laptop won't hibernate

a b D Laptop
February 26, 2005 6:57:01 PM

Hello,

All of a sudden my laptop just disabled hibernate (keyboard shortcuts don't
work, standby is a disabled option in the shutdown menu). Hibernate is a
valid option in the power management menu, however if I choose it the
computer doesn't memorize it at all. Coincidentally or not, this all
happened when SP2 was installed.

Can you tell me how to get this option back?

Thank you in advance,

Selma

More about : laptop hibernate

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 27, 2005 4:05:04 PM

One option: Uninstall SP2.
Second option: See if the laptop vendor has released *any* hardware drivers
and/or BIOS upgrades since you purchased the machine. If so, apply all such
but hold off on the BIOS flash unless you have no option.

--
Walter Clayton

"Selma" <Selma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> All of a sudden my laptop just disabled hibernate (keyboard shortcuts
> don't
> work, standby is a disabled option in the shutdown menu). Hibernate is a
> valid option in the power management menu, however if I choose it the
> computer doesn't memorize it at all. Coincidentally or not, this all
> happened when SP2 was installed.
>
> Can you tell me how to get this option back?
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Selma
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 28, 2005 3:11:03 AM

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I did uninstall SP2, because it caused a number of
other problems as well, however that caused even greater problems, among
other things the process corrupted ntoskrnl. After a week of fighting with
the SP, I finally did a reinstall of the system (w/o formatting), but the
hibernate problem was still there.

I had turned off automatic updates, but the OS was annoying me with the "do
you want to turn on automatic updates" messages, so I finally reinstalled the
SP2.

I tried reinstalling display drivers (I read somewhere that that might be
causing the hibernate problem), but that didn't help either. I've also tried
with manufacturer's updates, and that didn't help.

Do you have any other ideas?

"Walter Clayton" wrote:

> One option: Uninstall SP2.
> Second option: See if the laptop vendor has released *any* hardware drivers
> and/or BIOS upgrades since you purchased the machine. If so, apply all such
> but hold off on the BIOS flash unless you have no option.
>
> --
> Walter Clayton
> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
>

> "Selma" <Selma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > All of a sudden my laptop just disabled hibernate (keyboard shortcuts
> > don't
> > work, standby is a disabled option in the shutdown menu). Hibernate is a
> > valid option in the power management menu, however if I choose it the
> > computer doesn't memorize it at all. Coincidentally or not, this all
> > happened when SP2 was installed.
> >
> > Can you tell me how to get this option back?
> >
> > Thank you in advance,
> >
> > Selma

a b D Laptop
February 28, 2005 6:20:53 PM

The other possibility is with applications. Anything running at the time,
including anti-virus, third party firewall, CD/DVD packet writing software,
etc. can cause hibernation issues.
You didn't perchance apply any application updates about the same time did
you?

--
Walter Clayton
http://www.dts-l.org

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for responding. I did uninstall SP2, because it caused a number of
> other problems as well, however that caused even greater problems, among
> other things the process corrupted ntoskrnl. After a week of fighting
> with
> the SP, I finally did a reinstall of the system (w/o formatting), but the
> hibernate problem was still there.
>
> I had turned off automatic updates, but the OS was annoying me with the
> "do
> you want to turn on automatic updates" messages, so I finally reinstalled
> the
> SP2.
>
> I tried reinstalling display drivers (I read somewhere that that might be
> causing the hibernate problem), but that didn't help either. I've also
> tried
> with manufacturer's updates, and that didn't help.
>
> Do you have any other ideas?
>

> "Walter Clayton" wrote:
>
>> One option: Uninstall SP2.
>> Second option: See if the laptop vendor has released *any* hardware
>> drivers
>> and/or BIOS upgrades since you purchased the machine. If so, apply all
>> such
>> but hold off on the BIOS flash unless you have no option.
>>
>> --
>> Walter Clayton
>> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
>>

>> "Selma" <Selma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > All of a sudden my laptop just disabled hibernate (keyboard shortcuts
>> > don't
>> > work, standby is a disabled option in the shutdown menu). Hibernate is
>> > valid option in the power management menu, however if I choose it the
>> > computer doesn't memorize it at all. Coincidentally or not, this all
>> > happened when SP2 was installed.
>> >
>> > Can you tell me how to get this option back?
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance,
>> >
>> > Selma

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 2, 2005 3:29:06 AM

I can't remember that I did. The only thing that pops up in my mind is that
windows update tried to install an updated ATI driver and it failed, I
thought that might be the cause. However, I've reinstalled the original
driver, and that didn't resolve the issue.

"Walter Clayton" wrote:

> The other possibility is with applications. Anything running at the time,
> including anti-virus, third party firewall, CD/DVD packet writing software,
> etc. can cause hibernation issues.
> You didn't perchance apply any application updates about the same time did
> you?
>
> --
> Walter Clayton
> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Selma" <Selma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for responding. I did uninstall SP2, because it caused a number of
> > other problems as well, however that caused even greater problems, among
> > other things the process corrupted ntoskrnl. After a week of fighting
> > with
> > the SP, I finally did a reinstall of the system (w/o formatting), but the
> > hibernate problem was still there.
> >
> > I had turned off automatic updates, but the OS was annoying me with the
> > "do
> > you want to turn on automatic updates" messages, so I finally reinstalled
> > the
> > SP2.
> >
> > I tried reinstalling display drivers (I read somewhere that that might be
> > causing the hibernate problem), but that didn't help either. I've also
> > tried
> > with manufacturer's updates, and that didn't help.
> >
> > Do you have any other ideas?
> >

> > "Walter Clayton" wrote:
> >
> >> One option: Uninstall SP2.
> >> Second option: See if the laptop vendor has released *any* hardware
> >> drivers
> >> and/or BIOS upgrades since you purchased the machine. If so, apply all
> >> such
> >> but hold off on the BIOS flash unless you have no option.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Walter Clayton
> >> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
> >>

> >> "Selma" <Selma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 3, 2005 3:16:04 AM

OK. This is going to have to be figured from scratch.

What brand and model laptop is this?
Have you always gone through the power management control panel applet to
handle power management settings or did you use and application proved by
the laptop vendor?

--

>I can't remember that I did. The only thing that pops up in my mind is
>that
> windows update tried to install an updated ATI driver and it failed, I
> thought that might be the cause. However, I've reinstalled the original
> driver, and that didn't resolve the issue.
>
> "Walter Clayton" wrote:
>
>> The other possibility is with applications. Anything running at the time,
>> including anti-virus, third party firewall, CD/DVD packet writing
>> software,
>> etc. can cause hibernation issues.
>> You didn't perchance apply any application updates about the same time
>> did
>> you?
>>
>> --
>> Walter Clayton
>> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
>> http://www.dts-l.org
>>

>> "Selma" <Selma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Thanks for responding. I did uninstall SP2, because it caused a number
>> > of
>> > other problems as well, however that caused even greater problems,
>> > among
>> > other things the process corrupted ntoskrnl. After a week of fighting
>> > with
>> > the SP, I finally did a reinstall of the system (w/o formatting), but
>> > the
>> > hibernate problem was still there.
>> >
>> > I had turned off automatic updates, but the OS was annoying me with the
>> > "do
>> > you want to turn on automatic updates" messages, so I finally
>> > reinstalled
>> > the
>> > SP2.
>> >
>> > I tried reinstalling display drivers (I read somewhere that that might
>> > be
>> > causing the hibernate problem), but that didn't help either. I've also
>> > tried
>> > with manufacturer's updates, and that didn't help.
>> >
>> > Do you have any other ideas?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 3, 2005 10:19:05 AM

it's an HP ze5300. Yes, I've always used control panel to control these
settings.

"Walter Clayton" wrote:

> OK. This is going to have to be figured from scratch.
>
> What brand and model laptop is this?
> Have you always gone through the power management control panel applet to
> handle power management settings or did you use and application proved by
> the laptop vendor?
>
> --
> Walter Clayton
> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
>

> "Selma" <Selma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I can't remember that I did. The only thing that pops up in my mind is
> >that
> > windows update tried to install an updated ATI driver and it failed, I
> > thought that might be the cause. However, I've reinstalled the original
> > driver, and that didn't resolve the issue.
> >
> > "Walter Clayton" wrote:
> >
> >> The other possibility is with applications. Anything running at the time,
> >> including anti-virus, third party firewall, CD/DVD packet writing
> >> software,
> >> etc. can cause hibernation issues.
> >> You didn't perchance apply any application updates about the same time
> >> did
> >> you?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Walter Clayton
> >> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
> >> http://www.dts-l.org
> >>

> >> "Selma" <Selma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 4, 2005 1:39:12 AM

Well, that blows that idea out of the water. :-/

Start here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=266169

--

> it's an HP ze5300. Yes, I've always used control panel to control these
> settings.
>
> "Walter Clayton" wrote:
>
>> OK. This is going to have to be figured from scratch.
>>
>> What brand and model laptop is this?
>> Have you always gone through the power management control panel applet to
>> handle power management settings or did you use and application proved by
>> the laptop vendor?
>>
>> --
>> Walter Clayton
>> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
>>

>> "Selma" <Selma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I can't remember that I did. The only thing that pops up in my mind is
>> >that
>> > windows update tried to install an updated ATI driver and it failed, I
>> > thought that might be the cause. However, I've reinstalled the
>> > original
>> > driver, and that didn't resolve the issue.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 7, 2005 2:53:01 AM

No luck with this either.

"Walter Clayton" wrote:

> Well, that blows that idea out of the water. :-/
>
> Start here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=266169
>
> --
> Walter Clayton
> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
>

> "Selma" <Selma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > it's an HP ze5300. Yes, I've always used control panel to control these
> > settings.
> >
> > "Walter Clayton" wrote:
> >
> >> OK. This is going to have to be figured from scratch.
> >>
> >> What brand and model laptop is this?
> >> Have you always gone through the power management control panel applet to
> >> handle power management settings or did you use and application proved by
> >> the laptop vendor?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Walter Clayton
> >> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
> >>

> >> "Selma" <Selma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 7, 2005 2:55:03 AM

No luck with this either.

"Walter Clayton" wrote:

> Well, that blows that idea out of the water. :-/
>
> Start here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=266169
>
> --
> Walter Clayton
> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
>

> "Selma" <Selma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > it's an HP ze5300. Yes, I've always used control panel to control these
> > settings.
> >
> > "Walter Clayton" wrote:
> >
> >> OK. This is going to have to be figured from scratch.
> >>
> >> What brand and model laptop is this?
> >> Have you always gone through the power management control panel applet to
> >> handle power management settings or did you use and application proved by
> >> the laptop vendor?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Walter Clayton
> >> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
> >>

> >> "Selma" <Selma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 8, 2005 2:20:22 AM

OK. Your problems center around not being able to make the hibernation
option 'stick'. Once that's resolved, the rest will fix itself.

So the million dollar question is what's causing the system to reset the
hibernation option.

<rambling>
If the machine doesn't have enough free space on the system partition, then
you won't be able to get at the hibernation option. OTOH if the system
can't create hiber.sys on the root of the drive then things get interesting.
Another possibility is fragmented free space maybe?
</rambling>

OK. More questions.
Are you using FAT or NTFS? If NTFS, I need you to check the permissions on
the root of the drive. They should be ok, or you'd have other issues, but it
never hurts to double check. How you check permissions depends on what
version of XP you're running. If running Pro, disable simple file sharing
via folder options->view tab. If running HE, boot into safe mode. Fire up
explorer and right click on the C: drive. Go to the security tab. Make sure
that Administrators and SYSTEM have full control. Make sure there are no
denies. I doubt this is the problem since you'd be seeing issues with the
pagefile as well.

In order to create hiber.sys, which is the file that contains the copy of
memoy at the time the hibernation is requested, there must be at least as
much free space on the drive as the amount of memory you have installed.
Make sure you have more free space on the drive than the amount of real
memory you have installed. If space is tighty, the system may balk, but
don't quote me on that, I'm still thinking out loud. What's tickling the
back of my mind is whether or not hiber.sys must be unfragmented. One thing
you can try is to defrag the drive. Before trying to enable hibernation.

When you enable hibernation, look to be sure that hiber.sys is located in
the root of the drive. Actually, if hibernation is currently disabled and
hiber.sys exists, delete it before trying to enable hibernation.

I'd give you some registry keys to try, but my laptop uses a custom power
management utility and my desktop doesn't have enough free space on the
system partition to enable hibernation. Not that pushing registry keys in
this instance would do much good. I can tell you exactly where to go in the
registry to manually enable hibernation, but unless hiber.sys can be
created, it won't matter.

--

> No luck with this either.
>
> "Walter Clayton" wrote:
>
>> Well, that blows that idea out of the water. :-/
>>
>> Start here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=266169
>>
>> --
>> Walter Clayton
>> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
>>

>> "Selma" <Selma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > it's an HP ze5300. Yes, I've always used control panel to control
>> > these
>> > settings.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 10, 2005 3:39:02 AM

Sorry I left you waiting for so long. I checked your suggestions, there are
5 GB of free space on the laptop's HD, and 512 MB of RAM, so I guess that's
not the issue.

Permissions are OK, and I couldn't find hiber.sys file at all on the C:
drive. Do I need to create it to "cheat" the system?

"Walter Clayton" wrote:

> [...]
> management utility and my desktop doesn't have enough free space on the
> system partition to enable hibernation. Not that pushing registry keys in
> this instance would do much good. I can tell you exactly where to go in the
> registry to manually enable hibernation, but unless hiber.sys can be
> created, it won't matter.
>
> --
> Walter Clayton
> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
>

> "Selma" <Selma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No luck with this either.
> >
> > "Walter Clayton" wrote:
> >
> >> Well, that blows that idea out of the water. :-/
> >>
> >> Start here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=266169
> >>
> >> --
> >> Walter Clayton
> >> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 10, 2005 6:45:07 PM

hiberfil.sys would be in the root of the drive only. The system will
automatically create it as soon as you enable hibernation.
Have you tried to defrag yet?
One other thing, when you try to enable hibernation, check the event log
(start->run->eventvwr.msc) to see if there are any warning or error messages
being generated.
I'm starting to wonder if there might not be a registry permission issue.
I've got to dig some more to find where that might be though.

--
Walter Clayton
http://www.dts-l.org

> [...]
>> you can try is to defrag the drive. Before trying to enable hibernation.
>>
>> When you enable hibernation, look to be sure that hiber.sys is located in
>> the root of the drive. Actually, if hibernation is currently disabled and
>> hiber.sys exists, delete it before trying to enable hibernation.
>>
>> I'd give you some registry keys to try, but my laptop uses a custom power
>> management utility and my desktop doesn't have enough free space on the
>> system partition to enable hibernation. Not that pushing registry keys in
>> this instance would do much good. I can tell you exactly where to go in
>> the
>> registry to manually enable hibernation, but unless hiber.sys can be
>> created, it won't matter.
>>
>> --
>> Walter Clayton
>> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 17, 2005 12:01:07 PM

I'm sorry if this is going to the wrong place, but I can't figure how to post
a new subject, so I picked the most recent post.
I have a Gateway laptop with XP Home Edition. I recently bought a new
mouse, a Kensington Pocket Mouse LE model# K72218. I downloaded and
installed the software from their website. I had lots of problems after
that. I tried to uninstall the software, it wouldn't uninstall. I contacted
their tech support by phone, which didn't help me at all. So I tried to get
rid of it by doing a system restore back to before I downloaded the software.
But that lost a different program I downloaded after that. I went back and
forth trying to find a spot where the computer worked and I had the other
software I wanted. The last time I tried I couldn't do a restore, the
computer just froze up, and there was a message about virtual memory. After
several calls to Kensingtion tech supp I did get the software off my computer
and everything seems to be working now EXCEPT after I wake up the computer
after hibernation, I can't right click. To be able to use right click, I
have to restart the computer and then the right click works. Kensington
finally told me that the mouse was probably defective and sent me a new one.
It just arrived. I put the computer into hibernation to test it out and the
new mouse is the same as the first one--it will not right click. I tried my
old mouse and I can right click with that.
Any ideas on how to solve this problem??
Thank you for any help you can give me.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 17, 2005 2:34:22 PM

Open your Device Manager, right-click on your mouse and
select Properties. Click on the Power Management tab and
check "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby".

To open Device Manager:

Go to Start > Run and type: devmgmt.msc , and hit enter.

You can do the same for your keyboard and other devices.

Troubleshooting Standby & Hibernate Issues in Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_standby.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Eileen" wrote:

| I'm sorry if this is going to the wrong place, but I can't figure how to post
| a new subject, so I picked the most recent post.
| I have a Gateway laptop with XP Home Edition. I recently bought a new
| mouse, a Kensington Pocket Mouse LE model# K72218. I downloaded and
| installed the software from their website. I had lots of problems after
| that. I tried to uninstall the software, it wouldn't uninstall. I contacted
| their tech support by phone, which didn't help me at all. So I tried to get
| rid of it by doing a system restore back to before I downloaded the software.
| But that lost a different program I downloaded after that. I went back and
| forth trying to find a spot where the computer worked and I had the other
| software I wanted. The last time I tried I couldn't do a restore, the
| computer just froze up, and there was a message about virtual memory. After
| several calls to Kensingtion tech supp I did get the software off my computer
| and everything seems to be working now EXCEPT after I wake up the computer
| after hibernation, I can't right click. To be able to use right click, I
| have to restart the computer and then the right click works. Kensington
| finally told me that the mouse was probably defective and sent me a new one.
| It just arrived. I put the computer into hibernation to test it out and the
| new mouse is the same as the first one--it will not right click. I tried my
| old mouse and I can right click with that.
| Any ideas on how to solve this problem??
| Thank you for any help you can give me.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 17, 2005 2:51:11 PM

I can follow you as far as Properties, but there is no Power Management tab
there.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

!