SVCHOST Hangs CPU 100% On Bootup

Hi all- Have seen this posted quite a few times but no clearcut resolution.
I have upgraded all of our pcs to SP2 (WinXP). Since then only some of the
pc's exhibit issue. SVCHOST maxes at 100% for 5-10 minutes on bootup then
resumes normalcy.

I've narrowed it down to the Internet Connection Firewall causing the issue
(if I kill it the prob. goes away). I need to have this enabled. (Besides,
why is it only happening on some machines and not others?)

THINGS I HAVE DONE:
1. Run Spyware & Virus check (almost daily). McAfee and 2 different
anti-spyware apps.
2. Ran http://support.microsoft.com/?id=887742.
3. Checked unsigned device drivers (sigverif).
4. Affected pcs run different audio/video/sound cards (no consistency).
5. Disabled Application Layer Gateway service.

None of the above helped. Any ideas or suggestions as to what else I could
try? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
6 answers Last reply
More about svchost hangs bootup

    Is it the Windows Firewall or a third party Firewall?

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "DavisSon" <DavisSon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all- Have seen this posted quite a few times but no clearcut
    > resolution.
    > I have upgraded all of our pcs to SP2 (WinXP). Since then only some
    > of the
    > pc's exhibit issue. SVCHOST maxes at 100% for 5-10 minutes on bootup
    > then
    > resumes normalcy.
    >
    > I've narrowed it down to the Internet Connection Firewall causing the
    > issue
    > (if I kill it the prob. goes away). I need to have this enabled.
    > (Besides,
    > why is it only happening on some machines and not others?)
    >
    > THINGS I HAVE DONE:
    > 1. Run Spyware & Virus check (almost daily). McAfee and 2 different
    > anti-spyware apps.
    > 2. Ran http://support.microsoft.com/?id=887742.
    > 3. Checked unsigned device drivers (sigverif).
    > 4. Affected pcs run different audio/video/sound cards (no
    > consistency).
    > 5. Disabled Application Layer Gateway service.
    >
    > None of the above helped. Any ideas or suggestions as to what else I
    > could
    > try? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
    > advance.

    Windows Firewall. Disabling it resolves the prob. However, we need to it
    enabled.

    "Gerry Cornell" wrote:

    > Is it the Windows Firewall or a third party Firewall?
    >

    > --
    >

    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Gerry
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > FCA
    >
    > Using invalid email address
    >
    > Stourport, Worcs, England
    > Enquire, plan and execute.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > Please tell the newsgroup how any
    > suggested solution worked for you.
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >
    > "DavisSon" <DavisSon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all- Have seen this posted quite a few times but no clearcut
    > > resolution.
    > > I have upgraded all of our pcs to SP2 (WinXP). Since then only some
    > > of the
    > > pc's exhibit issue. SVCHOST maxes at 100% for 5-10 minutes on bootup
    > > then
    > > resumes normalcy.
    > >
    > > I've narrowed it down to the Internet Connection Firewall causing the
    > > issue
    > > (if I kill it the prob. goes away). I need to have this enabled.
    > > (Besides,
    > > why is it only happening on some machines and not others?)
    > >
    > > THINGS I HAVE DONE:
    > > 1. Run Spyware & Virus check (almost daily). McAfee and 2 different
    > > anti-spyware apps.
    > > 2. Ran http://support.microsoft.com/?id=887742.
    > > 3. Checked unsigned device drivers (sigverif).
    > > 4. Affected pcs run different audio/video/sound cards (no
    > > consistency).
    > > 5. Disabled Application Layer Gateway service.
    > >
    > > None of the above helped. Any ideas or suggestions as to what else I
    > > could
    > > try? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
    > > advance.

    You do not appear to have tracked down the Service / Application using
    SVCHOST. The Windows Firewall blocks Inbound but not Outbound
    connections so I would look for an application not getting a reply.

    Task Manager is useful but you could look at another freeware utility
    Process Explorer, which provides similar information but adds that
    little bit extra towards seeing what the running processes represent.

    For further information about Process Explorer see here:

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

    To ascertain which service is causing the
    problem select the svchost producing the high CPU usage, right click,
    select Properties, Services. Note there are the full names and some
    explanation of what each service does.

    You will find further information on Services here:

    To trace the particular Service involved you need to turn off each
    service in turn and then restore it noting what effect it has on CPU
    usage. However, you need to take care and watch what other Services are
    dependent on that service. When you click on the Dependencies tab allow
    it a little time to display the information.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > Windows Firewall. Disabling it resolves the prob. However, we need
    > to it
    > enabled.
    >

    > "Gerry Cornell" wrote:
    >
    >> Is it the Windows Firewall or a third party Firewall?
    >>

    >> --
    >>

    >> Hope this helps.
    >>
    >> Gerry
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >> FCA
    >>
    >> Using invalid email address
    >>
    >> Stourport, Worcs, England
    >> Enquire, plan and execute.
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >> Please tell the newsgroup how any
    >> suggested solution worked for you.
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>
    >> "DavisSon" <DavisSon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi all- Have seen this posted quite a few times but no clearcut
    >> > resolution.
    >> > I have upgraded all of our pcs to SP2 (WinXP). Since then only
    >> > some
    >> > of the
    >> > pc's exhibit issue. SVCHOST maxes at 100% for 5-10 minutes on
    >> > bootup
    >> > then
    >> > resumes normalcy.
    >> >
    >> > I've narrowed it down to the Internet Connection Firewall causing
    >> > the
    >> > issue
    >> > (if I kill it the prob. goes away). I need to have this enabled.
    >> > (Besides,
    >> > why is it only happening on some machines and not others?)
    >> >
    >> > THINGS I HAVE DONE:
    >> > 1. Run Spyware & Virus check (almost daily). McAfee and 2
    >> > different
    >> > anti-spyware apps.
    >> > 2. Ran http://support.microsoft.com/?id=887742.
    >> > 3. Checked unsigned device drivers (sigverif).
    >> > 4. Affected pcs run different audio/video/sound cards (no
    >> > consistency).
    >> > 5. Disabled Application Layer Gateway service.
    >> >
    >> > None of the above helped. Any ideas or suggestions as to what else
    >> > could
    >> > try? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
    >> > advance.

    Thanks Gerry - I have downloaded filemon & regmon but exluded Proccess Exp.
    since I thought I had it pinpointed - will try. Thanks and will let you know
    how it goes.

    "Gerry Cornell" wrote:

    > You do not appear to have tracked down the Service / Application using
    > SVCHOST. The Windows Firewall blocks Inbound but not Outbound
    > connections so I would look for an application not getting a reply.
    >
    > Task Manager is useful but you could look at another freeware utility
    > Process Explorer, which provides similar information but adds that
    > little bit extra towards seeing what the running processes represent.
    >
    > For further information about Process Explorer see here:
    >
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
    >
    > To ascertain which service is causing the
    > problem select the svchost producing the high CPU usage, right click,
    > select Properties, Services. Note there are the full names and some
    > explanation of what each service does.
    >
    > You will find further information on Services here:
    > http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    >
    > To trace the particular Service involved you need to turn off each
    > service in turn and then restore it noting what effect it has on CPU
    > usage. However, you need to take care and watch what other Services are
    > dependent on that service. When you click on the Dependencies tab allow
    > it a little time to display the information.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Gerry
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > FCA
    >
    > Using invalid email address
    >
    > Stourport, Worcs, England
    > Enquire, plan and execute.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > Please tell the newsgroup how any
    > suggested solution worked for you.
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >
    > "DavisSon" <DavisSon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Windows Firewall. Disabling it resolves the prob. However, we need
    > > to it
    > > enabled.
    > >

    > > "Gerry Cornell" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Is it the Windows Firewall or a third party Firewall?
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> Hope this helps.
    > >>
    > >> Gerry
    > >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > >> FCA
    > >>
    > >> Using invalid email address
    > >>
    > >> Stourport, Worcs, England
    > >> Enquire, plan and execute.
    > >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > >> Please tell the newsgroup how any
    > >> suggested solution worked for you.
    > >>
    > >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >>
    > >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > >>
    > >> "DavisSon" <DavisSon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    I've got a similar problem as DavisSon. Using Process Explorer I've found
    that an instance of svchost.exe with only the Dnscache service is consuming
    my CPU. If I kill the process then the problem goes away. However, this may
    make other apps like Explorer do funny things, like take me off line
    constantly. Anyone know how I can repair the Dnscache service?

    "Gerry Cornell" wrote:

    > You do not appear to have tracked down the Service / Application using
    > SVCHOST. The Windows Firewall blocks Inbound but not Outbound
    > connections so I would look for an application not getting a reply.
    >
    > Task Manager is useful but you could look at another freeware utility
    > Process Explorer, which provides similar information but adds that
    > little bit extra towards seeing what the running processes represent.
    >
    > For further information about Process Explorer see here:
    >
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
    >
    > To ascertain which service is causing the
    > problem select the svchost producing the high CPU usage, right click,
    > select Properties, Services. Note there are the full names and some
    > explanation of what each service does.
    >
    > You will find further information on Services here:
    > http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    >
    > To trace the particular Service involved you need to turn off each
    > service in turn and then restore it noting what effect it has on CPU
    > usage. However, you need to take care and watch what other Services are
    > dependent on that service. When you click on the Dependencies tab allow
    > it a little time to display the information.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Gerry
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > FCA
    >
    > Using invalid email address
    >
    > Stourport, Worcs, England
    > Enquire, plan and execute.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > Please tell the newsgroup how any
    > suggested solution worked for you.
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >
    > "DavisSon" <DavisSon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Windows Firewall. Disabling it resolves the prob. However, we need
    > > to it
    > > enabled.
    > >

    > > "Gerry Cornell" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Is it the Windows Firewall or a third party Firewall?
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> Hope this helps.
    > >>
    > >> Gerry
    > >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > >> FCA
    > >>
    > >> Using invalid email address
    > >>
    > >> Stourport, Worcs, England
    > >> Enquire, plan and execute.
    > >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > >> Please tell the newsgroup how any
    > >> suggested solution worked for you.
    > >>
    > >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >>
    > >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > >>
    > >> "DavisSon" <DavisSon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    John,

    This behavior is normal if you have a huge HOSTS file.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting