Acrylic Cases

Karagtoh

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
I was thinking about getting a completly transparant case, and I have already found one that really fits my econmic standard and all. But i read on an old post that these dont have EMI standards and bassicly screws everything up, and dies by certain stuff like microwaves.
Do I risk having my computer destroyed or something if i decide to get it anyway?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Well you can buy commercial available all acrylic cases. But they are costly, thick walled, heavy and i belive ugly.

And its true there is no radiation shielding...
Normally though thats more of a problem with electronic devices around the computer rather than a risk to the PC itself.

Telivision and mobile phone interferance are possibilities.

<b>I am not a AMD fanboy.
I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
I AM a performance fanboy.
And a low price fanboy. :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

Sartori

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2003
Hello

There has been interference rumors about acrylic cases floating around for some time now and have not found anything too back it up.

I bought an acrylic case and am in the process of finishing up the computer. I really like the case and they are far from ugly. The one I have has brass screws and accents and very good acrylic. Its not heavy either and is very well constructed.

I did however have a few minor issues with it but those were rememdied very easily.

Being able too see all the components is very cool. I'm using a thermaltake psu and it looks very classy in the case. The new pc4800 motherboard and MSI video card add too the class of the system along with some Corsaird ddr ram. I also used copper braided rounded cables which also added alot too the "insides".

My wife thinks it looks elegant:)

So in closing, so far I've been happy with the case. I can't wait to get it powered up.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
These cases can have a bad effect on such things as nearby TV antenas and FM radio reception. Because the FCC keeps those channels clean for the purpose of important news (such as tornado warnings), the cases don't meet FCC approval. This is likely why companies such as Dell don't use them, and why Apple put EMI shields under their translucent cases and monitors.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dstell

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
You are exactly correct Crashman. This was confirmed by my visit to Chenbro's RF testing lab less than a week ago.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I knew this information to be factual, else I would have stated it as an opinion. You guys get to travel to all the great locations and see all the cool new toys, while we're stuck here, lacking the expense funds for cool trips and testing equipment :frown:

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, there are advantages to actually owning a house! A lot of these guys are college students and live in combined houseing.

Karagtoh

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Thank you all for the great answers and everything.

But I read that a near by microwave can make the system behave wierd, and since I live on the second floor right above the kitchen, this might become a problem. And will my 11Mbps wireless router get intercepted?

And about the FM channel being keept free. The worst nature disaster I have experienced during my 16 years of life was a storm with winds of like 50m/s. And that one was the worst we had in sweden for the last 50 years or something =)

G

Digital comm. devices are susceptible too, just not as much as their older analog counterparts. If everyone takes this attitude it won't be long until your wireless digital stuff is affected too. At any rate if the FCC/CE, and now CCC find you in non compliance you could be fined.

Sartori

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2003
Hello

I think that the microwave would have to be beside or very close too the computer too have any affect on it. I'm pretty sure the new microwaves are shielded much better then the older ones too.

And when you say intercepted do you mean the signal getting hijacked?

I'll keep you posted on how everything turns out and will keep an eye out for them fcc boys too:)

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I know that acrylic cases come with gloves in order to handle them without getting finger prints on them and scratching them. So I gather that they are very fragile and obviously scratches are very visible on them. For that reason they don't interest me that much (if they're giving them out for free I may reconsider). If you like everything transparent and don't move your PC around that much, go for it. I don't thing that a window on the side panel is anything close because inside acrylic cases almost nothing's opaque including the drive bays.

Roses are <font color=red>red</font color=red>, violets are <font color=blue>blue</font color=blue>, post something stupid and I won't reply to you!

Sartori

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2003
Hello

One of the coolest things about the case is the ability too see the back of the motherboard which looks pretty "sick".

The only time I used the gloves is when I was putting the case together. The acrylic is pretty rigid and the critical sections are a little over 1/4 thick. I haven't noticed any scratches and I messed around quite abit with the drives. I guess I should post some pictures of it when I get some time.

Karagtoh

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Yes, the signal being hijacked, since my dad is dependant on the wireless connection I dont wanna steal it from him.