Sign in with
Your question

New case with PSU. PSU FANs not running??

Last response: in Components
October 11, 2003 9:22:47 PM

Introduction:
I just bought a X superalien case by Aspire. This case came with a ATX12v 500W see thru power supply by the same manufacturer. On the initial first power up of a freshly put together system. I notice that the fans in the power supply did not turn ON. But the PSU is supplying power to the entire system. The HDD drive is spinning, the floppy drive is booting to DOS and the case fans are fired up too. I also notice a smell from the PSU. NOT smoke just a smell and the PSU was not HOT. Warm but not hot. Any way, I believe that the PSU is defective and I should return this case.

Questions:
1. Is the power supply supply defective?
2. Should the PSU fans turn on when powered up ?

Thanks,
October 12, 2003 12:15:43 AM

As far as I know, even smart fans should power up momentarily at least when you first plug the system in.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 13, 2003 3:15:49 PM

Why not contact the manufacturer's tech support and ask them if the fans should be running or not?

<pre><A HREF="http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030905" target="_new"><font color=black>People don't understand how hard being a dark god can be. - Hastur</font color=black></A></pre><p>
October 14, 2003 3:50:21 AM

Yes, I contacted the manufacture today. They basically told me that they will replace the power supply. But I am going to exchange the case for a Kingwin case with an Enermax EG465P-VE(FCA) PSU.

Thanks for the advice.
!