Explorer.exe 100% cpu usage from startup.

Well the problem is due to some circumstances after a reboot at startup.
Windows explorer.exe will consume 100% of the cpu time and will not decrease
until the process is killed. This problem can easily be confused with the
right click menu 100% load and the avi 100% load in windows xp pro and the
battery issue that was fixed in a service pack. This is most definitely a
different problem with apparently absolutely no known fix beyond a reinstall.
I am suffering from this and it came out of the blue after I clicked on the
program files folder to get file size and total amount of sub folders
information. Soon after explorer hogged 100% of the cpu time even after the
file allocation was done and it gave me complete folder size and amount of
sub folders. After killing the process and then running it from task manager
it ran 100% cpu time again. After a reboot it did the same thing.

Several other people on different forums have posted this horrible pc
crippling bug on different forums and this one. The typical responses if they
missed the similarity between this and the other 100% explorer bugs was the
evil spy ware and viruses. After running the programs to scan extensively
from task manager for both I know this is not causing it and is a bug in
windows xp. So far I have tried every other fix for the similar problems to
no avail. If anyone knows a fix to this problem plz let me know.
2 answers Last reply
More about explorer usage startup

    I've had the same problem on occasion, but usually after killing it and a
    reboot it cured itself. No viruses, no spyware ot trojans present. It
    does seem to be a bug. All I can remember doing when it last started was
    click on a link in one of these newsgroups and then changed my mind by
    clicking ESC.

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada.
    "Ages120" <Ages120@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Well the problem is due to some circumstances after a reboot at startup.
    > Windows explorer.exe will consume 100% of the cpu time and will not
    > decrease
    > until the process is killed. This problem can easily be confused with the
    > right click menu 100% load and the avi 100% load in windows xp pro and the
    > battery issue that was fixed in a service pack. This is most definitely a
    > different problem with apparently absolutely no known fix beyond a
    > reinstall.
    > I am suffering from this and it came out of the blue after I clicked on
    > the
    > program files folder to get file size and total amount of sub folders
    > information. Soon after explorer hogged 100% of the cpu time even after
    > the
    > file allocation was done and it gave me complete folder size and amount of
    > sub folders. After killing the process and then running it from task
    > manager
    > it ran 100% cpu time again. After a reboot it did the same thing.
    >
    > Several other people on different forums have posted this horrible pc
    > crippling bug on different forums and this one. The typical responses if
    > they
    > missed the similarity between this and the other 100% explorer bugs was
    > the
    > evil spy ware and viruses. After running the programs to scan extensively
    > from task manager for both I know this is not causing it and is a bug in
    > windows xp. So far I have tried every other fix for the similar problems
    > no avail. If anyone knows a fix to this problem plz let me know.

    I am having the exact same problem. I have also noticed that the guest
    account or a limited account on XP works fine. It´s only the
    administrator account that hangs! I did the same in task manager as
    you but I also had to close any programs (like easy start button) in
    order to make it work. it works for a little while but as soon as I
    start certain programs like pinnacle studio it freezes again.

    this happened after my brother installed "close combat III" on my
    laptop. The only thing I did was create an account for him before
    where he installed it and then changed screens settings afterwards. I
    did see someone say it was a trojan but I dont think its a virus
    (unless it came from close combat) since I dont have an internet
    connection on my laptop. a few people mwntioned it could be lose
    cables inside the computer to the cd or other hardware but they all
    work on the guest account so I dont think that is the solution either,

    please help, its driving me crazy! I need the laptop for editing..

    "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<#RJrGEGIFHA.2976@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
    > I've had the same problem on occasion, but usually after killing it and a
    > reboot it cured itself. No viruses, no spyware ot trojans present. It
    > does seem to be a bug. All I can remember doing when it last started was
    > click on a link in one of these newsgroups and then changed my mind by
    > clicking ESC.
    >
    > --
    > Peter.
    > Toronto, Canada.
    > XP Home SP2.
    > P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
    > "Ages120" <Ages120@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Well the problem is due to some circumstances after a reboot at startup.
    > > Windows explorer.exe will consume 100% of the cpu time and will not
    > > decrease
    > > until the process is killed. This problem can easily be confused with the
    > > right click menu 100% load and the avi 100% load in windows xp pro and the
    > > battery issue that was fixed in a service pack. This is most definitely a
    > > different problem with apparently absolutely no known fix beyond a
    > > reinstall.
    > > I am suffering from this and it came out of the blue after I clicked on
    > > the
    > > program files folder to get file size and total amount of sub folders
    > > information. Soon after explorer hogged 100% of the cpu time even after
    > > the
    > > file allocation was done and it gave me complete folder size and amount of
    > > sub folders. After killing the process and then running it from task
    > > manager
    > > it ran 100% cpu time again. After a reboot it did the same thing.
    > >
    > > Several other people on different forums have posted this horrible pc
    > > crippling bug on different forums and this one. The typical responses if
    > > they
    > > missed the similarity between this and the other 100% explorer bugs was
    > > the
    > > evil spy ware and viruses. After running the programs to scan extensively
    > > from task manager for both I know this is not causing it and is a bug in
    > > windows xp. So far I have tried every other fix for the similar problems
    > > no avail. If anyone knows a fix to this problem plz let me know.

CPUs Explorer Windows XP