Sign in with
Your question

Multiplayer video pc games

Last response: in Video Games
December 19, 2011 4:35:19 AM

Hello,

I want to get my son a (some) computer that allow us to compete with each other from separate home computers at home and/or over the internet. What do I need to do that? Thank you for your help!
December 19, 2011 3:37:09 PM

Do you mean you need a gaming PC for your son? Along with that you want to be able to play the same game together from your computer as well? I would pose this in the system builder forum to get better system specs. However, what are you looking to play? Do you currently have a gaming pc?
December 26, 2011 1:12:49 AM

Sorry Mike, I left the word game(s) out. We have com0puters and really aren't interested in getting so far in as buying gaming computers. We just want to have some head-to-head competition in racing or fighter jets, etc. We are not interested, at this time, in getting into online game competition. Any suggestions? Thanks ahead of time for your answer. Merry Christmas!
Related resources
December 26, 2011 4:14:13 PM

You would need a copy of game for each of you to play over LAN or internet. Are you already familiar with LAN and/or PC multiplayer gaming? How old is your son?
January 2, 2012 4:00:07 AM

Somewhat familiar. My late brother enjoyed an online racing game against other online racers and he use to tell me about it. I have heard of others that are sophisticated warrior games where a palyer starts out at the bottom of the hierarchy in an online army and progresses through higher and higher "ranks" as he gains experience. I would like to start with something not too complex to see if he would like it. My son is 12.
January 2, 2012 8:34:37 AM

2 computers that you can setup on the home network. some lan software to make a home gaming network (often supplied with the games and called a local server) and 2 eithernet cables and a router. 1 player will start the game and open the server. the other will join him via ingame lan settings.
so if you already have the pc's you just need to connect em together.
January 3, 2012 5:41:56 PM

I know this is the PC band of the Gaming forum, but a simple solution would be to get 2 consoles, eg PS3 and the same game or one that allows split screen play. To play a decent PC game you need a somewhat capable PC with an upgraded video card. With A PS3 coming in at $250 it's the cheapest and easiest solution. Many of those games have LAN support and you can pick up some older titles pretty cheap used at a Game Stop. My son, who is 9, loves playing Gran Turismo 5 with me on the Arcade split screen mode on PS3. It's easier to play those types of games with a controller.
January 3, 2012 6:26:16 PM

Will this run BF3 on Ultra and also will it run Diablo 3 on max or is it overkill for that game ? and also is a SSD neccesary for running games fast?

Intel Core i7-3930K (Six Core, 12MB Cache) Overclocked up to 4.1Ghz
16GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
1TB SATA 6Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache
January 4, 2012 1:26:52 AM

^What's with the thread hijack?
January 4, 2012 6:43:02 AM

If you just want to play a few odds games I'd look at free titles first.
Games like Assault Cube, SuperTuxCart and Warzone 2100 are completely free and can be played via LAN and internet.

If both of the PC's in question are gaming PC's you should be able to setup a local server on pretty much any online multiplayer game on one of the PC's then access/play on it from the other.

If your wanting to do this often or without interfering too much on the "server" computer its best to use a separate computer to run the server version of the game.
!