Sign in with
Your question

How powerful of a power source do I need?

Last response: in Components
September 28, 2003 3:23:17 AM

I built a PC a few months ago (Athlon XP 3000, Asus A7N8X Deluxe, Radeon 9800 Pro, Asus CD Burner) that is being powered by a 300 Watt power supply.

I was telling a friend who builds PCs for a living this the other day and he told me that I probably wasn't getting the most performance out of my PC because it was underpowered. He recommended a 400 or 450 Watt supply and told me that it would be quite a noticable difference.

This was the first time I've heard of this kind of thing, is there any truth to it?

More about : powerful power source

September 28, 2003 5:41:22 AM

300W for that system is definately cutting it close. Systems that are strained for power are generally very unstable. I agree with his recommendation for a 400-450W power supply, just make sure you buy from a quality manufacturer such as Antec, Fortron, or Enermax.
September 28, 2003 4:17:07 PM

I haven't noticed any stability problems, but that's good info anyway. Thanks.
Related resources
September 28, 2003 11:04:44 PM

Your friend knows too little about computers to be giving advice! Lack of power causes glitches/stability problems. If you're not experiencing these, you have enough power, and adding more has no affect on performance.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 30, 2003 9:08:17 PM

it just might actually... when I went from 300w to 600w I experienced faster hdd, ram and graphics. Had no instabillities before I switched... just felt like going to the top before installing as many fans as I could possibly mount in my system =). Didn't get around to buy the fans yet though... long live a blocked VISA-card

Intel Pentium 4 - 400Mhz FSB - 2.4Ghz
- 1152mb pc-133 - Ati Radeon 9700 128Mb
!