Can I disable "Isass" in startup list?

I've been going through my MSCONFIG along with guidance from that Task List
program "AnswersThatWork" that describes what you can/cannot disable in the
startup list.

I'm very unclear about "Isass" .. which I see is in some
Windows/System/etc./etc. directory.

There's some confusion with that and another thing called "Lsass" ... I do
not have that .. I have "Isass".

Can someone tell me if I may disable it?

The task list program thinks it might be a viral thing ... anyone have any
advice on this one? But they warn folks confuse it with "Lsass" which must
not be tampered with.

I'd rather not experiment (yet) until I get a few ideas from others.

I do not know if it is an *.exe ...

Thanks much,

Michael

--
Michael
3 answers Last reply

    LSASS.EXE is a legitemate XP file. ISASS.EXE is not.

    isass.exe (ISASS.EXE) is registered as the Optix.Pro virus which carries in
    it's payload, the ability to disable firewalls and local security
    protections, and a backdoor capability.

    lsass.exe (LSASS.EXE) is a system process of the Microsoft Windows security
    mechanisms. It specifically deals with local security and login policies.

    LSASS.EXE is in >>
    C:\WINDOWS\system32
    and
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1A92E908-2720-4421-8A81-1DA8DE118639@microsoft.com,
    Michael <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I've been going through my MSCONFIG along with guidance from that
    > Task List program "AnswersThatWork" that describes what you
    > can/cannot disable in the startup list.
    >
    > I'm very unclear about "Isass" .. which I see is in some
    > Windows/System/etc./etc. directory.
    >
    > There's some confusion with that and another thing called "Lsass" ...
    > I do not have that .. I have "Isass".
    >
    > Can someone tell me if I may disable it?
    >
    > The task list program thinks it might be a viral thing ... anyone
    > have any advice on this one? But they warn folks confuse it with
    > "Lsass" which must not be tampered with.
    >
    > I'd rather not experiment (yet) until I get a few ideas from others.
    >
    > I do not know if it is an *.exe ...
    >
    > Thanks much,
    >
    > Michael
    >

    > --
    > Michael

    Isass.exe - Process Information
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/isass/

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Michael" wrote:

    | I've been going through my MSCONFIG along with guidance from that Task List
    | program "AnswersThatWork" that describes what you can/cannot disable in the
    | startup list.
    |
    | I'm very unclear about "Isass" .. which I see is in some
    | Windows/System/etc./etc. directory.
    |
    | There's some confusion with that and another thing called "Lsass" ... I do
    | not have that .. I have "Isass".
    |
    | Can someone tell me if I may disable it?
    |
    | The task list program thinks it might be a viral thing ... anyone have any
    | advice on this one? But they warn folks confuse it with "Lsass" which must
    | not be tampered with.
    |
    | I'd rather not experiment (yet) until I get a few ideas from others.
    |
    | I do not know if it is an *.exe ...
    |
    | Thanks much,
    |
    | Michael

    My only question then is, I do not see Lsass.exe in my startup list,
    shouldn't I?
    I'm running Windows XP home.

    If you suggest that I wouldn't necessarily have Lsass in my startup list, I
    will go ahead and disable Isass ... hope that'll be okay to do,

    Thanks for all the help

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > LSASS.EXE is a legitemate XP file. ISASS.EXE is not.
    >
    > isass.exe (ISASS.EXE) is registered as the Optix.Pro virus which carries in
    > it's payload, the ability to disable firewalls and local security
    > protections, and a backdoor capability.
    >
    > lsass.exe (LSASS.EXE) is a system process of the Microsoft Windows security
    > mechanisms. It specifically deals with local security and login policies.
    >
    > LSASS.EXE is in >>
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32
    > and
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:1A92E908-2720-4421-8A81-1DA8DE118639@microsoft.com,
    > Michael <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I've been going through my MSCONFIG along with guidance from that
    > > Task List program "AnswersThatWork" that describes what you
    > > can/cannot disable in the startup list.
    > >
    > > I'm very unclear about "Isass" .. which I see is in some
    > > Windows/System/etc./etc. directory.
    > >
    > > There's some confusion with that and another thing called "Lsass" ...
    > > I do not have that .. I have "Isass".
    > >
    > > Can someone tell me if I may disable it?
    > >
    > > The task list program thinks it might be a viral thing ... anyone
    > > have any advice on this one? But they warn folks confuse it with
    > > "Lsass" which must not be tampered with.
    > >
    > > I'd rather not experiment (yet) until I get a few ideas from others.
    > >
    > > I do not know if it is an *.exe ...
    > >
    > > Thanks much,
    > >
    > > Michael
    > >

    > > --