help please with Win xp - major challange

I recently re-installed Windows XP home and need to set my computer so
that it looks at my previous Documents and Settings folder. The
re-install created a new Documents and Settings folder which Windows is
using, and my old folder IS still there. I tried copying and pasting
the contents of the old folder to the new one, but that did not work.
Please help me!! Is there a file (i.e. win.ini) or a registry setting
I can do so Windows will use and utilize my previouse Documents and
Settings folder?

Thanks!!

Eddie G
15 answers Last reply
More about help major challange

    Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
    To change the default location of the My Documents folder, follow these
    steps:

    1. Click Start, and then point to My Documents.
    2. Right-click My Documents, and then click Properties.
    3. Click the Target tab.
    4. In the Target box, do one of the following:• Type the path to the folder
    location that you want, and then click OK. For example, D:\My Stuff.

    If the folder does not exist, the Create Message dialog box is displayed.
    Click Yes to create the folder, and then click OK.

    -or-

    • Click Move, click the folder in which to store your documents, and then
    click OK twice.

    If you need to create a new folder, click Make New Folder. Type a name for
    the folder, and then click OK twice.

    5. In the Move Documents box, click Yes to move your documents to the new
    location, or click No to leave your documents in the original location.

    "mickeddie@comcast.net" wrote:

    > I recently re-installed Windows XP home and need to set my computer so
    > that it looks at my previous Documents and Settings folder. The
    > re-install created a new Documents and Settings folder which Windows is
    > using, and my old folder IS still there. I tried copying and pasting
    > the contents of the old folder to the new one, but that did not work.
    > Please help me!! Is there a file (i.e. win.ini) or a registry setting
    > I can do so Windows will use and utilize my previouse Documents and
    > Settings folder?
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    > Eddie G

    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    <mickeddie@comcast.net> wrote in message news:1109810108.934672.289880@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
    |I recently re-installed Windows XP home and need to set my computer so
    | that it looks at my previous Documents and Settings folder. The
    | re-install created a new Documents and Settings folder which Windows is
    | using, and my old folder IS still there. I tried copying and pasting
    | the contents of the old folder to the new one, but that did not work.
    | Please help me!! Is there a file (i.e. win.ini) or a registry setting
    | I can do so Windows will use and utilize my previouse Documents and
    | Settings folder?
    |
    | Thanks!!
    |
    | Eddie G

    After I copied all the info from the old Documents and Settings folder
    to the new one, and then switch users, SOME of the programs now appear
    in the All Programs listing. Three strange things, though. When I
    click Start, there is nothing on the left half of the window, I cannot
    get my OE to run at all, and my desktop is not right, either.

    That all makes a lot of sense to me. You've made a new user and it's not as
    easy as just copying all the stuff over. If you just want to change the
    location of the My Documents folder, follow my instructions above. To make a
    new user that is identicle to the old user, log in as the old user, use the
    Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to collect all the settings and data, save
    them to a folder on the C: drive (don't save them to the old user's My
    Documents or anywhere else specific to that user), then log in as the new
    user and use F.A.S.T to import it all back into the new user. Now that your
    new user is screwed up, I'd delete that user, make a new one and start over.
    Keep in mind, if you're old user is not set exactly the way you need it to
    be, that is what will be set up for the new user.

    You'll get there.

    "mickeddie@comcast.net" wrote:

    > After I copied all the info from the old Documents and Settings folder
    > to the new one, and then switch users, SOME of the programs now appear
    > in the All Programs listing. Three strange things, though. When I
    > click Start, there is nothing on the left half of the window, I cannot
    > get my OE to run at all, and my desktop is not right, either.

    Finally someone who understands what I am going through! When I
    re-installed Windows my old user name is not there so I can NOT log in
    as the old user. Like I said, my old user foler is in the Documents
    and Settings folder. I DO want to make a new user identical to the old
    user. Since I can NOT log on as the old user, what do I do now? Can I
    just change the name of the previous Documents and Settings file to one
    that the Windows is using? I am hopeful that this can somehow be done
    since the data is there. I just need this by April 15th as my Turbotax
    is part of the old user settings <g>

    What is F.A.S.T?

    I went back and read it all again. To try to make it short:

    1. You cannot simply reanme a user within Documents and Settings. Windows
    doesn't just look for that name in the path the way you are thinking. I
    tried it a couple years ago, then read about why it didn't work. Don't ask
    me where I read it.

    2. If your data is still in a folder that is accessable, you can just copy
    and paste it into the "documents" folder of any user and that data will be
    accessable. You can also copy the contents of "desktop" from a user, the
    contents of "favorites", and the contents of some other folders into the same
    folder of a new user. But again, as you've seen, just renaming the user
    folder within Documents and Settings doesn't work.

    3. F.A.S.T. = Files and Settings Transfer.

    "mickeddie@comcast.net" wrote:

    > Finally someone who understands what I am going through! When I
    > re-installed Windows my old user name is not there so I can NOT log in
    > as the old user. Like I said, my old user foler is in the Documents
    > and Settings folder. I DO want to make a new user identical to the old
    > user. Since I can NOT log on as the old user, what do I do now? Can I
    > just change the name of the previous Documents and Settings file to one
    > that the Windows is using? I am hopeful that this can somehow be done
    > since the data is there. I just need this by April 15th as my Turbotax
    > is part of the old user settings <g>
    >
    > What is F.A.S.T?

    On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 17:03:03 -0800, "mtrox"
    <mtrox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I went back and read it all again. To try to make it short:
    >
    >1. You cannot simply reanme a user within Documents and Settings. Windows
    >doesn't just look for that name in the path the way you are thinking. I
    >tried it a couple years ago, then read about why it didn't work. Don't ask
    >me where I read it.
    >
    >2. If your data is still in a folder that is accessable, you can just copy
    >and paste it into the "documents" folder of any user and that data will be
    >accessable. You can also copy the contents of "desktop" from a user, the
    >contents of "favorites", and the contents of some other folders into the same
    >folder of a new user. But again, as you've seen, just renaming the user
    >folder within Documents and Settings doesn't work.
    >
    >3. F.A.S.T. = Files and Settings Transfer.
    >
    >"mickeddie@comcast.net" wrote:
    >
    >> Finally someone who understands what I am going through! When I
    >> re-installed Windows my old user name is not there so I can NOT log in
    >> as the old user. Like I said, my old user foler is in the Documents
    >> and Settings folder. I DO want to make a new user identical to the old
    >> user. Since I can NOT log on as the old user, what do I do now? Can I
    >> just change the name of the previous Documents and Settings file to one
    >> that the Windows is using? I am hopeful that this can somehow be done
    >> since the data is there. I just need this by April 15th as my Turbotax
    >> is part of the old user settings <g>
    Take a look at this key.
    I think this associates the user to the doc path
    (but I haven't tried it so I'm not 100% sure)
    before trying it set a manual system restore point.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths

    Even after this, there may be more to do.
    For example, does you old user still exist in hkey_users?

    Dave

    I searched for my old user name in the registry and it did not come up.
    The key you refer to...is that only for the documents? There is a lot
    more to my challange than just the documents.

    Thanks!!

    Eddie G
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    On 3 Mar 2005 18:14:00 -0800, mickeddie@comcast.net wrote:

    >I searched for my old user name in the registry and it did not come up.
    > The key you refer to...is that only for the documents? There is a lot
    >more to my challange than just the documents.
    >
    >Thanks!!
    >
    >Eddie G
    I think in general, if your old docs and setting file is
    still there, create a New user using control panel/
    user accounts. Reboot the pc and logon as your present ID
    (not the new one)
    copy the old docs and settings file over the New one.
    Try logging on to the new user.

    Dave
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 19:06:34 -0800, da_test
    <davexnet02NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    >On 3 Mar 2005 18:14:00 -0800, mickeddie@comcast.net wrote:
    >
    >>I searched for my old user name in the registry and it did not come up.
    >> The key you refer to...is that only for the documents? There is a lot
    >>more to my challange than just the documents.
    >>
    >>Thanks!!
    >>
    >>Eddie G
    >I think in general, if your old docs and setting file is
    >still there, create a New user using control panel/
    >user accounts. Reboot the pc and logon as your present ID
    >(not the new one)
    >copy the old docs and settings file over the New one.
    >Try logging on to the new user.
    >
    >Dave
    this might be helpful:

    Dave
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I think when I first copied the files to the new docs/settings folder I
    may have copied some files that should have been transferred (such as
    ..dat files), so here is what I did and where I stand now. First, when
    I re-installed win xp the new user FOLDER NAME in docs/settings is
    eddie goldberg.goldberg. The old one that is still there is Eddie
    Goldberg. I created a new user account with administrative properties
    called Eddie 2. I then went and deleted the folder eddie
    goldberg.goldberg since that is the one that is messed up. So this is
    where I am now. If I created a new account named Eddie Goldberg would
    Windows default it to the OLD eddie goldberg docs and settings folder,
    or would a new one be created (which would probably be eddie
    goldberg.goldber again?)
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    You're right, if you make a new user called Eddie Goldberg it will make a new
    user folder...probably called "Eddie Goldberg (2)" in my experience. It will
    not just find the path "C:\Documents and Settings\Eddie Goldberg". Again, it
    doesn't look for a path that you and I recognize. I'd make a new user with
    Administrative rights as you've done. Then copy the contents (not the folder
    itself) of Documents, Favorites, Desktop, maybe Start Menu if you've made
    changes to that. Paste those contents into the same folder under the new
    user. That will get you back close to where you were.

    In my experience, you start trying to copy everything and you will make far
    more work for yourself than it will take to adjust everything to the way you
    had it.

    Next time you do this, use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (F.A.S.T.)
    to save all of a user's settings and docs.

    I must be missing something Eddie. What do you want to transfer that is not
    coming by this method?

    "mickeddie@comcast.net" wrote:

    > I think when I first copied the files to the new docs/settings folder I
    > may have copied some files that should have been transferred (such as
    > ..dat files), so here is what I did and where I stand now. First, when
    > I re-installed win xp the new user FOLDER NAME in docs/settings is
    > eddie goldberg.goldberg. The old one that is still there is Eddie
    > Goldberg. I created a new user account with administrative properties
    > called Eddie 2. I then went and deleted the folder eddie
    > goldberg.goldberg since that is the one that is messed up. So this is
    > where I am now. If I created a new account named Eddie Goldberg would
    > Windows default it to the OLD eddie goldberg docs and settings folder,
    > or would a new one be created (which would probably be eddie
    > goldberg.goldber again?)

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Last time I copied the folder contents not all of my programs were
    listed under Start\All programs, I could not start OE, my desktop had
    no icons, and the bar at the top of the various windows was smaller
    than usual. I am now copying the files from my old folder to another
    new one I created.

    BTW, can I safely delete the other folders under Documents and
    Settings, i.e."all users.windows" and "all users.windows2", etc?

    Since I did NOT have my previous user name at log-in, would F.A.S.T.
    have worked?
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Log in as THE administrator (hit F8 while XP home is booting) and then TAKE OWNERSHIP of the old documents and settings file.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    <mickeddie@comcast.net> wrote in message news:1109978682.544197.303710@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    | Last time I copied the folder contents not all of my programs were
    | listed under Start\All programs, I could not start OE, my desktop had
    | no icons, and the bar at the top of the various windows was smaller
    | than usual. I am now copying the files from my old folder to another
    | new one I created.
    |
    | BTW, can I safely delete the other folders under Documents and
    | Settings, i.e."all users.windows" and "all users.windows2", etc?
    |
    | Since I did NOT have my previous user name at log-in, would F.A.S.T.
    | have worked?

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I decided to use my current user info and re-create my former
    desktop/preferences. Using OE for newsgroups I do not remember my user
    name or password. Is that on my computer somewhere?

Microsoft Windows XP