befvp41 and dynamic ip

isparq

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2002
I have two small offices and want to set up a vpn between them. I purchased two Linky befvp41 routers. Both offices are connected to the net by DSL with dynamic IP addresses.
I set up dynamic dns service with dyndns.org at both ends and have used PC Anywhere to remote control with no problems. My local groups are both 192.168.1.1~254 and the router gateway is 192.168.1.1 at both ends. I am not able to connect. I tried putting the IP address of the gateway at either end and using any at the other, but it doesn't help. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you need to forward the correct ports for vpn, off hand i couldnt tell you wich that is.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
no j, these routers have built in VPN software.

Question: Have you ever configured this sort of setup before? I'm thinking there's some sort of config switch such that they're in bridge mode rather than strict server mode? Just a guess.

Also, is the DDNS being successfully updated? I know you said you put the IP address in, but that won't last long.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

isparq

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2002
Thanks for the tips guys; I managed to get connected but am still unable to browse the remote network. Linksys tech sup told me that the two routers have to have different internal lan ip addresses. eg. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1 for this to work, but I have yet to change my config.

It seems that the befvp41 has a shortcoming in that you can't put a dns address in the remote gateway, only an ip address. This only becomes a problem if both sides are dynamic ip. Maybe the new firmware update will support this, but I haven't flashed my router yet.