My PC has died, Possible PSU prob

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Hey All,

Just a quick question to get yur thoughts on my prob. My computer turned off two nites ago with an audible "click" noise. I never rebooted, on examination it had blown the fuse in the power cable although on replacing it and powering up it then proceeded to blow the fuse AND flip the trip switch in the house. At no stage has the computer shown signs of life since and I've blown 3 fuses.

The computer was built by myself (specs below) and i never had any probs except a very rare system shut down which i always just attributed to good old windows.

Does this problem I'm having sound like the PSU has failed or would the same thing happen if the chip overheated or mobo blew?? Is it worth pointing that apart from the "click" noise when it shut off there was no smoke, or any other audible sound and the pc wasnt even under stress.

System specs are as follows:
amdxp2600+
asus a7n8x mobo
2*256 ddr ram (generic)
geforceti4600
audigy2 (recently installed)
20gb hardisk 7200rpm (unknown maker)
120gb hardisk 7200rpm western digital caviar special ed (recently installed)

case is Antec SX835II/WS and came with an Antec 350W PSU

which leads on to next question of is this PSU big enough and did i fry my last one because it was under too much strain and whats yur recommendation for a new psu? i also have the cdrw under constant use as i use the machine primarily for games.

Also do u get AMD only psu's and Intel only psu's?
And will a new psu fit in my case as long as its ATX compatible?

(yes the last two are total newb questions but im not really up to date with anything PSU related)

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

"I'm the dog from the telly. Would you like to stroke my coat?"

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Power supplies are specific to the motherboard/case form factor, not the processor. (ie AT Case, AT PSU. ATX Case, ATX PSU)

A new ATX PSU should fit in your current case, no problem.

I suspect your PSU, definately. It does seem like you might have been pushing it a little bit too hard.