Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Clearing StartUp folder or re-install XP

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
February 28, 2005 6:47:05 AM

My computer was running really slow so we decided to add more memory, this
didn't help as we were told that we needed to clear the startup folder as
this was too large and would solve the problem, if it didn't then we were
told we needed to re-install XP as all the files were fragmented. We have
run de-frag which hasn't really helped much. How do we clear the start up
folder, what effect will this have and do we really need to re-install xp

More about : clearing startup folder install

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 4:56:15 PM

Select Ctrl+Alt+ Delete to bring up the Task Manager and select Process
tab. What is the Commit Charge?

How much RAM memory do you have and what is your processor speed. How
large is your hard disk and how much free space?

What anti-virus and anti-spyware programmes are you using? What
firewall?

If not installed download Adaware and / or update Reference file from
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
and use it to remove parasites.

Have you run Disk CleanUp -Start, Disk CleanUp? Try removing all but one
Restore Point by selecting Disk CleanUp, More Options, System Restore.
After carrying out these operations you should run Disk Defragmenter
again.

You can check your Start folder by select Start, Run, type msconfig in
box, click on OK and select StartUp tab. The link below contains a link
giving details of many applications:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

Also further advice here:
http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"DanielArtToby" <DanielArtToby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:CFB3D98E-BD11-4541-989D-A02F8F018460@microsoft.com...
> My computer was running really slow so we decided to add more memory,
> this
> didn't help as we were told that we needed to clear the startup folder
> as
> this was too large and would solve the problem, if it didn't then we
> were
> told we needed to re-install XP as all the files were fragmented. We
> have
> run de-frag which hasn't really helped much. How do we clear the
> start up
> folder, what effect will this have and do we really need to re-install
> xp
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 4:56:16 PM

The commit charge is 261m/1110m with cpu usage running between 8 - 14%. The
processor is a 1.6ghz and we upgraded to 768mb of ram. The hard disk has a
37.27gb capacity with 21gb free. We had tried all you suggested, disk clean
up, system restore and we already utilise adaware along with aol spyware and
norton utilities.

"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

> Select Ctrl+Alt+ Delete to bring up the Task Manager and select Process
> tab. What is the Commit Charge?
>
> How much RAM memory do you have and what is your processor speed. How
> large is your hard disk and how much free space?
>
> What anti-virus and anti-spyware programmes are you using? What
> firewall?
>
> If not installed download Adaware and / or update Reference file from
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
> and use it to remove parasites.
>
> Have you run Disk CleanUp -Start, Disk CleanUp? Try removing all but one
> Restore Point by selecting Disk CleanUp, More Options, System Restore.
> After carrying out these operations you should run Disk Defragmenter
> again.
>
> You can check your Start folder by select Start, Run, type msconfig in
> box, click on OK and select StartUp tab. The link below contains a link
> giving details of many applications:
> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
>
> Also further advice here:
> http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm
>
> --
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FCA
>
> Using invalid email address
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Please tell the newsgroup how any
> suggested solution worked for you.
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> "DanielArtToby" <DanielArtToby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:CFB3D98E-BD11-4541-989D-A02F8F018460@microsoft.com...
> > My computer was running really slow so we decided to add more memory,
> > this
> > didn't help as we were told that we needed to clear the startup folder
> > as
> > this was too large and would solve the problem, if it didn't then we
> > were
> > told we needed to re-install XP as all the files were fragmented. We
> > have
> > run de-frag which hasn't really helped much. How do we clear the
> > start up
> > folder, what effect will this have and do we really need to re-install
> > xp

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 12:16:25 AM

Is the Indexing Service disabled?

What Norton Utilities ( if any ) run continually in the background?

What virtual memory settings?

Any memory "boosters?

--

Hope this helps.