ronco05

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
i want to install a new hard drive in my computer.i dont want to reinstall windows from scratch.i just want to copy the old drive to the new drive.whats the best software to do the transfer?
xp pro
512 mb ram
1ghz p3
tyan trinity 400 motherboard

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Acronis True Image 8.0 ... but if you just want to image one drive, let a PC shop do it for $20 or so ... why buy the software for a one-time thing ... I own Acronis, but I regularly image my partitions for back-up ... and store them on a large partition for a time ...

<b>"The Edge - there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson, </b><b><i>Hell's Angels, 1965</i></b>

riser

Illustrious
Email me in my profile and I'll send you Ghost.exe which fits on a boot disk, which you'll need to provide or hit up bootdisk.com.

Install your 2nd hard drive, then you boot up to dos, run Ghost.exe and then you can clone/copy your hard drive to your other drive. Very simple, very fast.

Or you can download Ghost.exe off a website if you just do a simple search for it.

sturm

Splendid
Depending on what drive you got or if its oem or not, there may be a disk that came with the drive that will copy the drive for you. I used the disk that came with a WD drive and it worked just fine.

setdhook1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
Just went through creating a new disk image on a larger drive and kept the orginal for bkup purpose. Used Acronis True Image 8.0 which I bought for a resonable price on ebay. This product rocks, it has a number of features, bkup to DVD, etc;. easy to use and and does a Great Job. My new imaged drive, booted up and is working Great. Also, you can use your HDD vendor's software, I used Matrox Blast 3 and it perform well, but I still Like the Acronis True Image 8.0 product :>. You maybe able to find it for a reasonable price on ebay :> . P.S. Keep that line wet, and don't forget to Setdhook :> :>