Dibo

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2003
Hey all, I have a question about acrylic cases... I *hope* to build an entirely new pc in the next few weeks, and this will be the first time attempting to do so. As far as cases, some of the all acrylic cases i have seen look pretty cool, however, sites differ on the information they give about them. Some sites say that because the case is acrylic, it will not do anything to stop EMI emmisions, while other sites say nothing about this. My question - are acrylic cases bad for home use? Do I need to worry about damaging electronics which might be near this computer? Any help would be appreciated. I would also like to hear from anyone who is using an acrylic case about pros/cons.
Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Dibo on 09/01/03 09:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, with an acrylic case your AGP bus will mess with your TV (unless you're using cable), some other bus will mess with your radio, the CPU or CPU bus may mess with your cordless phone, and using a microwave oven in a nearby room could cause your computer to crash. Have fun!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Dibo

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2003
Hmm, ok, that doesn't sound too crazy, one of the sites i looked at made it seem like you might get cancer from the things!
On a side note, I have lately been using a wireless LAN and have noticed some pretty nasty interference if I'm talking on my cordless near the computer.
Still looking for any input from people who have built/used the acrylic cases. Saw some made by Sunbeam and they look decent, but a bit hard to find the UV reactive for sale. Anyone have info?

Dibo

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2003
Hmm, ok, that doesn't sound too crazy, one of the sites i looked at made it seem like you might get cancer from the things!
On a side note, I have lately been using a wireless LAN and have noticed some pretty nasty interference if I'm talking on my cordless near the computer.
Still looking for any input from people who have built/used the acrylic cases. Saw some made by Sunbeam and they look decent, but a bit hard to find the UV reactive for sale. Anyone have info?

Sartori

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2003
Hello

I recently built a computer using an acrylic case. Turned out very cool and looks great. Had too spend some time with the wiring though too make it look "neat". I haven't seen any interference at all using the case. I have a cordless phone by it, a cell phone, theres tv in the room with wireless video and audio running too it, I don't have a microwave in the office so don't have too worry about that.

I got the case off of ebay, uses some good thick acrylic and some nice brass hardware too put it together. One bad thing about the case though, the motherboard is mounted on the one side panel, so in order too swap out hard drives and cd/dvds you have too take that one panel off too get too the screws. I think you get the picture......

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
There is nothing to worry about. Think about all the stuff you have that is not shielded! Yes they emit more interference and are more susceptible. But it's nothing to worry about. And if you are worried about interference causing cancer, you better climb into a metal casing and stay there for the rest of your life. Those emissions are all around you; High voltage lines, cellular phones, TV radio etc.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>