Can someone recommend a good combat flight sim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProGamer643

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Hi guys, I was looking for a recommendation for a modern combat flight simulator. I've had LOMAC, but that didn't really float my boat, so I am looking for a sim that has superb graphics and online multiplayer capable (like flight sim X's server browser).

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

You could try DCS Black Shark, a Kamov 50 heli sim.

zulshah06

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

you can check this link to get for a highly recommended PC flight combat simulator games that has many feature with
look for a combination of both a realistic flight sim as well as those that model real life flying and with superb graphic.
I strongly recommended you to check the review there......tq.. :)

http://tinyurl.com/bvhyguu

zoomar

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

In my experience, Lock On certainly qualifies as a sim although modern airwarfare is not my thing. Rise of Flight is an excellent sim with amazing graphics (if WW1 floats your boat). The entire IL-2 series (except the knock-off arcady "Birds of Prey" or something like that) are by far the best WW2 combat flight sims available - far better than the MS CFS series. Buy Il-2 1946 and apply the official updates (and 3rd party mods, if you want) and you'll be flying a sim with almost every WW2 plane you can think of in it that is about as good graphically and complexity-wise as many newer titles with twice the GPU/CPU appetite. You can make the games as easy or hard as possible. At hard settings you can fiddle to your heart's content with magnetos, radiator settings, fuel mixtures, prop pitch, weapon loadouts and fuzing, flaps, tabs, and, yes, you will definitely crater that P-38 if you're not careful. That's if you don't go into a flat spin in that Fw-190 or rip the wings off that Me-262 in a high g turn first. If you are patient, I'd also recommend the latest "Sturmovik" title, Cliffs of Dover, about the Battle of Britain. It was released very buggy by Ubisoft but has had several huge patches over the past year that have greatly improved its playability. It's a horrible resource hog and still needs work to be the complete game it ought to be, but if you have a high-end machine it will reword you with its attention to detail. And the clickable cockpits are a thing to die for.

tiger6k

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

What you're thinking of in terms of a flight sim don't even come close to DCS: A-10C and Black Shark 2.

It might as well be the real thing.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I have no idea what has happened to the series, as I haven't played one of their games in quite a while, but Janes used to have some good combat flight titles. They fell kind of in the middle, erring toward heavy simulation (for their day).

I do believe they have a newish game out in the series, and maybe it is worth looking into or perhaps someone here on the forums has more direct recent experience with their titles.

tiger6k

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
" But if it's intricacy you want, if painstaking attention to detail is your nirvana, and if you fancy yourself able to digest and execute, in perfect symmetry, each and every operation involved in starting, launching, flying, taking into battle, and eventually landing what is arguably the most comprehensive virtual portrayal ever devised of a modern warplane, look no further than Eagle Dynamics' exhaustive DCS: A10C Warthog, one of precious few serious flight sims in the modern gaming landscape.
" - IGN.com

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

They have the Janes Joint Strike Fighter on Steam but it's almost insulting to any former Janes veteran. There's no in cockpit and it's like hawx in so many ways (except hawks and 1st person views).

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

I'll give you a run down:

I believe DCS has a free patch for LOMAC titled flaming cliffs 2. If not, you can buy it at best buy for $20. It's not a high fidelity sim (i.e. ever gadget is clickable) but it's certainly much more intricate than a game like HAWKX. It's definitely a medium fidelity simulator in that you can BVR utilizing RWS through the VSD, it's just that you have to enter key commands to do so.

I've never played Black Shark but I hear it was insane before DCS re-released it as Black Shark 2. I do have DCS: A-10 and the reason I purchased it was because of how impressed I was with the A-10s modelling in Flaming Cliffs 2. Even though MFSDs in Flaming cliffs are functional, the accuracy in DCS: A10c is eery. I'm telling you right now, as far as fidelity is concerned, you aren't going to find a better sim on the market. Lately IGN has had some weak reviews. The fact that they put Call of Duty in the same category as BF3 is atrocious. With that being said, they're review of A10c was spot-on.

I played Falcon and it's very accurate though the Falcon is a legacy Falcon. There are way more new avionics in even the oldest of Falcons but it's still an accurate high fidelity simulator that can be maxxed. There are a ton of mods and the game looks beautiful for it's time. Also, the game was created by an F-16 pilot and his crew chief. I'm an f-16 crew chief and it's similar but our birds are way more up to date obviously. But, the DCS A10 uses more modern avionics, radar, and weapons systems so you'll essentially learn to fly an A10.

X-Plane has a war-birds add-on for a bit of money if you're interested as does Aerofly FS which is an under the radar German simulator that's getting a lot of views. X-Plane 9 is only $29 for the global scenery. I ran x-plane 10 but I think it could definitely use a few patches as it's way more demanding.

Rise of Flight Iron Cross is a very impressive simulator in every category. The graphics are top notch and even at medium settings I find it to the most beautiful of all the sims. The game kind of reminds me of the Rocketeer even though it's a WWI simulator. The population below is sparce at times but there's nothing better than seeing an enemy Train below you in a dog fight with some Germans and taking out their trains. Additionally, if the user wants they can have 40 or 50 birds in the air going head to head if they want, very impressive.

I have every one of the above sims except Aerofly FS and Black Shark/Black Shark 2. I think Lock:eek:n Flaming Clffs 2 is worthwhile though the update (Flaming Cliffs 3) is supposed to patch it into a High Fidelity Simulator and another DCS patch is going to fully integrate every DCS game released in the last 5 years (BS2, A10, Lock on FC2/3, (p-51 when it comes out)).

Good luck and let me know if you need folks to fly with.

G

I have (1) DCS A-10 Warthog, (2) DCS Black-Shark-II and (3) the Benchmark Sims recent version of the old Falcon 4. It is called BMS Falcon but this recent version is superb, (google it). Anyway, these 3 combat sims are way more than what you want, even better than the real thing. Accurate flight model, accurate avionics and weapon systems, very high AI, and impressive lighting and visual effects. These are NOT arcade games, they are simulators, so you will have to spend some time for the learning, but their tutorials are very helpful. I did not regret it, and it did worthed to spend some serious time on them. There are some minor problems though: At first one might consider that they can simulate everything ,.. well they do not. For example they cannot simulate... the rotation of earth ;-). Well, the existing problem is the relatively low frame rate and some stuttering occasionally noticed. The graphics are fine but when selected to be extremely detailed, you may notice some stuttering depending on your computer. For example in FLOT and in very dense combat areas you will have around 15 frames per second and almost 1 momentary stutter per 5 seconds, but still well playable. You will not consider it after some time.
(I'm going for an upgrading in graphics card and RAM soon...)

Specs:
CPU i7 3.07
VGA Nvidia GTX 285
RAM 4 GB DDR3 (1333)

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012
I have (1) DCS A-10 Warthog, (2) DCS Black-Shark-II and (3) the Benchmark Sims recent version of the old Falcon 4. It is called BMS Falcon but this recent version is superb, (google it). Anyway, these 3 combat sims are way more than what you want, even better than the real thing. Accurate flight model, accurate avionics and weapon systems, very high AI, and impressive lighting and visual effects. These are NOT arcade games, they are simulators, so you will have to spend some time for the learning, but their tutorials are very helpful. I did not regret it, and it did worthed to spend some serious time on them. There are some minor problems though: At first one might consider that they can simulate everything ,.. well they do not. For example they cannot simulate... the rotation of earth ;-). Well, the existing problem is the relatively low frame rate and some stuttering occasionally noticed. The graphics are fine but when selected to be extremely detailed, you may notice some stuttering depending on your computer. For example in FLOT and in very dense combat areas you will have around 15 frames per second and almost 1 momentary stutter per 5 seconds, but still well playable. You will not consider it after some time.
(I'm going for an upgrading in graphics card and RAM soon...)

Specs:
CPU i7 3.07
VGA Nvidia GTX 285
RAM 4 GB DDR3 (1333)

I work on F-16s and I can tell you that BMS 4.32 is eerily accurate to how these machines operate. I just got it too, I can't believe it's a free game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS