Random freezes

I've been getting some random freezing in the past few months. The thing is, it isn't that bad, and will happen at most twice a week. Once in a while, it will happen during a game, but it mostly occurs when I'm browsing the web or listening to music. I think I might be crazy, but I'm sure that half of these freezes occur when I'm using Windows Media Player. I'm not sure that it could be causing a problem like this, but I suppose it's possible.

My computer is clean and regularly scanned, registry regularly cleaned, hard drive regularly junk-cleaned and defragged, overheating is not an issue, and my PSU is more than adequate for my components. I have not installed anything recently except for my processor, which was maybe 6 months ago. I upgraded from a Athlon X2 5000BE to a Phenom II 940. I did not perform a clean install with the upgrade, but I don't think it's causing the problem. I could be wrong though.

I'm leaning towards a memory issue, however I'd like some insight to anyone with more experience in this area. It isn't a huge problem, but it's extremely annoying nonetheless. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Specs as follows:

Phenom II 940BE stock
Gigabyte GAMA770-DS3 rev. 1
Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 6GB
ATI HD4890 1GB
WD Caviar Black 1TB
OCZ Stealth 600w PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
2 answers Last reply
More about random freezes
  1. Before/when it freezes, does the hard drive make any funny clicking noises?
  2. No, nothing like that. My primary hard drive is still fairly new, and SMART lists it as being perfectly healthy. My secondary storage drive is older, but I haven't had any problems with it, nor does it show any early symptoms of death.

One thing I've tried is disabling all the running software that I can. For instance, Windows Firewall was running alongside Comodo, so I disabled it. I also disabled the real-time protection from my anti-spyware, as it may have been conflicting with AVG. Those may have been causing some interference, but it's still too early to tell.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7