a bug in the game? [eq2]

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

I am finding a strange bug since wednesday morning when they took down the
servers. Now when I play the game after an hour or so it triggers my hp
3300c scanners scan function as if I have pushed the scan button. It
launches Adobe photoshop and totally screws system performance. Is anyone
else having this trouble?

Fleebag of Toxx
5 answers Last reply
More about game
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

    "Fleebag of Toxx" <ospam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >I am finding a strange bug since wednesday morning when they took down the
    >servers. Now when I play the game after an hour or so it triggers my hp
    >3300c scanners scan function as if I have pushed the scan button. It
    >launches Adobe photoshop and totally screws system performance. Is anyone
    >else having this trouble?
    >
    > Fleebag of Toxx

    This is just a wild guess on my part but maybe the fact that you're pushing
    hte scan button is triggering your scanner.

    "John Lynch, Jr." <nospam_jlynch@se.rr.com> wrote in message

    > "Fleebag of Toxx" <ospam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >>I am finding a strange bug since wednesday morning when they took down the
    >>servers. Now when I play the game after an hour or so it triggers my hp
    >>3300c scanners scan function as if I have pushed the scan button. It
    >>launches Adobe photoshop and totally screws system performance. Is anyone
    >>else having this trouble?
    >>
    >> Fleebag of Toxx
    >>

    > This is just a wild guess on my part but maybe the fact that you're
    > pushing hte scan button is triggering your scanner.

    Nope it sits a little too far away for that. I've unplugged it and disabled
    the driver in the device manager until I can resolve it.

    But good guess anyway ;-)
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

    John Lynch, Jr. wrote:
    > "Fleebag of Toxx" <ospam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>I am finding a strange bug since wednesday morning when they took down the
    >>servers. Now when I play the game after an hour or so it triggers my hp
    >>3300c scanners scan function as if I have pushed the scan button. It
    >>launches Adobe photoshop and totally screws system performance. Is anyone
    >>else having this trouble?
    >>
    >>Fleebag of Toxx
    >>

    > This is just a wild guess on my part but maybe the fact that you're pushing
    > hte scan button is triggering your scanner.

    Umm, he said "as if I have pushed the scan button" so how did you come
    up with that?

    Are you certain there is nothing else running on your PC when you start
    EverQuest? It does not seem likely that the game would start your
    scanner. But it is entirely possible that something in memory,
    particulary the scanner software itself might be interacting with
    something and causing the problem. If your scanner came with software
    that say runs a process in the background all the time this may be the
    culprit. Any icon for your scanner software in the system tray all the
    time by any chance? I wonder if there's a hotkey something like that
    supports that's getting intercepted as you play EQ that fires up the
    scanner. Just some ideas.

    I would suggest making sure there's nothing running in the system tray
    when you start EQ and also hitting control+alt+delete to bring up the
    task manager and killing anything in the applications window at a
    minimum before you run EQ. While in the task manager you might want to
    try clicking on the Processes tab and look at the list to see if you can
    identify any process running that looks from its name like it belongs to
    the scanner and click the End Process button to kill it if you find one.

    Give that a little test and see how it goes. If that doesn't work maybe
    we can think of something else to try, such as firing up msconfig and
    booting into a system that has no other software running to test it out.

    And if all that fails, I would contact tech support for your scanner and
    tell them what you are experiencing. They may have an idea about how the
    scanner could be triggered unexpectedly. Odds are if this is an issue
    with owners of this scanner, they have probably already heard about it
    and can tell you how to fix it.

    Let us know how you make out.

    --
    Get Thunderbird - Reclaim Your Inbox

    Get Firefox! - The Browser You Can Trust
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

    Fleebag of Toxx wrote:
    > I am finding a strange bug since wednesday morning when they took down the
    > servers. Now when I play the game after an hour or so it triggers my hp
    > 3300c scanners scan function as if I have pushed the scan button. It
    > launches Adobe photoshop and totally screws system performance. Is anyone
    > else having this trouble?

    Is it maybe a hotkey that you don't hit all that often, but hit
    sometimes that is triggering the scanner? I'd go with the msconfig
    stripping suggestion where you disable things you don't really truly
    need to run at start-up, but I'm a cycles whore lol

    --
    http://www.simplerich.com

    Illegitimi non carborundum
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

    "Rich G." <simplerich@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Fleebag of Toxx wrote:
    >> I am finding a strange bug since wednesday morning when they took down
    >> the servers. Now when I play the game after an hour or so it triggers my
    >> hp 3300c scanners scan function as if I have pushed the scan button. It
    >> launches Adobe photoshop and totally screws system performance. Is anyone
    >> else having this trouble?
    >
    > Is it maybe a hotkey that you don't hit all that often, but hit sometimes
    > that is triggering the scanner? I'd go with the msconfig stripping
    > suggestion where you disable things you don't really truly need to run at
    > start-up, but I'm a cycles whore lol
    >
    > --
    > http://www.simplerich.com

    Good Idea think I'll try it