What will video games be like between now and 2030?

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009

You should speak with Artyom (Metro 2033) seeing that he's already in the year 2033! [:mousemonkey]

Well, in my opinion there will be the following things:

- next 2 generations of consoles will come out
- graphics will continue to get better and better with better hardware becoming available
- if PCs adopt new input scemes (touch sensitive or motion recognition) we might see some high end games utilizing that technology and exploring new possibilities in game styles
- 3D will move forward perhaps giving us 3D projections in midair (scifi stuff, i know)
- network speeds increasing and better bandwidth might give rise to new types of games

as far as games themselves, frankly the majority of the genre has been well defined and the formula for success in each one of them has been demonstrated by quite a few companies already. There might always be ones who figure out a better way to play some good old game. Overall, I doubt we will see revolutionary game designs / concepts unless relying on some new technology like I mentioned (motion recognition or similar). Because truth be told I think VG industry has reached the peak of achievement on M+K, the only path for improvement is new tech or better graphics.