Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

BF3 Multiplayer does not like my overclocking, single player is fine

Last response: in Video Games
Share
December 20, 2011 11:03:33 AM

Dear all

I’ve only recently acquired BF3, and had to spend quite a bit of time sorting my computer out before I could properly install it, never mind get it to play decently (including purchasing Win 7 64bit, and replacing my old Vista 32 bit installation). Nevertheless, I got there in the end and am now trying to optimise my computer and the game settings in order to maximise my experience.

So far, I’ve mainly spent my time playing the campaign, and I have to say that the game runs beautifully with the graphics set to High quality. I can play the game pretty well without overclocking, however I have found that by bumping my CPU upto 3GHz it runs that bit smoother (approx fps about 50).

The rub – when I try to play online, with the CPU overclocked as above, the game appears to stutter or jerk, at regular intervals, when I move around the map. It’s almost as if every 4th or 5th pace, instead of running my character is walking. The pace then picks up again, for 4 or 5 steps, and then slows down again. Ad nauseum. It does not seem so obvious when standing on the spot and turning around, it seems most apparent when I am moving.

I am not sure whether this is the same stuttering/jerking/rubber banding that I have seen other users complain about. It does not seem to be server related as it does it on all of them.

The really confusing thing is that when I do NOT overclock, the effect described above disappears and I can move around the map normally (albeit, with slightly reduced fps and overall performance).

I have tried playing around with hyperthreading, to no avail, turning off anti aliasing and v-sync etc, with no difference. I can even turn the graphics quality down to low, and use a really low resolution, but if the CPU is being overclocked I get the jerkiness described above, if the CPU is not overclocked then it runs fine. Equally weird, I only have to overclock the FSB by a few MHz, and the effect appears.

I naturally thought that I must be doing something wrong with the way I have overclocked my machine, but single player BF3 seems fine even when overclocked, and so does Modern Warfare 3 both single player and multiplayer.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and could anyone shed any light on why the multiplayer game of BF3 should have such an aversion to my overclocking whereas the single player does not?

My system specs:

Mobo = Ep43-Ds3l
CPU = Q6600
GPU = HD4850 1Gb
OS = Windows 7 64bit
Mem = 4Gb RAM

Many thanks in advance,

Ackoman
December 20, 2011 11:34:51 AM

I have a similar system to yours and I'm experiencing the same thing (OC'd mine at 3.12Ghz. I know lots of things but when it comes to OCing I'm pretty new at it. What I'm thinking is we got our memory(RAM) to CPU at the wrong frequency. BF3 MP is heavy on Disk to RAM to VRAM switch and that's why BF3 only appears to crash when playing online.

If I find a solution, i'll let you know...but I don't plan on figuring this out until after the holidays. Hopefully, someone else can help you (us) with this.
December 20, 2011 11:34:55 AM

You have to bear in mind the fact that there is usually a great deal more going on in multiplayer than there is in singleplayer. In some games I experience up to a 15 fps drop from campaign to multiplayer. Did you test the stability of the overclock with something such as prime 95 or 3d mark for at least 12 hours? It could be that the overclock is not fully stable but singleplayer does not put enough strain on the processor for it to become visible.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 20, 2011 11:41:36 AM

Alex The PC Gamer said:
I have a similar system to yours and I'm experiencing the same thing (OC'd mine at 3.12Ghz. I know lots of things but when it comes to OCing I'm pretty new at it. What I'm thinking is we got our memory(RAM) to CPU at the wrong frequency. BF3 MP is heavy on Disk to RAM to VRAM switch and that's why BF3 only appears to crash when playing online.

If I find a solution, i'll let you know...but I don't plan on figuring this out until after the holidays. Hopefully, someone else can help you (us) with this.


Hi,

Yes, I suspect the RAM as well - I've only got to nudge the FSB slightly and the performance of BF3 goes through the floor, can't see it as being a CPU stability issue to be honest.
December 20, 2011 1:37:35 PM

davaross said:
You have to bear in mind the fact that there is usually a great deal more going on in multiplayer than there is in singleplayer. In some games I experience up to a 15 fps drop from campaign to multiplayer. Did you test the stability of the overclock with something such as prime 95 or 3d mark for at least 12 hours? It could be that the overclock is not fully stable but singleplayer does not put enough strain on the processor for it to become visible.


I'll try that, however even when the graphics are turned right down (and presumably neither the CPU or the GPU are being anywhere near as stretched as they were when the graphics were set to high), overclocking still makes the game have this strange stutter/lag.
December 20, 2011 4:50:45 PM

davaross said:
You have to bear in mind the fact that there is usually a great deal more going on in multiplayer than there is in singleplayer. In some games I experience up to a 15 fps drop from campaign to multiplayer. Did you test the stability of the overclock with something such as prime 95 or 3d mark for at least 12 hours? It could be that the overclock is not fully stable but singleplayer does not put enough strain on the processor for it to become visible.


For me, I tested the OC (both GPU and CPU) on 3dMark 11. But I haven't tested it for stability (12 test). That said, nothing crashed in 3dMark11 (except once where I really cranked my GPU up). I might try Win 95 (Ackoman, you should try the same).
December 22, 2011 11:41:37 AM

ackoman said:
Hi,

Yes, I suspect the RAM as well - I've only got to nudge the FSB slightly and the performance of BF3 goes through the floor, can't see it as being a CPU stability issue to be honest.



Tried the following on the day of this thread (which is about 2-3 days ago). I set my CPU to 2.99 (aka 3GHZ) and set back my RAM timing to auto (instead of forcing it).

BF3 as been running smoothly ever since.

That said, if you really want the optimal benefits from your OCed CPU, you need to time your RAM accordingly. My auto may or may not be fully benefiting from my OC (I have yet to compare me previous scores in 3dMark11. But as for BF3, it's never ran more smoothly (getting a stable 40FPS+ in MP) at max settings (not incl. AA and some).

I'm even considering playing with 3D Vision (which drops FPS by almost half) because when I've done so, it ran smoothly enough to play defensively (though 25PFS is not enough to play offensively) which some people might argue.

Anyways, try your RAM timing at AUTO and go from there. You should see improvements (or at least less crashing).

Good luck.
December 22, 2011 6:30:36 PM

Alex The PC Gamer said:
Tried the following on the day of this thread (which is about 2-3 days ago). I set my CPU to 2.99 (aka 3GHZ) and set back my RAM timing to auto (instead of forcing it).

BF3 as been running smoothly ever since.

That said, if you really want the optimal benefits from your OCed CPU, you need to time your RAM accordingly. My auto may or may not be fully benefiting from my OC (I have yet to compare me previous scores in 3dMark11. But as for BF3, it's never ran more smoothly (getting a stable 40FPS+ in MP) at max settings (not incl. AA and some).

I'm even considering playing with 3D Vision (which drops FPS by almost half) because when I've done so, it ran smoothly enough to play defensively (though 25PFS is not enough to play offensively) which some people might argue.

Anyways, try your RAM timing at AUTO and go from there. You should see improvements (or at least less crashing).

Good luck.



Ok everyone,

It looks like I have fixed the 'stuttering when overclocking problem', in hindsight I probably shown have known to do this, but I'm getting slow in my advanced years....

The solution, DON'T USE GIGABYTE'S EASYTUNE SOFTWARE TO OVERCLOCK!

When I overclock by doing everything in the BIOS, it all works fine and dandy...... Woo hoo!

Thanks for all your assistance and advice.
!