How to push a new form factor?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTX doesn't cut it. I have a design for a form factor similar to NLX that would make the board only 6.25" wide, based on ATX, with a rizer card offering as many slots as desired. With the slots above the CPU, you could have a mid tower with 7 slots and the CPU at the bottom. With the slots facing the other way, you could have a 3" tall horizontal case (or 3" wide verticle case) with 3 slots adjacent to the board. Either style would use the same motherboard, the rizer card would be assigned to the case style. Who would listen to such a suggestion?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

shaneperch

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2003
Well I see no need for another form factor. I get so tired of changing things becausee people want change for the sake of change. I like your idea!! So I have even one better howabout your form factor but also ATX so atleast let people keep the cases they purchased and enjoy the idea of upgrading with the cases they have. I had to trash all my old AT cases. nothing more cool than looking at my IBM AT with a K6 and DVD. I just think (more like hope) that people are tired of having to buy a new case power supply etc for form factor changes. I am still using my Fisher tube reciever that was built in 1964 and it still works and I can still get tubes for it. why can't computers be the same way? FRUSTRATING!!! to say the least.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If NLX had become more standard, ATX would have been outmoded early on, and BTX would be useless.

I'm suggesting and end-all form factor. That is, one that could live as long as PCI slots (of ANY variety) live. One that would replace ITX, Flex-ATX, Micro ATX, ATX, and BTX with 1 common board, that would have as many slots as your case allowed. Think about it, ONE board fits all! YOu could have a book sized PC with 0 slots, and a full ATX tower with 7 slots, all using the same board!

You see, ATX WILL be replaced eventually. I too tire of form factors getting replaced every 10 years. But I'm suggesting a form factor which could provide a much longer life!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>