Which case do you think is right for me?

mongoose

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
Hey guys (& gals),

I've been in the market for a new case. My system (will be) as follows (for gaming):

ASUS A7NV8X Deluxe Mobo
Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton)
1g DDR400 PC3200 RAM (2x512 chips)
Using Onboard Sound
Using Onboard LAN
Nvidia Geforce FX5600 256MB RAM
Hardrive, Floppy, CD, CD Burner

---

Now, I can't afford a whole lot for the case. I'm willing to spend (at most) around $100. I'm hoping I can still buy a decent case with not too much noise, at least 2 fans, etc.

I wanted to know your opinions. I've read a lot of reviews from this site, but the cases seems too expensive (for me). I'm hoping the case will also come with a decent power supply (I'm hoping 350W is good enough for my hardware).

I've seen the following cases on newegg.com: (are they any good)
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=11-129-134&depa=1
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=11-129-126&depa=1

I would like to know your opinions..

Thanks,
-JV

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Antec cases are made by Chieftec, I'd just get a Chieftec case and throw in a Fortron power supply (these are superior to Antec power supplies). If you get a Chieftec case with a crappy power supply included, you can always resell it or use it on a less extreme system.

Personally I'd pass on the bling bling and go with <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=11-108-273&depa=1" target="_new">This Case</A>. It's very high quality, has no drive door (which just gets in the way IMO), has a classic design that stays current for years (yes, I own some 12 year old Dockers kakies, still in style), etc. The included power supply is one of the best units of it's size and would probably power your system, but I'd use it for something else and get a Fortron 400W (nearly equal the the Antec 480W in output), or a Fortron 530W (far better than the Anted 550W in output) for just a few dollars more.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Ah, so there IS someone else who hates case doors.

And Fortron better than Antec, or better value than Antec? I dont argue that Fortrons are great units, but this is the first I've seen of them being the 'better' of the 2 brands. (I'm heavily Antec biased, because I've never had one fail so I use them religiously)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Cheaper, stronger. Tom's only reviewed a Fortron 400W and an Antec 480W, and concluded the Antec was better for power users because it output around 15 or 20 more watts. Now think about that: It's supposed to be 80 watts larger.

So Fortrons are rated more conservatively than Antecs. They also use heavier parts, they're nearly indestructable. They tend to be quieter, as long as the unit you have is of sufficient capacity to limit heat. Tom's says they're the most efficient.

So you have a power supply that's more durable and puts out more power at it's rating than Antec. That's why a 530W Fortron makes more power than a 550W Antec.

And they're cheaper too. So they are better, and a better value. Both.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTW, I've had several Antecs back in the old days that would drop voltage under less than rated loads, causing system instability.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, but I was so upset about my older, low end Antec power supplies being crap that I was thrilled to see review sites showing Fortron (a manufacturer I've always trusted) to be superior in evey way to even Antec's improved True Power series.

jreiter

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2003
Having just built my first system, I wish I had taken the time to look at the cases instead of buying on-line. I bought a Thermaltake case. It's a very good case with plently of hardware and very quiet fans. The drive bays are also very nice. I just don't like the door, and the wiring to the multifunction display (temp and ports) was poor.

I also suggest you buy the power supply separately. That way way you can focus on a case that fits your needs. You may also want to do a bit more research regarding the power supply. The newer graphics cards can draw a surprising amount of current, especially at power on.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Fortrons are cheaper too. I just picked up a 530W Fortron for $75. An Antec 550W will run you around $120. Cheaper and better. Imagine that.

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.