OS that will let you do a lot more than the iPad. Your call."

Best line I've seen in a news post in quite a while; sums it all up quite well.

Still, interesting to see what's been made; while Apple's products have almost never been known for the capabilities they brought for the price, they HAVE always been known for pushing miniaturization in ways that arguably go too far: MP3 players small enough to swallow, laptops thin enough to slip out of your hands, and phones tiny enough to not have glass without it cracking. So to see an iPad-based netbook is INTERESTING, even if not PRACTICAL.
Score
November 9, 2010 8:33:15 PM

Something tells me money is no option for the Apple faithful. Of course, this isn't branded by Apple, so it probably won't catch-on. Of course, Apple might release something similar in the future, and people will praise Apple for its ingenuity.
Score
November 9, 2010 8:44:20 PM

So now I can play Crysis on an iPad? Is there an App for that & how can iAvoid holding it wrongly? ;-)
Score
November 9, 2010 8:53:42 PM

I actually like the idea.
Score
November 9, 2010 8:54:56 PM

If I was going to spend that much I'd just buy an HP tm2t to get something that could actually be useful in that configuration.
Score
November 9, 2010 9:11:40 PM

Pointless. The iPad is meant to be an entertainment device, not a netbook.
Score
November 9, 2010 9:54:05 PM

didymus03Umm, no thanks. I'll stick with my dual core, dual gpu, dual battery, dual touch-screen (capacitive and digital pen), tablet-pc. It runs windows 7, plays games such (as Borderlands, SC2, Fallout 3), has better resolution and a bigger screen... and the list goes on and on. I paid less for it than I would for an ipad + crux combo and for all the advantages my only disadvantages are that it's a bit thicker and heavier - but not that much.

What tablet is it?
Score
November 9, 2010 10:54:29 PM

SneakySnakeWhat tablet is it?

I was wondering the same thing.
Score
November 10, 2010 12:24:18 AM

I would rather buy a netbook.
Score
November 10, 2010 1:44:00 AM

Acutally this is a great idea! Not from a logical view, but from a business standpoint. Let me explain:

A. User buys Ipad because they think it's better than a netbook.
2. User realizes Ipad is pointless and they really needed a netbook.
D. Rather than admitting stupidity for being suckered into Apple's marketing campaign, instead of paying another $300 for an actual netbook, it costs LESS to buy a netbook attachment! Now they can covert their device into the exact thing that they were trying to avoid, but really needed in the first place.

They were even smart enough to leave the Apple logo showing! We all know how critical that is to the functionality of computers. Genius.
Score
November 10, 2010 1:53:15 AM

SneakySnakeWhat tablet is it?

It's a mythical tablet created by a person who dislikes something so bad they have to resort to wild fabrications to try and make a point.
Score
November 10, 2010 2:22:09 AM

why bother buying ipad after all? just buy nice netbook, cheaper & more feature than ipad..
Score
November 10, 2010 3:01:41 AM

Fail.
Score
November 10, 2010 3:04:57 AM

Heck, even the Macbook Air would be reasonable (pricewise) compared to this solution. Still won't court much more iPad buyers
Score
November 10, 2010 3:45:58 AM

Great. Now if only we had a gadget that allowed us to deal with the fact that you just spent $650 on a convertible netbook with a crap processor 1ghz processor and 16gb of hard drive space.
Score
November 10, 2010 4:31:04 AM

I am shocked they are not getting sued by apple for making this.
Score
November 10, 2010 4:35:23 AM

I've got an iPad, and as a portable way to view your documents and media its great.

But as a way to create media, it's downright aweful. Lack of flash is a massive thing, but you learn to live without it, and more and more sights are making HTML5 versions. That said, I would still pay a kingly sum to have flash on the iPad.

I wouldn't buy a netbook personally, if you want a laptop, go into the midrange of things and spend ~$1000. Doesn't have to be a macbook, although for students I'd recommend that cuz of the behemoth battery life. Install windows 7 if you hate OS X. You can get a somewhat decent gaming PC laptop for that price as well, like the M11x.

So in conclusion, if your gonna cheap out, get an iPad (or similar product, like the Playbook when it's out). The iPad, atm, is the best choice, but that's gonna change when the other manufacturers get their products out.

If you do want a laptop/netbook, spend the extra few hundred and get a decent laptop (no atom CPU, etc.).
Score
November 10, 2010 5:09:41 AM

They really should have went with a 7" model too. It's THE size I want in an MID. 10 is too big, 4 is too small.
Score
November 10, 2010 5:10:58 AM

LOL. isn't it expensive enough already? how much more money can you throw at this thing? :D 
Score
November 10, 2010 5:29:33 AM

people bying this thing would also put money if Apple was involved as these people dont care what they are getting just the Apple name is enough
Score
November 10, 2010 6:34:37 AM

Just buy a netbook with half that money, and donate the rest to a good cause.

Apple users should be doing just that. Instead of wasting money on a corporation that knows no philanthropy.
Score
November 10, 2010 6:42:49 AM

"What tablet is it?"

"I was wondering the same thing."

"If I was going to spend that much I'd just buy an HP tm2t to get something that could actually be useful in that configuration."

"It's a mythical tablet created by a person who dislikes something so bad they have to resort to wild fabrications to try and make a point."
Score
November 10, 2010 6:52:27 AM

Orionantares was actually spot on with the first comment I quoted here. My tablet pc is actually an HP touchsmart tm2. To solidify and expand on my first comment: first of all, I bought mine with a coupon. It came out to something like $739 or so. You can check out logicbuy and get the newer ones for quite cheap as well. Mine has a core2 duo processor but the latest ones have corei3 and i5. Some other thoughts I had in comparison to an ipad. They ipad does have an SSD so that could be another disadvantage for some people... however I have 500gb rather than 16 or 32. I also have 4gb ram rather than 256 or 512mb. You can look up something like 'HP TouchSmart tm2t Tablet PC Gaming Performance Benchmarks' in youtube if you want to see how it performs in games. I use mine for casual gaming, couch tablet surfing, and digital drawing (it has a wonderful wacom active digitizer that works great).
Score
November 10, 2010 7:05:22 AM

The probably I have with netbooks is that they're supposedly of extremely inferior quality and have a much higher failure rate compared to notebooks. If you want a laptop for productivity, then you're probably better off just getting an older model notebook on sale. And unless the netbook has Linux, I don't know how you can call it a fully-featured OS, since it would most probably have Windows 7 Starter, which was absolutely horrible when I was setting up my dad's new netbook. The only feature it has is making your netbook as difficult to use as possible.
Score
Anonymous
November 10, 2010 7:14:57 AM

iPad
iBook
iCrux
iCrud? An attempt to make better of a bad situation, but honestly?
If you have the iPad and the spare cash, by all means...
Otherwise get a real netbook or wait for Apple to do it properly.
Score
November 10, 2010 7:27:41 AM

Turn your netbook into a netbook for $0.
Score
November 10, 2010 7:35:21 AM

It's obviously aimed at people who already own an iPad. You probably aren't going to buy an iPad AND buy the Crux at the same time. You have an iPad, you like the mobility, the touchscreen, apps, w/e. But there are times / days where you need more from it, such as a keyboard for days you have class, or times when you need to mass-respond to work emails, whatever the reason.

That being said, it's actually a very nice product. Since it's for the iPad, it's already marketed towards people with ample disposable income. This isn't really a product for the budget-conscious out there. The product looks well thought out, it's got a slick design, the movie stand was a nice touch. If I were someone who owned an iPad, I would probably invest in this as well.

I don't see any reason to knock it. The Crux allows you to have both a tablet AND a netbook, whereas if you bought a netbook, you'd just have a netbook. And be honest with yourselves, "full-featured netbook" is an oxymoron.
Score
November 10, 2010 8:41:11 AM

didymus03Orionantares was actually spot on with the first comment I quoted here. My tablet pc is actually an HP touchsmart tm2. To solidify and expand on my first comment: first of all, I bought mine with a coupon. It came out to something like $739 or so. You can check out logicbuy and get the newer ones for quite cheap as well. Mine has a core2 duo processor but the latest ones have corei3 and i5. Some other thoughts I had in comparison to an ipad. They ipad does have an SSD so that could be another disadvantage for some people... however I have 500gb rather than 16 or 32. I also have 4gb ram rather than 256 or 512mb. You can look up something like 'HP TouchSmart tm2t Tablet PC Gaming Performance Benchmarks' in youtube if you want to see how it performs in games. I use mine for casual gaming, couch tablet surfing, and digital drawing (it has a wonderful wacom active digitizer that works great).

That's not a tablet. It's a laptop. Even amazon says so.
Score
November 10, 2010 9:03:12 AM

wait for touchscreen macbook air.
Score
November 10, 2010 11:40:25 AM

didymus03Orionantares was actually spot on with the first comment I quoted here. My tablet pc is actually an HP touchsmart tm2. To solidify and expand on my first comment: first of all, I bought mine with a coupon. It came out to something like $739 or so. You can check out logicbuy and get the newer ones for quite cheap as well. Mine has a core2 duo processor but the latest ones have corei3 and i5. Some other thoughts I had in comparison to an ipad. They ipad does have an SSD so that could be another disadvantage for some people... however I have 500gb rather than 16 or 32. I also have 4gb ram rather than 256 or 512mb. You can look up something like 'HP TouchSmart tm2t Tablet PC Gaming Performance Benchmarks' in youtube if you want to see how it performs in games. I use mine for casual gaming, couch tablet surfing, and digital drawing (it has a wonderful wacom active digitizer that works great).

While the HP TouchSmart tm is a great product with greater power and more flexibility, it's a slightly different class of product than an iPad. The Touchsmart is 2-3 times thicker and 3 times the weight of a iPad. Depending on the application, weight and size can trump absolute processing power. Both products definitely have their niches. I have a friend that has a degenerative eye disease that requires her to be able to blow up PDFs to large size. A heavier tablet like the Touchsmart is just too heavy for her to carry around all the time at work and school.
Score
November 10, 2010 11:45:25 AM

I honestly didn't buy an iPad to use as a netbook. The eReader I was looking at was $250. I managed to get my hands on one, new, for a little less than $400. Since I've gotten it, I also use it as an Ableton controller for my music projects. It is also a great thing to have while on the crapper (I am so serious, I can hold it and not have to set it on my lap or anything). I'm an avid PC fan (don't get me wrong), I will never buy a Mac, but I really like Apple's gadgets. Me and my girl use Facetime a lot. My laptop, however is a G51JH and I was looking at selling it (begrudgingly) after I purchased my new PC (homebuilt BE 955 + 6870 HD), simply because it is not portable at all. It weighs a ton and has an hour and a half battery life (at the most). This may offer a solution for me to keep it. If I already own one, this seems like a cool idea. I don't really like the pricetag, but hey, Christmas is coming up, and I can add this to my list. :) 
Score
November 10, 2010 11:46:48 AM

iPad and netbooks have completely different use cases. I would touch neither of those 'cause I:
- casually surf the net with my iPhone
- seriously surf the net with my desktop
- don't read eBooks (still love paper)
- don't do anything on the plane/road (I sleep/drive)
- don't play games (at all)
But I strongly believe that not all 4m+ iPad buyers are wrong. And certainly not the 100m+ netbook buyers...
Score
November 10, 2010 12:33:06 PM

ericburnbyIt's a mythical tablet created by a person who dislikes something so bad they have to resort to wild fabrications to try and make a point.

Yeah, it sounded too good to be true, which means it is. Shame, I really wanted to buy it before I realized that he just made it up. What a d*ck.
Score
November 10, 2010 12:41:29 PM

a bit expensive but i must admit from watching the video, someone put some thought and effort in designing a good add-on to the iPad. initially i thought it's pointless to convert an expensive iPad to a netbook. instead of having to 2 separate devices the crux case gives you the option to have just one. now you don't have to choose between an iPad or a netbook. you can have both.
Score
November 10, 2010 1:21:56 PM

Seriously?

If you want that, how about you take that minimum $650 investment and buy a good laptop. :\
Score
November 10, 2010 10:38:18 PM

So spend $800 on a iPad that has WiFi and some of the features of a netbook then another $150 to turn it into a netbook. So $950.

Or I could just buy a nice laptop for $800. Or 3 netbooks for $900.

Choices.....
Score
November 11, 2010 4:35:49 PM

@stingstang: Semantics. You can call it a slate with a keyboard, a touchscreen laptop, a tablet pc - whatever. I'm much more concerned with what I do with it, not what Amazon calls it.

@jomofro39: I'll clear it up that I do not dislike the ipad. I don't like it either, but that's just because it doesn't fit my personal preferences and circumstances. Also, from my perspective, the tm2 is just as much a tablet as an ipad in a crux. A few months ago I was just a customer doing research for my next device - I considered the ipad, but found the tm2 to be a much better deal. Especially for what I wanted my device to be capable of for the money. I wasn't making up a "mythical device" to offend anyone - I try and get the most for my money and would like to pass on the knowledge of my research to anyone else going for the same thing.

@fellskrazykayaker: Very true. They aren't the same and for someone else the ipad might fit the bill of what they want better. For me, the tm2 in tablet mode is plenty portable (I've used an ipad as well and it would be a lot like tearing off the display from the lower part of the tm2 :)  I did, however, come from an Alienware m15x, so the tm2 feels pretty small. For ultra portability I use a 4" Galaxy S that is significantly lighter, smaller, and still more powerful than an ipad. To each his own - for someone like your friend, a larger screen and as thin as possible probably fits the bill perfectly.
Score
November 12, 2010 7:39:35 AM

sorry will still go for netbook
Score
November 14, 2010 3:38:29 PM

It's a waste of money. The only thing that you could use the 'netbook' feature was to type the notes and email (Or did i miss something). Whats the point??? Turn your baby of a netbook into a netbook for the wonderful price of 'FREE'. This puts the price of the iPad 'netbook' about 150+500(Or more)+Tax=At least 650$. My netbook cost 275 with a 2 year costco warranty. Just thought i'd give my two cents. :) 
Score
!