Bandwidth drops to zero at precise intervals for a seccond

Hi all.

PREABLE

Having had a nightmare with wireless and an Edimax Access point (don't buy
an Edimax AP! EW-7203APg) I took it back, an bought myself the PC Pro
Recommended Kcorp 575 gold.
(http://www.kcorplifestyle.com/products/goldSeries/KLG-575/KLG-575.htm)

Well what a difference, you tell it you want WPA and it to work, and it just
did :)

It is worth pointing out, I'm still using the Edimax Client Cards, a
EW-7108PCg For the laptop, and EW-7128g For the 2 desktops.

As the title suggests, I'm having a problem with the available bandwith.

THE POINT OF THE POST

If I look at a bandwidth monitor, like the one in Kerio Personal Firwall
(its just a line chart that tells you the ins and outs), regardless of where
information is coming from (internet, other Wireless, or a wired computer)
at precise intervals, which vary between 30 to 60 seconds, Incoming/outgoing
packets drops to ZERO, nothing at all, for just under a second.

When downloading files, I can cope with this, when playing Battlefield 2, OH
NO, it says 'problem with connection' every time, so that's every 40 or 60
seconds, depending what mood its in. this is unacceptable.

What can I do to correct the problem? Do you think its worth me buying a
Kcorp client card just for my gaming PC?

THANKS

Thanks in advance to any suggestions, I will let you know how I get on.

Adam
6 answers Last reply
More about bandwidth drops precise intervals seccond

    Might try Services
    Wireless Zero Configuration
    set it to Disabled

    some wifi drivers conflict with WZC
    so you might need to use the wifi card makers configuration utility

    Thanks for quick reply.

    I'm already using the software that came with the client cards, and not WZC
    on the laptop.

    And my gaming pc is windows 2000 anyhow, so that is not an option!

    It would seem I'm not the only one with this problem, but on different
    hardware:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13775419?hilite=gaming+wrt54g

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.internet.wireless/browse_thread/thread/
    f45aae09844e8cc8/5911ebb56bf73029?lnk=st&q=wireless+%22problem+with+your+con
    nection%22&rnum=1&hl=en#5911ebb56bf73029

    so, there must be an answere!!!!

    thanks

    adam

    "ad" <aduxdlzey@antispamremoveXsandZds.aduxdlzey.net> wrote:
    >at precise intervals, which vary between 30 to 60 seconds, Incoming/outgoing
    >packets drops to ZERO, nothing at all, for just under a second.

    Are you near an airport, industrial park, or other potential source of
    interference? Sure sounds like a classis case of RFI...

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:46:08 GMT, "ad"
    <aduxdlzey@antispamremoveXsandZds.aduxdlzey.net> wrote:

    >If I look at a bandwidth monitor, like the one in Kerio Personal Firwall
    >(its just a line chart that tells you the ins and outs), regardless of where
    >information is coming from (internet, other Wireless, or a wired computer)
    >at precise intervals, which vary between 30 to 60 seconds, Incoming/outgoing
    >packets drops to ZERO, nothing at all, for just under a second.

    My guess(tm) is that some daemon (resident program) is check to see if
    you're connected to the internet. For some odd reason, some of these
    programs cause network traffic to stall. Programs like Symantec Live
    Update check every 5 minutes. I suggest you download, install, and
    run Startup Inspector for Windoze at:
    http://www.WindowsStartup.com
    and disable anything in the startup that doesn't belong or you can
    live without.

    Another way to identify the culprit is to use the XP Task Manager.
    Right Click on the "task bar" and select "Task Manager". See which
    Application or Process is popping up every 30-60 seconds.

    You can probably verify that it's a program and not a wireless issue
    by disabling the wireless and running a CAT5 cable directly to the
    router. If the problem persists, it's in the computah. If it
    magically is cured with a direct LAN connection, then we try another
    guess.

    >When downloading files, I can cope with this, when playing Battlefield 2, OH
    >NO, it says 'problem with connection' every time, so that's every 40 or 60
    >seconds, depending what mood its in. this is unacceptable.
    >
    >What can I do to correct the problem? Do you think its worth me buying a
    >Kcorp client card just for my gaming PC?

    I don't think there's anything wrong with your wireless. Methinks
    it's a Windoze issue, but I can't tell the exact cause from here.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    AE6KS 831-336-2558

    hi, thanks for your reply,

    no, non of those things, and the noise level reported is 'normal' and on one
    of the computers its 0%.

    as mentionioned, I'm not the only one with this exact problem.

    also, if it was interference, do you think it would happen at these exact
    intervals??

    "ad" <aduxdlzey@antispamremoveXsandZds.aduxdlzey.net> top-posted:
    >also, if it was interference, do you think it would happen at these exact
    >intervals??

    Absolutely! Airport radars, industrial processes, and lots of other
    things happen on regular intervals.

Wireless Bandwidth Wireless Networking