Ian

I run XP. Had it when it started. I cannot find any programme to back up my
files (I am told it is important.) Can anyone help me? I have run a seach and
it has not been located. It is not on P & M in the control panel. help!
--
Ian

Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp

Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Ian" wrote:

| I run XP. Had it when it started. I cannot find any programme to back up my
| files (I am told it is important.) Can anyone help me? I have run a seach and
| it has not been located. It is not on P & M in the control panel. help!
| --
| Ian

Hi Ian,

If you're running Home Edition of XP, then have a look at this MSKB article:

HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition

In addition, you might find these MSKB article of interest to you:

How to Use the Backup Utility to Back Up Files and Folders in Windows XP
Home Edition

Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I run XP. Had it when it started. I cannot find any programme to back up
my
> files (I am told it is important.) Can anyone help me? I have run a seach
and
> it has not been located. It is not on P & M in the control panel. help!
> --
> Ian

Ian

Thanks for replying. However, I have looked on the onecomputerguy site and
can't see anything. The others are irrelevant until I can find or install the
back up programme. Any other suggestions?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home
>
> HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp
>
> Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255&Product=winxp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

> "Ian" wrote:
>
> | I run XP. Had it when it started. I cannot find any programme to back up my
> | files (I am told it is important.) Can anyone help me? I have run a seach and
> | it has not been located. It is not on P & M in the control panel. help!
> | --
> | Ian

Ian

Patti,

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately the XP was already loaded and I don't
have an XP disc. If you can help any further, please let me know.

"Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> If you're running Home Edition of XP, then have a look at this MSKB article:
>
> HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=302894
>
> In addition, you might find these MSKB article of interest to you:
>
> How to Use the Backup Utility to Back Up Files and Folders in Windows XP
> Home Edition
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=320820
>
> Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=315255
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I run XP. Had it when it started. I cannot find any programme to back up
> my
> > files (I am told it is important.) Can anyone help me? I have run a seach
> and
> > it has not been located. It is not on P & M in the control panel. help!
> > --
> > Ian

Visit http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home
and click on "download a copy" which is the "ntbackup.msi" file. After
downloading this file, right-click on it and select "Install".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

| Thanks for replying. However, I have looked on the onecomputerguy site and
| can't see anything. The others are irrelevant until I can find or install the
| back up programme. Any other suggestions?

You're welcome for the reply.

All I can suggest is to contact the computer manufacturer and inquire as to
how you would install the Backup program on your PC..........or, if you know
someone who has the XP Home Edition install CD, see if they would lend it to
you for the purpose of installing the Backup program.

Regards,

--

> Patti,
>
> Thanks for replying. Unfortunately the XP was already loaded and I don't
> have an XP disc. If you can help any further, please let me know.
>
> "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
>
> > Hi Ian,
> >
> > If you're running Home Edition of XP, then have a look at this MSKB
article:

> > HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=302894
> >
> > In addition, you might find these MSKB article of interest to you:
> >
> > How to Use the Backup Utility to Back Up Files and Folders in Windows XP
> > Home Edition
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=320820
> >
> > Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=315255
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Patti MacLeod
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >
> > "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I run XP. Had it when it started. I cannot find any programme to back
up
> > my
> > > files (I am told it is important.) Can anyone help me? I have run a
seach
> > and
> > > it has not been located. It is not on P & M in the control panel.
help!
> > > --
> > > Ian

Ian

Patti,

I have installed the download. Thank you for your assistance. It might jave
been nicer if it had been installed from the outset. Thank you for your help.

"Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> If you're running Home Edition of XP, then have a look at this MSKB article:
>
> HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=302894
>
> In addition, you might find these MSKB article of interest to you:
>
> How to Use the Backup Utility to Back Up Files and Folders in Windows XP
> Home Edition
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=320820
>
> Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=315255
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I run XP. Had it when it started. I cannot find any programme to back up
> my
> > files (I am told it is important.) Can anyone help me? I have run a seach
> and
> > it has not been located. It is not on P & M in the control panel. help!
> > --
> > Ian

You're welcome for the help :)

Regards,