Added "bonus"

How does compaq justify Wild Tangent/ aka Spyware (among others) in their
products? Just wondering. Because this is just one reason I would not own
one. Or anything other hp product.

RX
6 answers Last reply
More about added bonus

    "Roxanne" <roxanne@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > How does compaq justify Wild Tangent/ aka Spyware (among others) in their
    > products? Just wondering. Because this is just one reason I would not own
    > one. Or anything other hp product.
    >
    > RX

    That should certainly not be the only reason you would never own a Compaq.
    Apparently you have never tried to fix a hardware problem with one. I have
    2 Compaq macines in my shop right now. I will never take in another one
    without money up front. By the time you fix them and charge appropriately
    they aren't worth the repair cost.

    --
    Herb Stein
    herb@herbstein.com

    "Herb Stein" <herb@herbstein.com> wrote in message

    "Roxanne" <roxanne@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > How does compaq justify Wild Tangent/ aka Spyware (among others) in their
    > products? Just wondering. Because this is just one reason I would not own
    > one. Or anything other hp product.
    >
    > RX

    That should certainly not be the only reason you would never own a Compaq.
    Apparently you have never tried to fix a hardware problem with one. I have
    2 Compaq macines in my shop right now. I will never take in another one
    without money up front. By the time you fix them and charge appropriately
    they aren't worth the repair cost.

    --
    Herb Stein
    herb@herbstein.com

    Oh yes I have, had three in our shop within the past week, the very
    *last* three I will *ever* be aggravated with, he, he. I will never do
    hardware on any of them again. And try to upgrade one. One "fun" time I had
    with one was when someone ELSE had fdisked and formatted one and I needed to
    get into the bios. The rompak did not work because there was "not enough
    space to available on the hard drive for the diagnostics partition. Free up
    at least 2 MBs of space at the beginning of the hard drive." At the
    beginning of the drive? I finally made it through this with another
    searched-for-hard utility... and that was my last compaq. Ever.

    Did you run a spyware detection utility BEFORE you connected to the Internet
    the first time?
    HH

    "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    Did you run a spyware detection utility BEFORE you connected to the Internet
    the first time?
    HH

    I saw these files being installed from the recovery disks. I have dealt
    with this with all of HP's products.

    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/library/wildtangent/index.phtml

    I uninstalled most of the games that involve the Wild Tangent driver.
    These games were installed during setup, thirty-day "tryout" games. This is
    blatant false advertisement of disk space. Another I see installed from the
    Compaq disks (and too many other products) is BackWeb Client - though not
    considered "so bad" by some, it also as its spyware abilities.

    I have connected this machine to the internet to install remaining
    Windows Updates just a short time ago *after* installing updates from my
    customer's Security Update Cd from microsoft. After I installed and updated
    an av program.

    Before reinstall I found "bad block" errors in event viewer. After
    runnning extensive hard disk tests, I discovered hard drive failure . On a
    two-year old machine.

    But the real kicker here was when I tried to delete the "Compaq Hot
    Deals" icon. And lo, a dialogue window immediately popped up from the
    antivirus program I installed; seems "trojan downloader.presario.A" had been
    detected in C:\windows\system32\mscmtsrvc.exe.- haaa! Because I clicked on
    this icon.

    According to Compaq Support -
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpb11751
    seems "msCMTSrvc.exe is an application that was installed on the computer by
    Compaq called the Content Monitoring Tool Service (CMTS). The Compaq Offer
    Zone, displayed on the desktop as the Hot Deals icon, uses the CMTS to
    update the computer when new merchandise is available for purchase by the
    user. This application will not harm the computer: CMTS will attempt to
    contact the Offer Zone every 10 minutes. If a firewall is installed on the
    computer, this process may appear to be malicious. The firewall may warn the
    user that the computer is under attack." Personally, I do not want *anyone*
    else connecting to the internet every 10 minutes using up my bandwidth. The
    consumer should not have to deal with these problems, especially after a
    so-called clean install.

    I have in sympathy to my customers quite often become quite angry with
    HP/Compaq, whatever, with their misleading practices. This is very wrong. If
    it didn't seem such a crime was being committed here to the consumer, I
    would fall over laughing. but this time it is personal. This is my
    brother's machine. I am dreading telling him the status of his hard drive.
    And this machine has been maintained correctly.

    I repeat. I would not own a Compaq or other hp product. But then,
    custom is best always.

    Roxanne

    "Roxanne" <roxanne@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > How does compaq justify Wild Tangent/ aka Spyware (among others) in their
    > products? Just wondering. Because this is just one reason I would not own
    > one. Or anything other hp product.
    >
    > RX

    >BackWeb Client - though not
    >considered "so bad" by some, it also as its spyware abilities.

    When I did my first Spybot scan there was a pile BW tracking cookies. Before I
    deleted them SB warned that I should read my TOS contract. BS-Delete!

    Having that out of the way, I went to Add/remove programs. I couldn't remove BW
    that way. OK. Windows Explorer-Delete.

    Now whenever I boot up I get an error message pertaining to BW. I probably need
    to edit the registry but I am not up to that.

    This is not the path to customer satisfaction. Obvious to most but not to HP.
    The Gamester

    Homepage
    http://members.aol.com/wergames
    (I'm not a commie merely a Trotskyite revisionist)
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    That's why, instead of deleting a folder, it's wise to just rename it first,
    then check if any issues arise. You then can restore the original name if
    necessary....for future reference.
    Oh, Backweb on many Compaqs is called the Compaq Service Connection and can
    be uninstalled via Control Panel.
    Did you try running the Immunize function in SpyBot S&D? That likely would
    have stopped the Backweb cookies from reappearing.

    HH

    "Gamester" <gamepicks@aol.commie.com> wrote in message
    > >BackWeb Client - though not
    > >considered "so bad" by some, it also as its spyware abilities.
    >
    > When I did my first Spybot scan there was a pile BW tracking cookies.
    Before I
    > deleted them SB warned that I should read my TOS contract. BS-Delete!
    >
    > Having that out of the way, I went to Add/remove programs. I couldn't
    remove BW
    > that way. OK. Windows Explorer-Delete.
    >
    > Now whenever I boot up I get an error message pertaining to BW. I probably
    need
    > to edit the registry but I am not up to that.
    >
    > This is not the path to customer satisfaction. Obvious to most but not to
    HP.
    > The Gamester
    >
    > Homepage
    > http://members.aol.com/wergames
    > (I'm not a commie merely a Trotskyite revisionist)

Compaq Hewlett Packard Computers