Is my power supply dying

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
I recently had a couple problems with my computer. It gets very unstable and on the reboot sometimes it doesn't load properly or at all. I was suspicious of two things HD or power supply. So I installed MotherBoard Moniter 5 and created a log. Here is the last value before it last crashed:

Case temp: 39C
CPU temp: 74C
Core0: 1.84V (I beleive it should be 1.76V)
Core1: 1.03V (should be 1.15V)
3.3V: 2.88V
5V: 4.95V
12V: 12.43V

I know that my CPU temp is high. But I don't think it's the problem I have run it at this temp for ovr 2 years now. I am more concerded for the voltages. What is the maximum error on the voltages for the computer to run within the right range.

The only change I did recently is I added an extra stick of 256Mb of RAM.

Is my power supply dying or just not powerfull enough. Here are my spec:

AMD T-Bird 1400Mhz
2*256Mb DDR RAM
Gigabyte GA-7DXR motherboard
ATI 9600pro
Maxtor 40Gig HD 7200RPM

My power supply is only 300W.

Any other idea of what the problem might be.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
No. It usually is 68C to 71C, but it seems that the higher core voltage made the CPU even hotter. I don't overclock my CPU so it is not that big of a deal. The T-Bird is rated at a maximum temperature of 92C so I'm still a long way from the maximum.

Your signature is actually true for my CPU. :lol:

That's still waaaaaaaaay to high and is likely to be at least a significant contributory factor to your problems. I know about the 92C limit but anything higher than 60C would get most people worried.

:eek: My CPU runs so hot it creates a quark-gluon plasma :eek:

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
I'd say yes. You'd do better with a higher quality/wattage power supply. Check out a Fortron FSP350. They're short money and killer PSU's.....And for christ's sake, get yourself some fans; 72C is NOT normal. =)

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
Doesn't botter me too much. At least not enough for me to get a new CPU fan. But I'm getting a new case with my new power supply, so the cooling will be much better.

I got scewed when I bought my case: it only has one casing fan in the front. Really bad air flow.

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Your case temps arent the problem. There's *no way* everything is working right if you have a 35C temperature difference between case and CPU. You dont have to listen of course, but I think you're nuts for letting it run that high for that long.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
3.3v at 2.88v is low enough to cause your memory to loose data. I'd replace the power supply first.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
I replaced the power supply and while I was at it I got a new case. My case is a Lian Li PC05, very nice case in aluminium with 3 case fan included (which is 3X as much as in my old case) and it was only 100$CAN very good product. For my power supply I went for an Antec TruePower 380W.

So now my voltages are much closer to the expected voltage and my CPU temp is down to 62C. Thanks for your help.