Upgrading to Pro vs. Just Getting a New Laptop

a b D Laptop
March 3, 2005 4:53:06 PM

Very recently I purchased a HP Pavilion dv1000 series laptop with XP Home
pre-installed on it (some hardware information is below). Shortly after
purchasing I relized that I need XP Professional for its ability to host
websites (I'm a web developer and need IIS).

So my question is if I upgrade to XP Pro from XP Home will it perform as
well as a preinstalled version of XP Pro? Or should I just return my laptop
and buy one with XP Pro preinstalled on it? I don't want to waste money on
the upgrade just to have my laptop bogged down running super slow.

I appreciate your advice and opinions.

Andy Wash
andrew@valleysolutions.com

Hardware Vitals
Intel Pentium M Proc: 1.50 GHz
RAM: 512 MB
Hard Drive: 75 GB (I believe 4200 RPM)

More about : upgrading pro laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 3, 2005 9:12:27 PM

Hi,

In my experience XP Pro runs no slower than Home on the same machine.

You should check with HP before upgrading to make sure it possible.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]