OS Decision for Gaming

charon711

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
I'm planning a build for playing Skyrim, COD, BF2&3 and various other games, but I have come to a cross roads with the OS (operating system).

I am on a budget and the thing that is really killing me is the OS, obviously i wont even have a functioning computer without it so here is where i stand. I already have Windows 7 home premium 32bit OEM from when my HD crashed a few years back. I can either downgrade from my planned 8GB of ram to 4GB and use the 32bit OS i already have OR i can download Ubuntu 11.10 64bit for free.

Now then i am obviously running on 32 bit Windows 7 right now and am vary familiar with how it works with games (practically install and play), but how do games work with Ubuntu? I have heard it works and that it doesn't.

What would you guys recommend.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Win7 64-bit is what you need. You need DX11 support and when you're gaming you can't struggle with a 32-bit OS to limit your usable RAM.

Also, when you purchase, ensure you buy a FPP Windows. OEM or DSP software packages only work once on a single machine, which is *** for a gaming rig.

You need Windows 7 64 bit. Just pony up and get it. I'm sure you can compromise with some of the other parts. If you are buying from Newegg you can save some cash by looking for combo deals. Just get Windows 7 OEM. It's $99, maybe cheaper with a holiday deal or combo. Once you install an OEM license to a machine it is "married to that machine for all time, but should be fine for upgrades and such. For custom builds there is some play with that, but for brand name OEM's, like HP or Dell the OS lives and dies with the machine.

charon711

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011

I'm not.... But my wife is a student :D . Could you link me a sight for such partners? I'm American.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

Upgrades are fine as long as you don't change the motherboard. New motherboard means new MAC address and the registration will fail. I do know that contacting Microsoft support can have them moving the new motherboard's MAC to the older OEM copy though, I've seen it happen on more than one occasion myself.

charon711

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011

This says the same thing but there seems to be a twist

"You can use upgrade media to install Windows 7 on a computer that doesn't have Windows XP, Windows Vista, or any version of Windows installed on it by starting (or booting) your computer from the Windows 7 upgrade installation disc or a USB flash drive and performing a custom installation. However, you won't be able to activate Windows 7, which validates that you have a genuine copy of Windows and allows you access to all the features."

so is there a work around to get the full version out of it on a clean install?

alternately could i use my cd key form my windows 7 32bit disk to get the upgrade? I will be using the same HD that the 32bit is on so technically it is not a clean install....

that sounds a bit confusing...

ok let me restate that

my hard drive currently has windows 7 32bit, I will be using the same hard drive in my build. Could i use the upgrade disk on the hard drive and get it to 64 bit? The win7 32bit i have i got as a OEM from Newegg when an older drive failed, so technically i believe i have the license along with the cd key.

I am not quite sure how they register the OS. My current build was built with Vista Ultimate 64bit. I had to replace the motherboard a week into the built and never had an issue. I once reloaded XP in a different hard drive on the same PC and it said it was already registered and I had to call Microsoft. All I said was I had to replace the primary hard drive because it crashed and they reactivated my key. I have never once called M$ and have them say "no we won't activate your key".

charon711

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Well I dont have an issue any more! My lovely wife went to her campus and called me asking about what i was looking for. A few seconds later she called me and told me that they actually had the full version and she got it for me with her grant money. So now i have the full version with both 32 bit and 64 bit.

Yes it has been a good day indeed..... now i just need to wait for income tax to put it to use.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

My girlfriend's PC kakked a few months ago. She bought it with the full OEM software packages and stuff about four years ago, so warranty was off and everything was cool. I installed a new motherboard, formatted with her included Win7 Basic disc, and when I wanted to register it kicked me out. New motherboard = new MAC address = no registration. Contacted MS, and it was all solved in good time. Helped another guy through the same procedure not two months ago as well. MS is pretty cool in this regard.

I guess it's possible that Win7 only requires registration after 30 days (you can use the full stuff for 30 days before it kicks you out), which may be why it didn't detect the change in mobo in your case. This is all speculation though, I'm glad everything worked out for you :)

charon711

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
quick question, since i have the full version now is it reusable? Can i use the 64bit multiple times? or is it reusable in the case of it can only be activated on one pc at a time?

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

ALWAYS only one PC at a time. Installing it on more than one PC will be illegal. But yes, if you have the FPP it's reusable as many times as you like.