Sign in with
Your question

Yet another steam sale

Last response: in Video Games
December 19, 2011 4:26:19 PM

Metro 2033 is on sale for 4.99 and also amnesia at 4.99.
i suggest to everyone that has not yet played either one to pick them up while they are a steal

More about : steam sale

December 19, 2011 4:29:59 PM

Yeah, Amensia is a nice change. Highly recommend the penumbra collection if anyone likes amensia as well.

I have metro 2033 but haven't had time to sit and get into it. I loaded up a quick new game and the guns felt odd when shooting. But I didn't have time tweak my settings like vsync, mouse sensitivy and what not. So I may be able to fix that.

But for $5 they are definitely worth it id say too.
m
l
Related resources
December 19, 2011 4:47:03 PM

skaz said:
Yeah, Amensia is a nice change. Highly recommend the pandora collection if anyone likes amensia as well.

I have metro 2033 but haven't had time to sit and get into it. I loaded up a quick new game and the guns felt odd when shooting. But I didn't have time tweak my settings like vsync, mouse sensitivy and what not. So I may be able to fix that.

But for $5 they are definitely worth it id say too.

the thing about metro is; it is a gem, but flawed a bit.
the guns arent the best in the genre. with that said, it is an immersive experience that is coupled with extremely good visuals and good storytelling. I thoroughly enjoyed it many times
you mean penumbra? yes, i recommend penumbra to those that are fans of amnesia as well
m
l
December 19, 2011 4:56:40 PM

Yes, I meant penumbra. fixed.
m
l
December 19, 2011 4:57:07 PM

How long does it take to complete Metro? I haven't play it, but have been told it's good. I always like $5 games that will occupy me for a while.
m
l
December 19, 2011 4:57:31 PM

skaz said:

I have metro 2033 but haven't had time to sit and get into it. I loaded up a quick new game and the guns felt odd when shooting.

FlintIronStagg said:
the thing about metro is; it is a gem, but flawed a bit.
the guns arent the best in the genre.

The guns are supposed to handle poorly in the game, there are very few pre nuclear war weapons that survived the blast.
Many of the weapons in Metro 2033 are made in the Metro itself mainly in the Armoury station, made from whatever scrap metal the Stalkers can salvage from the surface, such as the "Bastard" sub machine gun, Appropriately named as its a bastard to shoot.

They are not going to preform/handle as well as professionally made modern weapons, made from quality materials.

m
l
December 19, 2011 4:58:27 PM

jay2tall said:
How long does it take to complete Metro? I haven't play it, but have been told it's good. I always like $5 games that will occupy me for a while.

There is about 10-12 hours of gameplay, IIRC.
m
l
December 19, 2011 5:00:38 PM

Gothams Finest said:
The guns are supposed to handle poorly in the game, there are very few pre nuclear war weapons that survived the blast.
Many of the weapons in Metro 2033 are made in the Metro itself mainly in the Armoury station, made from whatever scrap metal the Stalkers can salvage from the surface, such as the "Bastard" sub machine gun, Appropriately named as its a bastard to shoot.

They are not going to preform/handle as well as professionally made modern weapons, made from quality materials.

i found that the weapons later in the game were much better to handle and more balanced than theoriginal issued pistol and bastard gun. the AK handled well as did the P90 and the shotgun blast is great too. I still consider it a bit of a flawed gem, but the main focus of the developers was the atmosphere and immersion into the game
m
l
December 19, 2011 5:03:50 PM

The AK and P90 are pre war weapons that were not built in the Metro, which is why they handle better.
Just like the bullets which are made in the Metro deal less damage than the pre war bullets which are used as currency.
m
l
December 19, 2011 5:27:39 PM

List all purchases made in the steam sale, and how much lighter it made your wallet....

So far I havent bought anything.
m
l
December 19, 2011 5:29:07 PM

Gothams Finest said:
There is about 10-12 hours of gameplay, IIRC.

Is it a directed game or more sandbox? Just wondering. I am playing BF3, but always welcome a distraction for a few days. I don't like getting sucked into to many games at once. Otherwise the wifey will get upset. A happy wife is a happy life.
m
l
December 19, 2011 5:32:10 PM

Oh wait I just checked it out on my phone and they have Portal 2 for $7.49. I'll pick that up tonight.
m
l
December 19, 2011 5:37:20 PM

jay2tall said:
Otherwise the wifey will get upset. A happy wife is a happy life.

lol.

No it's not a sandbox, I think Metro being a non sandbox game makes it more immersive, and pushes the story along better than a sandbox would. Metro has multiple endings which gives it nice reply value, I've played though it 3 times now.

I'm also thinking off getting Portal 2 cant got wrong for £5.
m
l
December 19, 2011 6:00:28 PM

Is amnesia worth it? Whenever I watch videos of people playing it all they do is yell at the slightest movement or noise....then hide in game.
m
l
December 19, 2011 6:21:38 PM

Gothams Finest said:
lol.

No it's not a sandbox, I think Metro being a non sandbox game makes it more immersive, and pushes the story along better than a sandbox would. Metro has multiple endings which gives it nice reply value, I've played though it 3 times now.

I'm also thinking off getting Portal 2 cant got wrong for £5.

for $5 and $7.49 I might just pick up both and eventually play Metro. I mean it's $5. I just skip my weekly smoothy run down stairs and it's paid for.
m
l
December 23, 2011 6:32:48 PM

Come on people, what games have you bought in the sale so far?
m
l
December 23, 2011 6:54:36 PM

I also bought Mass Effect 1 & 2 for $4.99 each last night. In addition to my Portal 2 and Metro 2033 I bought. $22.50 for 4 games..Not bad. I have a few games to play now over the next.... YEAR.

I got Uncharted 3 early for PS3 since it was $29.99 at BestBuy over Black Friday. The Wifey gave it to me early. It's a great game, already beat it. I am pretty sure I am getting Infamous 2 as well which was on sale at Target from the parents. I continue to watch Steam. Heck, if I can stock up on half a dozen games for $30 I might be set for the next year. Mass Effect is somewhat long I hear.
m
l
December 23, 2011 6:59:32 PM

Crysis, Metro 2033, Portal 2, LIMBO, MDK+MDK2 (personal favorites from days passed), Half Life 2 Episode 2, Mass Effect 1.

All together $37 ish.
m
l
December 23, 2011 7:03:19 PM

I begin that the weapons after in the bold were abundant bigger to handle and added counterbalanced than theoriginal issued pistol and adulterated gun. the AK handled able-bodied as did the P90 and the shotgun bang is abundant too. I still accede it a bit of a awry gem, but the capital focus of the developers was the atmosphere and captivation into the bold.
m
l
December 23, 2011 7:04:49 PM

I almost pulled the trigger on the Batman's, but I want under $9.99 games. Crysis 2 would be a great addition. I see Alien vs Predator for $3.99. How is that?
m
l
December 23, 2011 7:07:12 PM

I'm not going to lie Jay, I got arkham city free with my gtx 570 and it is a great game. For single player rpg I would say I prefer it to skyrim for the sake of 2011 voting.
m
l
December 23, 2011 7:46:08 PM

jay2tall said:
I almost pulled the trigger on the Batman's, but I want under $9.99 games. Crysis 2 would be a great addition. I see Alien vs Predator for $3.99. How is that?

AvP is absolute garbage. i got it for the same price during last years sale. If it were given to me i wouldnt play it.

I however bought trine, trine 2 , rage and arkham city during the past couple sales. trine 2 was full price, but 14.99.... meh ill get it.
m
l
December 23, 2011 11:22:22 PM

casualcolors said:
I'm not going to lie Jay, I got arkham city free with my gtx 570 and it is a great game. For single player rpg I would say I prefer it to skyrim for the sake of 2011 voting.

My cubical neighbor got it and loves it. He said he is doing all the side missions. He sold his 6870 for a GTX 560Ti just for PhysX and he said it made a world of difference.
m
l
December 23, 2011 11:33:34 PM

jay2tall said:
My cubical neighbor got it and loves it. He said he is doing all the side missions. He sold his 6870 for a GTX 560Ti just for PhysX and he said it made a world of difference.

I would agree with that assessment. I'm playing the game in the same fashion, completing all of the side missions along the way. I think the part that it succeeds the most at, is that it is a little sandboxy but there is a definite driving force. Along the way of completing the main mission, you are just constantly barraged with side missions and people in need of your superhero assistance. It basically feels like you're batman. Never a moment to rest when you're fighting crime.
m
l
December 24, 2011 11:39:10 AM

jay2tall said:
I also bought Mass Effect 1 & 2 for $4.99 each last night. In addition to my Portal 2 and Metro 2033 I bought. $22.50 for 4 games..Not bad. I have a few games to play now over the next.... YEAR.

Great games, how are you finding Metro 2033?
m
l
December 24, 2011 11:48:01 AM

jay2tall said:

Arkham city is awesome, just like Arkham Assylam was/still is.

Its just a shame its not well optimised for the PC at the moment. Everybody before the first patch were getting dips to 1-2fps in DX11 mode regardless of hardware, including people with 590s and sli 580s. After the patch things have improved a little but the FPS still dips down to 10-15fps which is unacceptable. Hopefully they will fix this soon.

I'm currently waiting for further patches before playing through any further.

If you havent already played Arkham Assylam, you should definitely give it a try and hopefully after you've completed it Arkham City will be patched.

As for AvP, if your a fan of Aliens or Predetors or both then I would say AvP is worth a try for the price, I got it when it first came out and I thought it was ok, nothing special but worth a play through. I just don't think its as bad as some make out, If your not a fan of either Aliens or Predetors though it may be better trying something else.
m
l
December 24, 2011 4:36:07 PM

Skyrim is in todays daily deals (33% off).

I would also recommend Company of Heroes (80% off) to any RTS fans who have not yet tried it.
m
l
December 24, 2011 4:51:23 PM

Gothams Finest said:
Skyrim is in todays daily deals (33% off).

I would also recommend Company of Heroes (80% off) to any RTS fans who have not yet tried it.

skyrim is worth full price easily; pick this one up guys for the sale... Im at 80 hours and counting into skyrim...
m
l
December 25, 2011 4:26:17 PM

Arkham asylum is 4.99 on steam... well worth the price.
m
l
December 25, 2011 4:33:27 PM

Yeah and it actually runs well, unlike Arkham City.
m
l
!