Minumum PSU

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I've been using generic psu lately but I think I'm going to go for a good brand name one this time, the reason is that all the parts are for the mostly expensive and high end and I want to try minimize any damage from crappy power supply. The yet to be built system will include -
Athlon FX 51
Dont know which motherboard, have to wait for Nvidia to fix the bugs they have with the Nforce 3
2 72 GB WD Raptor drives when they come out
1 250 GB WD hard drive w/ 8mb cache
1 Dvd burner
1 CD-RW/DVD combo
Audigy 2 Sound card
and probably an AIW Radeon 9800

Do you think an Antec 400W PSU will suffice? I have no clue of the power demands that the FX and the Raptors can put out.

-----------------------
Add witty comment here.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
And Antec 400W would be enough, but;

The Fortron 400W puts out more power than the Antec 400W, and cost less. The Fortron 530W cost just a few dollars more than the Forton 400W and would be far more than you need.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Ditto :) Fortron based PSU's will do you will

Crash - I found out my Enlight 420 watter is actually based off the fortron, so hence the good lines

:cool: I run my AthlonXfx at 7.65 Exahertz :cool:

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I never tried a Fortron psu before but i guess I'll try to find a 530W if its about the same price as the 400W Antec. Is Fortron a new company or something? I don't remember hearing their name before.

-----------------------
Add witty comment here.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They weren't a retail brand, they were a supplier for PC Power & Cooling, Acer Power (Aopen), Inwin (Power Man), Sparkle Power, etc. You can buy them at Newegg.com and a few other places. The 400W is far superior to the Antec True Power 430W, the 530W is far superior to the Antec True Power 550W. True Power is Antecs premium series.

Tom's did a test on the Fortron 400W if you care to look.

The Fortron 530W unit can be purchased <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=17-104-968&depa=1" target="_new">HERE</A>, and probably a few other places too.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, and you can get the 400W unit <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=17-104-974&depa=1" target="_new">HERE</A>, and a 350W unit that outpowers Antecs cheapest 400W units <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=17-104-966&depa=1" target="_new">Here</A>

TRENDING THREADS