Well worth the read!

infiltrator

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2003
Your Chenbro visit article was awesome. Was good to see this kind of stuff on THG. Hope to see more of this kind of reporting more often ;)

dstell

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Thanks for your positive feedback on this one!

We went through a lot to make sure that we could present the article the way that we wanted to do it. Which we were able to do with the help from the folks at Chenbro.

At any rate, I would like to do another visit with another company where we could see the process again, but with a company that builds its cases with soft tooling rather than hard tooling like Chenbro does.

At any rate, when we can do stuff like this we will do it. Because of the amount of sites aorund it, some times makes it difficult to be able to find unique stories and we were able to make this one happen.

While it was a lot of work and a lot of traveling, I had a lot of fun doing it.

I spent 2 1/2 days at the factory in China working on the article, it was very cool and we had excellent access to the plant during our visit, I don't think there is anything that we didn't see during our visit except maybe how they take out the trash, and I am sure we could have seen that if we would have wanted too.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I don't think there is anything that we didn't see during our visit except maybe how they take out the trash, and I am sure we could have seen that if we would have wanted too.

LOL :smile:

Thanks for the laugh on a Monday morning.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=7" target="_new">Check out the new Case Mod and PSU section of the THGC</A>

infiltrator

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2003
Yeah, I was lucky enough to see Acer in Taiwan. Really cool friendly people! We were there for 3 months (work) and even saw the Computex Taipei show back in 97 ;)

I'll be lookig forward to the next review ;)

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
The Chenbro article really opened my eyes and how we take our cases for granted these days. Although the article didn't sway me to purchase a Chenbro case but it does make me aware that I should look for quality and not really pay too much attention to price.

There are so many case designs these days it make sense to build a generic case shell and let us pick out the front benzel of our choice so they can focus on adding neat features inside the case like no screws mounting racks.

Darkk

dstell

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
While the coverage I did was on Chenbro, this is the way that it is done in a hard tooling production enviorment.

Chenbro although they have been around for 20 years, is fairly new to producing cases for sale in the channel. The Xpider/Gaming Bomb is their first attempt at doing a main stream case. To be honest it was a pretty good first attempt as it managed to win an Editor's Choice.

They are working on a lot of cool concepts, and they showed me many of these. I can tell you that a few of them rival some of the best cases for Cooler Master, Super Flower or Lian Li, so of course we keep an eye on these guys to see what they produce next.

Quality is the key issue! - I think we have been doing a good job of pointing that out in our reviews.

You are going to see more new concepts from a variety of compnaies, it will be fun to see what new cases finally make there way into our lab for review.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah that was quite a good article.
Very eye opening.

Would love to see inside the superflower factory too as i have a black rebraded superflower case :smile:

How about a trip around the corsair memory factory?
Be interesting to see how they design produce and test the "overclockers" memory modules.

<b>I am not a AMD fanboy.
I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
I AM a performance fanboy.
And a low price fanboy. :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

RobD

Champion
Now that would be an interesting article to read.

<font color=blue>"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that" - Bill Shankly</font color=blue>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I agree. It was a great article. :) I hope THG does more like it. I'm finding that I just don't care as much about the CPU itself anymore.

And it'd be interesting to make a comparison run through a US enclosure manu just to see if there's a difference in work ethic and such. :)

<pre><A HREF="http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030905" target="_new"><font color=black>People don't understand how hard being a dark god can be. - Hastur</font color=black></A></pre><p>

dstell

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Super Flower is all soft tooling stuff. They are one of the companies that is speaking with me about doing a tour with them.

Corsair or Kingston might be an option. I thought about it a lot, but have never been able to put it togeather.

I think we will do a few more, since the reaction to this one was so good.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Cool.
I look forward to what you can achieve, but dont envy you trying to get through all the red tape to accompish your results :)

<b>I am not a AMD fanboy.
I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
I AM a performance fanboy.
And a low price fanboy. :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>