EQ2: Folks are selling accounts already

Once again, IGE has an ad on the back of CGW. So I started to wonder .....

Sure enough, there are already accounts for sale. Someone is trying to sell
a 18 Bard for 90 bucks on the good side of A.Bayle ... that's the first
server I clicked on (it was at the top of the list).

Crimony.

Crash

"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in

> Once again, IGE has an ad on the back of CGW. So I started to wonder
>
> Sure enough, there are already accounts for sale. Someone is trying
> to sell a 18 Bard for 90 bucks on the good side of A.Bayle ... that's
> the first server I clicked on (it was at the top of the list).
>
> Crimony.
>
> Crash

Well, at least Blizzard came out and took a public stance against
selling accounts/gold/items for real money. Now to see if they follow
through.

--
Arch Convoker Mairelon Snapbang
Feral Lord Bosra Snowclaw

Mairelon, 14th Paladin
Silverhand

My WoW Mods: http://therealorang.com

"Sean Kennedy" wrote:
> "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > Once again, IGE has an ad on the back of CGW. So I started to wonder
> >
> > Sure enough, there are already accounts for sale. Someone is trying
> > to sell a 18 Bard for 90 bucks on the good side of A.Bayle ... that's
> > the first server I clicked on (it was at the top of the list).
> >
> > Crimony.
> >
> > Crash
> >

> Well, at least Blizzard came out and took a public stance against
> selling accounts/gold/items for real money. Now to see if they follow
> through.

I looked. There's gold for sale on the WoW servers I play on, but no
accounts.

That's not to say that there are no accounts period ... the server list for
WoW is long. ;-)

Crash

On 23 Dec 2004 15:33:14 GMT, Sean Kennedy wrote:

> "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Once again, IGE has an ad on the back of CGW. So I started to wonder
>>
>> Sure enough, there are already accounts for sale. Someone is trying
>> to sell a 18 Bard for 90 bucks on the good side of A.Bayle ... that's
>> the first server I clicked on (it was at the top of the list).
>>
>> Crimony.
>>
>> Crash
>>

> Well, at least Blizzard came out and took a public stance against
> selling accounts/gold/items for real money. Now to see if they follow
> through.

Sony and Mythic have "public stances" as well. Giving lip service to
stopping it and stopping it are two different things. I agree that we'll
have to wait and see how active they are about it.
--
RJB
12/23/2004 10:46:57 AM

"Success is that old ABC -- ability, breaks, and courage."
-Charles Luckman

>> Once again, IGE has an ad on the back of CGW. So I started to wonder.....
>> Sure enough, there are already accounts for sale. Someone is trying
>> to sell a 18 Bard for 90 bucks on the good side of A.Bayle

90 bucks is almost reasonable. If you have friends who're in the 20s and you
want to hang with them, this saves the first 25 hours of catchup. It's
probably a real character that someone played for awhile, then decided to
leave the game.

Powerlevelling may be hard enough that it never really picks up as an industry
in EQ2. This is good, IMO. Actual buying of accounts is kind of neutral in
my opinion, but can exacerbate problems of bad game design.

Coin and item transfer can be more problematic, as it has interesting
effects on in-game economy (both good and bad), but again, it's a game
design problem if it's too harmful.

>"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in
>Well, at least Blizzard came out and took a public stance against
>selling accounts/gold/items for real money.

So did Sony. Public stances are cheap.

>Now to see if they follow through.

Indeed. mysupersales.com has accounts and gold for sale, both for WoW and EQ2.
Doesn't look like either company is really cracking down very much. Again,
this doesn't bother me, as I don't think it hurts the game much, if at all.
--
Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/>

"Mark Rafn" wrote:
> >"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in
> >Well, at least Blizzard came out and took a public stance against
> >selling accounts/gold/items for real money.
>
> So did Sony. Public stances are cheap.
>
> >Now to see if they follow through.
>
> Indeed. mysupersales.com has accounts and gold for sale, both for WoW and
EQ2.
> Doesn't look like either company is really cracking down very much.
Again,
> this doesn't bother me, as I don't think it hurts the game much, if at
all.

FWIW, the above quote attributed to me isn't mine. It's Sean's. ;-)

Crash

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:48:04 -0800, dagon@dagon.net (Mark Rafn) wrote:

>>> Once again, IGE has an ad on the back of CGW. So I started to wonder.....
>>> Sure enough, there are already accounts for sale. Someone is trying
>>> to sell a 18 Bard for 90 bucks on the good side of A.Bayle
>
>90 bucks is almost reasonable. If you have friends who're in the 20s and you
>want to hang with them, this saves the first 25 hours of catchup. It's
>probably a real character that someone played for awhile, then decided to
>leave the game.

I dunno.. I've got a 15 mage that has been pretty easy to level so
far. And the low level quests are easy enough and yield enough decent
reward that it's really been a pleasure to play. Paying $90 to bypass
that so I could get into the "lets sit and grind" mode, which seems to
be what happens at the higher levels, seems pretty crazy.

murdocj <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I dunno.. I've got a 15 mage that has been pretty easy to level so
>far. And the low level quests are easy enough and yield enough decent
>reward that it's really been a pleasure to play.

True for you (and me, for that matter). Not true for everyone. I can
imagine reasonable people who consider the first 20 levels a grind. If
I decided I want to play another class, I'd be tempted to skip the first
newbie levels if it were cheap and convenient enough.

>Paying $90 to bypass
>that so I could get into the "lets sit and grind" mode, which seems to
>be what happens at the higher levels, seems pretty crazy.

De gustibus non est disputandum. What's fun for you may not be for everyone,
or even for you the second or fifth time you do it. I don't have any friends
who are in "sit and grind" mode yet, but the highest is only 34, so who knows
what will happen.

Personally, I like some parts of the game that others consider a grind.
Joining a group to clear an area for xp and/or drops is fun, with the right
mix of people. I've never fully understood why anyone would play the game if
that very central dynamic bores them. On the flip side, some of my friends
don't understand why I bother to log in if all I do is grouping and combat,
missing all the fun of tradeskilling.
--
Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/>

In article <12vbevmnna2n6.dlg@robartle.nospam.hotmail.com>,
RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sony and Mythic have "public stances" as well. Giving lip service to
> stopping it and stopping it are two different things. I agree that we'll
> have to wait and see how active they are about it.

Actually, Mythic isn't against selling accounts--just items and
currency. In fact, the EULA gives rules and instructions for selling
accounts (basically, you have to include the CDs and stuff, and there is
an email address that you have to use to notify Mythic so they can
update their records to list the new owner).

--
--Tim Smith

"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in message
> Once again, IGE has an ad on the back of CGW. So I started to wonder
>
> Sure enough, there are already accounts for sale. Someone is trying to
sell
> a 18 Bard for 90 bucks on the good side of A.Bayle ... that's the first
> server I clicked on (it was at the top of the list).
>
> Crimony.
>
> Crash

There may be some who have now finished their 30 days free and don't want to
continue - I guess it's one way of recouping the purchase price of the game,
but gee, $90 (I assume it's USD) is alot of money....it's only taken three
weeks to get to level 17 with a few alts on the go too =)

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:48:54 -0500, RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On 23 Dec 2004 15:33:14 GMT, Sean Kennedy wrote:
>
>> "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> Once again, IGE has an ad on the back of CGW. So I started to wonder
>>>
>>> Sure enough, there are already accounts for sale. Someone is trying
>>> to sell a 18 Bard for 90 bucks on the good side of A.Bayle ... that's
>>> the first server I clicked on (it was at the top of the list).
>>>
>>> Crimony.
>>>
>>> Crash
>>>

>> Well, at least Blizzard came out and took a public stance against
>> selling accounts/gold/items for real money. Now to see if they follow
>> through.
>
>Sony and Mythic have "public stances" as well. Giving lip service to
>stopping it and stopping it are two different things. I agree that we'll
>have to wait and see how active they are about it.

You'll never know how active they are about it other than the 'lip
service' they give you. There are legal roadblocks and lawsuit issues
to naming names on who you banned and why. That's why Blizzard is
vague and simply uses a general 'we've banned hundreds of accounts for
the speed hack'. It'll all come down to trust.. and sorry when it
comes to trust I'd put SOE slightly behind George W while Blizzard has
a very good track record.

-MJ