EQ2 spells App2 vs App3 vs Adept1 vs ...

My little Ratonga soon-to-be-Illusionist (one named kill left for the F->Q
betrayal) has a two Adept 1 spells, about 4 Apprentice III, and the rest App2.

It definitely seems that some Adept 1 are common, and most are rare. The ones
I find tend to sell pretty cheaply, and the ones I want are darned expensive
or simply never for sale.

I have two main questions:

1) has anyone started doing actual parses and comparisons of the effects of
different spell levels? I keep forgetting to do it, and I usually level a few
times between tests, making the comparison impossible. My gut feel is that
it's a large upgrade from app1 to app2, a small upgrade (if any) from app2 to
app3, and then a medium upgrade to adept 1.

2) is anyone finding spells better than adept 1? I have yet to ever see
(dropped or for sale) any adept 2+, or any master spells. Are they only
available to very high level characters?

On a related note, Sony's clever plan of only allowing player trades when
someone is online and in their room may actually anger me enough to quit
eventually, but for now it mostly means I have to sell books I find pretty
cheaply so they go quick (they also seem to always be fairly common), and the
selection when I want to buy is very poor.

I understand that this is their intent, but it's a very bad one, and it REALLY
irks me that the only people who can sell things effectively are those who
don't mind dedicating their computer to EQ2 forever. It bugged me in EQ1 too,
but it was such an improvement when they added it that it seemed less dumb.
Really, it's a horrible design choice.

The major benefit will go to ebay platinum sellers, once things get rolling.
They'll be able to put in the time to work the market, and reap the benefits.
--
Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/>

They're basically encouraging people to pay for two accounts
(regardless of what they say, that is the real reason).
Some Adept I spells are really very common, while others are very rare
(if they exist at all).
In all the 25 levels (in one char plus 20 in another), I have only seen
one 'Master' spell drop in any of my groups, and sadly it was for
another class.
In any case, I find I'm doing quite well with just my apprentice 3
spells, I can solo oranges and have no problem healing my group most of
the time (templar 25 here).
I'm definitely not paying more than 1 gold for an Adept I if I already
have App 3, I only have some 6 gold in my account and don't think the
jump from App3 to Adpt 1 is that big of a deal

"Mark Rafn" <dagon@dagon.net> wrote in message
> My little Ratonga soon-to-be-Illusionist (one named kill left for the F->Q
> betrayal) has a two Adept 1 spells, about 4 Apprentice III, and the rest
> App2.
>
> It definitely seems that some Adept 1 are common, and most are rare. The
> ones
> I find tend to sell pretty cheaply, and the ones I want are darned
> expensive
> or simply never for sale.
>
> I have two main questions:
>
> 1) has anyone started doing actual parses and comparisons of the effects
> of
> different spell levels? I keep forgetting to do it, and I usually level a
> few
> times between tests, making the comparison impossible. My gut feel is
> that
> it's a large upgrade from app1 to app2, a small upgrade (if any) from app2
> app3, and then a medium upgrade to adept 1.
>
> 2) is anyone finding spells better than adept 1? I have yet to ever see
> (dropped or for sale) any adept 2+, or any master spells. Are they only
> available to very high level characters?
>

> On a related note, Sony's clever plan of only allowing player trades when
> someone is online and in their room may actually anger me enough to quit
> eventually, but for now it mostly means I have to sell books I find pretty
> cheaply so they go quick (they also seem to always be fairly common), and
> the
> selection when I want to buy is very poor.
>
> I understand that this is their intent, but it's a very bad one, and it
> REALLY
> irks me that the only people who can sell things effectively are those who
> don't mind dedicating their computer to EQ2 forever. It bugged me in EQ1
> too,
> but it was such an improvement when they added it that it seemed less
> dumb.
> Really, it's a horrible design choice.

Anything better than adept 1 is crafted by tradeskills.

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:25:29 -0500, "Fleebag of Toxx"
<ospam@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Anything better than adept 1 is crafted by tradeskills.

No, Adept III is crafted.

I don't know if Adelt II can be bought anywhere, like App IIs.

Master Is are drops.

And what's with all the carrots ?

Mark Morrison wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:32:31 GMT, "Davian"
> <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:
> >
> >"Mark Morrison" <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote in message

> >> No, Adept III is crafted.
> >>
> >> I don't know if Adelt II can be bought anywhere, like App IIs.
> >>

> >According to rumor, Adept II is a line of quested upgrades from very
hard
> >quests. Rumor also says that the quests are not live in the game
yet. (if
> >they ever make it in.)
> >

> >> Master Is are drops.
> >>

> >And either ultra rare, or only from ubermobs.
>
> Yep - I've ony ever seen 1 for sale, in Thundering Steppes, and
> wouldn't be surprised if came from one of the names mobs (we spotted
> one the other day, a centaur wwho was yellow +++ and has a rating of
> '2 teams recommended'). Ouch.

Mob type doesn't matter. I've been in a group (three of us) who had a
master drop off an ash owlbear. One of my friend's had a master (Wind
of the Gray or something similar about Gray) drop of a (get this) cow
in Commonlands. They are just extremely rare.

"Mark Morrison" <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:25:29 -0500, "Fleebag of Toxx"
> <ospam@adelphia.net> wrote:
>

> >Anything better than adept 1 is crafted by tradeskills.
>
> No, Adept III is crafted.
>
> I don't know if Adelt II can be bought anywhere, like App IIs.

According to rumor, Adept II is a line of quested upgrades from very hard
quests. Rumor also says that the quests are not live in the game yet. (if
they ever make it in.)

> Master Is are drops.

And either ultra rare, or only from ubermobs.

--
Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk

Wolfie

Davian wrote:

>> Master Is are drops.
>
> And either ultra rare, or only from ubermobs.

They're rare (in the sense Adept 1s are common.)
Spells drop from mobs in the same tier. A moat
rat right outside Qeynos dropped a Master level
Smite spell, for instance.

On 24 Dec 2004 10:13:43 -0800, "Meaffwin" <suka_@cox.net> wrote:

>Mark Morrison wrote:

<snip>

>Mob type doesn't matter. I've been in a group (three of us) who had a
>master drop off an ash owlbear. One of my friend's had a master (Wind
>of the Gray or something similar about Gray) drop of a (get this) cow
>in Commonlands. They are just extremely rare.

That's good to know, thanks.

And what's with all the carrots ?