Blankk1190

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
hello, ive been having this problem for sometime now. While playing Star wars the old republic my average frame rate is around 50fps. occasionally my system will spike and will reduce to 1-5fps (literary). when i close the game and reopen it, it reverts back to normal. this also happened when i used to play WoW but is becoming significantly more frequent. im not running anything in the background such as anti virus or spyware. any thoughts to a possible solution?

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
List system specs.

Could be related to heat. Could be related to issues that some video cards have with vsync (disable vsync and see if you no longer spike to extremely low fps). Could be a lot of things, not enough info about your computer or when it tends to happen in your post OP.

Blankk1190

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
yeah i know i was kinda slacking with the details. i havnt noticed much of a pattern as to when it happens. and the computer isnt very hot. im playing on a desktop. the fans dont seem to be running very hard. i have 8 gigs of ram and a Nividia graphics card (im not sure witch one) my computer performance score is as followed
-Processor: 6.0
Memory (ram):7.1
Graphics (desktop perf.):4.3
Gaming graphics (3D gaming):5.1
Primary hard disk: 5.9

*if theres any othe useful information i can provide ill be more than happy to

going by your windows xp index i would say you have a particularly weak gfx card. your cpu is roughly equivalent to an amd 5200x2 or intel e6300. so that shouldn't be the issue. but your gfx at 4.3 and 5.1 means its pretty poor at handling 2d and 3d so will only really be any good for watching movies and web surfing. as its roughly similar to an 8400gt in wie score... so the chances are your running your games at to high a setting thinking your pc can handle it, when by the looks of it, it cant.

Blankk1190

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
ive got all my settings as low as they can go. ive been watching my task manager performance tab and im noticing a huge spike when the frame rate drops. something is using up my CPU periodicaly and i cant figure out what it is.

Blankk1190

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
Model AU166AA-ABA p6116f
Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 596 GB
Disk partition (C:) 527 GB Free (582 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:) 2 GB Free (14 GB Total)
Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Graphics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 9100
Total available graphics memory 3840 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 3584 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.15.11.9038
Primary monitor resolution 1360x768
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Network Adapter Atheros 802.11 a/b/g/n Dualband Wireless Network Module

Notes

The gaming graphics score is based on the primary graphics adapter. If this system has linked or multiple graphics adapters, some software applications may see additional performance benefits.

Blankk1190

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
finally figured out how to view the overall stats of my computer if that helps in any way. im still having this troublesome issue and cant seem to find a resolution on my own : (

Blankk1190

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
For comparison, in case you arent fermiliar with the game im playing. these are the minimum requirements.

Minimum System Requirements
OS Windows XP, Vista/7
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better • Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better
Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM • Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM • PCs using a built-in graphical chipset, 2GB RAM recommended.
ATI X1800 or better* • nVidia 7800 or better* • Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better*
8x or better DVD-ROM

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Your graphics solution is just above the minimum and far below anything approaching recommended. You need discrete graphics cards for modern games to maintain solid fps, in addition to a good cpu (don't know in your case but questionable since you're on a dual core) and enough ram (which you're fine on).

its not m8. its way, way, below minimum spec it barley registers as a video adapter and is only for playing video. it doesnt come anywhere near an x1800 or 78gt not by a huge amount. it is roughly 1/4 the power of the 2 minimum recommended. and benches at less than 100 passmarks. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+9100 ... http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+7800+GS ... http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=Radeon+X1800+GTO

as you can see by this very basic comparison your onboard is nowhere near what you need.