Unable to restart from hibernation

Hello, all,

A friend's computer was put in hibernation and upon restart, it goes through
its post and then, before the XP screen comes up, a DOS looking screen comes
up with messages:

The last attempt to restart the system from its previous location failed
Attempt to restart again?

Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu
(this selection is highlighted, but the keyboard and mouse are dead)

Continue to system restart

She is unable to select any of the above. The only thing she can do is
restart by pressing the reset button on the front panel, then it repeats the
same problem. She has XP Home SP1. I just cleaned this machine up for her
last weekend and she took it home and used it with nary a problem until
today. Does anyone know what might cause this behavior or what I might do
to fix it?

TIA,

Rip

--
Ripper T Smith
rippertsmith<nospam>@comcast.net

"RipperT" <rippertsmith<nospam>@comcast.net> wrote:

>A friend's computer was put in hibernation and upon restart, it goes through
>its post and then, before the XP screen comes up, a DOS looking screen comes
>up with messages:
>
>The last attempt to restart the system from its previous location failed
>Attempt to restart again?
>
>Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu
>(this selection is highlighted, but the keyboard and mouse are dead)
>
>Continue to system restart
>
>She is unable to select any of the above. The only thing she can do is
>restart by pressing the reset button on the front panel, then it repeats the
>same problem. She has XP Home SP1. I just cleaned this machine up for her
>last weekend and she took it home and used it with nary a problem until
>today. Does anyone know what might cause this behavior or what I might do
>to fix it?

There may be a problem with that the Windows power saving modes are
not compatible with the hardware of the computer.
Try booting to the Safe Mode and using the System Restore from here:
"A Description of the Safe Boot Mode Options in Windows XP"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315222)
"How to Start System Restore Tool From a Command Prompt in Windows XP"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304449)

--
(tm)

What if I removed the battery form the motherboard? Wouldn't this drain RAM
and I could reboot fresh? The computer will not reach the state at which F8
will have an effect.

Rip

"RipperT" <rippert<nospam>@comcast.net> wrote:

>What if I removed the battery form the motherboard? Wouldn't this drain RAM
>and I could reboot fresh? The computer will not reach the state at which F8
>will have an effect.

The RAM is wiped out when you power off the computer. You may refer to
wiping out the BIOS settings.I do not know if this helps here. I would
check this with the manufacturer of the computer at first.

--
(tm)