Access denied when trying to delete a file

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I am trying to delete some files from my hard drive, and am recieving an
Access denied error message. I am the only user of the computer and have
administrator privileges (I have also tried signing in as Administrator, but
recieved the same error). I also tried to delete the files from the command
prompt, and recieved the same error. What can I do to give myself the
necessary privileges to delete these files? (they are not system files) Any
help would be appreciated. Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com

    "Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to delete some files from my hard drive, and am recieving an
    > Access denied error message. I am the only user of the computer and have
    > administrator privileges (I have also tried signing in as Administrator,
    > but
    > recieved the same error). I also tried to delete the files from the
    > command
    > prompt, and recieved the same error. What can I do to give myself the
    > necessary privileges to delete these files? (they are not system files)
    > Any
    > help would be appreciated. Thanks.

    Can't Delete a File or Folder in XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del
    You Cannot Delete a File or a Folder:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Just some more tips:

    I have often solved this problem by simply rebooting and then erasing these
    files.
    At times I found that there are certain programs that somehow get themselves
    into the startup list of windows and then they won't allow certain files to
    be erased.

    You can download "Startup Control Panel" from
    http://pricelessware.org/thelist/sys.htm#Start-Up%20Tool
    which lets you view any programs that load on windows start and analyze
    which one you don't need and remove those. Then reboot. If one of those
    programs were the culprit then now you can erase the file. Warning: do not
    remove any program from the startup list unless you know what you are doing,
    or some vital processes won't be loaded.
    much love
    andras

    "Nathan Sokalski" wrote:

    > I am trying to delete some files from my hard drive, and am recieving an
    > Access denied error message. I am the only user of the computer and have
    > administrator privileges (I have also tried signing in as Administrator, but
    > recieved the same error). I also tried to delete the files from the command
    > prompt, and recieved the same error. What can I do to give myself the
    > necessary privileges to delete these files? (they are not system files) Any
    > help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    > --
    > Nathan Sokalski
    > njsokalski@hotmail.com
    > www.nathansokalski.com

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    You should try taking ownership of the file.

    Regards

    Oli

    "Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to delete some files from my hard drive, and am recieving an
    >Access denied error message. I am the only user of the computer and have
    >administrator privileges (I have also tried signing in as Administrator,
    >but recieved the same error). I also tried to delete the files from the
    >command prompt, and recieved the same error. What can I do to give myself
    >the necessary privileges to delete these files? (they are not system files)
    >Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    > --
    > Nathan Sokalski
    > njsokalski@hotmail.com
    > www.nathansokalski.com

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    In news:%235gZL7EHFHA.472@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Nathan Sokalski <njsokalski@hotmail.com> had this to say:

    > I am trying to delete some files from my hard drive, and am recieving
    > an Access denied error message. I am the only user of the computer
    > and have administrator privileges (I have also tried signing in as
    > Administrator, but recieved the same error). I also tried to delete
    > the files from the command prompt, and recieved the same error. What
    > can I do to give myself the necessary privileges to delete these
    > files? (they are not system files) Any help would be appreciated.
    > Thanks. --
    > Nathan Sokalski
    > njsokalski@hotmail.com
    > www.nathansokalski.com

    Try this:

    How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

Microsoft Windows XP