Can I disable "Isass" in startup list?

February 28, 2005 9:13:03 PM

I've been going through my MSCONFIG along with guidance from that Task List
program "AnswersThatWork" that describes what you can/cannot disable in the
startup list.

I'm very unclear about "Isass" .. which I see is in some
Windows/System/etc./etc. directory.

There's some confusion with that and another thing called "Lsass" ... I do
not have that .. I have "Isass".

Can someone tell me if I may disable it?

The task list program thinks it might be a viral thing ... anyone have any
advice on this one? But they warn folks confuse it with "Lsass" which must
not be tampered with.

I'd rather not experiment (yet) until I get a few ideas from others.

I do not know if it is an *.exe ...

Thanks much,

Michael

--
Michael
Anonymous

LSASS.EXE is a legitemate XP file. ISASS.EXE is not.

isass.exe (ISASS.EXE) is registered as the Optix.Pro virus which carries in
it's payload, the ability to disable firewalls and local security
protections, and a backdoor capability.

lsass.exe (LSASS.EXE) is a system process of the Microsoft Windows security
mechanisms. It specifically deals with local security and login policies.

LSASS.EXE is in >>
C:\WINDOWS\system32
and
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1A92E908-2720-4421-8A81-1DA8DE118639@microsoft.com,
Michael <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I've been going through my MSCONFIG along with guidance from that
> Task List program "AnswersThatWork" that describes what you
> can/cannot disable in the startup list.
>
> I'm very unclear about "Isass" .. which I see is in some
> Windows/System/etc./etc. directory.
>
> There's some confusion with that and another thing called "Lsass" ...
> I do not have that .. I have "Isass".
>
> Can someone tell me if I may disable it?
>
> The task list program thinks it might be a viral thing ... anyone
> have any advice on this one? But they warn folks confuse it with
> "Lsass" which must not be tampered with.
>
> I'd rather not experiment (yet) until I get a few ideas from others.
>
> I do not know if it is an *.exe ...
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Michael
>

> --
> Michael
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 11:34:21 PM

Isass.exe - Process Information
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/process...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Michael" wrote:

| I've been going through my MSCONFIG along with guidance from that Task List
| program "AnswersThatWork" that describes what you can/cannot disable in the
| startup list.
|
| I'm very unclear about "Isass" .. which I see is in some
| Windows/System/etc./etc. directory.
|
| There's some confusion with that and another thing called "Lsass" ... I do
| not have that .. I have "Isass".
|
| Can someone tell me if I may disable it?
|
| The task list program thinks it might be a viral thing ... anyone have any
| advice on this one? But they warn folks confuse it with "Lsass" which must
| not be tampered with.
|
| I'd rather not experiment (yet) until I get a few ideas from others.
|
| I do not know if it is an *.exe ...
|
| Thanks much,
|
| Michael
March 1, 2005 1:05:02 AM

My only question then is, I do not see Lsass.exe in my startup list,
shouldn't I?
I'm running Windows XP home.

If you suggest that I wouldn't necessarily have Lsass in my startup list, I
will go ahead and disable Isass ... hope that'll be okay to do,

Thanks for all the help

!