windows slows to access hd for the first time

Hi all,
I've been having problems with my Windows XP. It is basically slow to access
the hd. For example, when I open up the My Computer icon, it takes about 45
secs to show the contents. After that, if I click on C: isgoes fine. Same
thing happenswhen Iopen a program, say Word, and try to open a file. First,
it takes about 45 secs to show the contents, then it gets normal.
I thought it could be a virus, spyware aor anything like that. So, I ran
Norton Antivirus, Stinger, Sysclean from trendmicro, Adware, Spybot and
didn't solve my problem.
The thing is when I start windows in safe mode, this problem does not
happen. If anyone could give me ideas about what is happenning, I would
appreciate.
Thanks,
Alessandro
--------

Alessandro wrote:
> I've been having problems with my Windows XP. It is basically slow to
> access the hd. For example, when I open up the My Computer icon, it
> takes about 45 secs to show the contents. After that, if I click on
> C: isgoes fine. Same thing happenswhen Iopen a program, say Word, and
> try to open a file. First, it takes about 45 secs to show the
> contents, then it gets normal.
> I thought it could be a virus, spyware aor anything like that. So, I
> ran Norton Antivirus, Stinger, Sysclean from trendmicro, Adware,
> Spybot and didn't solve my problem.
> The thing is when I start windows in safe mode, this problem does not
> happen. If anyone could give me ideas about what is happenning, I
> would appreciate.

Profile related?
Create a new user and try the same thing with them.

--
<- Shenan ->

Alessandro wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've been having problems with my Windows XP. It is basically slow to access
> the hd. For example, when I open up the My Computer icon, it takes about 45
> secs to show the contents. After that, if I click on C: isgoes fine. Same
> thing happenswhen Iopen a program, say Word, and try to open a file. First,
> it takes about 45 secs to show the contents, then it gets normal.
> I thought it could be a virus, spyware aor anything like that. So, I ran
> Norton Antivirus, Stinger, Sysclean from trendmicro, Adware, Spybot and
> didn't solve my problem.
> The thing is when I start windows in safe mode, this problem does not
> happen. If anyone could give me ideas about what is happenning, I would
> appreciate.
> Thanks,
> Alessandro
> --------

Is the computer attached to a network? The first time it attaches to
the network devices can take some time.